Week 11 Colts Week

Chandler#81

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well you are sorta' straw-manning here.

You quote that I'm wrong about the CB draft...........but then you go on about DB's in general.    Two different arguments.

That 2017 draft didn't have a true superstar at the top nor a bunch of CB's with both good overall track records but also running sub 4.4's............there were a lot of question marks.   Tre White wasn't a workout warrior but he was everything else.   That's what I liked about him.

In hindsight Lattimore and Humphrey got put in great situations and have done well(Humphrey less-so without the normal fierce Ravens pass rush support this year).   But yeah.......White IS the best of the bunch.........though none of the successes have been Jalen Ramsey or Stephon Gilmore level good.    Even at the time Lattimore was basically at best Gilmore but with A LOT of injury concerns........so NOT a dynamic looking group.

But again........part of me watching the CB's in season was also considering who would fit well on a Bills roster desperate for safety help.   As you know.........I would almost never pick any safety in round 1.........so White was intriguing to me because I thought he could do both at a high level.   The Bills were loaded at CB at the time with Gilmore(franchise option) and Darby under team control.......but you can never have enough if you end up playing a lot of man.    When the scheme changed and they inexplicably let Gilmore walk for nothing.......that elevated White to an asset of much greater value to the Bills.

Also keep in mind........this was still around the time when you had takes like "Shaq Lawson is the 9th overall player on my board in the entire draft"...........

Yep. I was wrong on Shaq. I was not wrong on the corners in 2017. It was a really good class and it has produced 3 top 10 NFL cornerbacks. How many other classes can you say that of? 

EDIT: I also had Jalen Ramsey as the #1 player in his entire class when the talk at the time was he'd need to be a safety in the NFL. Even now with defensive ends my hit rate isn't super high. My record with defensive backs is much better. 

Edited by GunnerBill

I’d be a lot more confident if Jonathan Taylor was missing for this. But then I felt even more confident about the Jags match up when they announced James Robinson was absent and… Spencer Brown being on the Covid list doesn’t help either.

Get to 8-3 heading into the Pats and I’ll feel happier but I do worry not taking advantage of the schedule could be our downfall. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hey.  You got linkies, there, Bro?  Would like to take you up on the suggestion.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/shout-a-football-podcast-on-the-buffalo-bills/id1507446314?i=1000542411904

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/what-the-bills-can-expect-from-the-colts-with-zak-keefer/id1373776577?i=1000542502129

Here ya go. Great for listening while driving around today or pregame tomorrow.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd suggest you stay out of the investigative journalist field. 

As I've said.........I don't dig up my work to prove something to a random reader of my post.........there are literally thousands of people reading this forum every day.   Pretty sure you just floated to the surface here when the toilet got flushed at BuffaloBills.com message board..........if you were wrong enough to be there instead of here THEN.......well you have a tendency to be really wrong, IMO.

So you went half-assed looking hoping to find nothing..........and instead very quickly came away with circumstantial evidence that suggests you were wrong about my approval of White..........so you've decided you were....... right??   Mmkay.  

Keep in mind......... @Logic declared that I have been a critic of Tre White........anyone who reads my stuff regularly.........and now you after seeing the post declaring the pick a success..........knows that is not correct.   Did you see me demanding that he provide evidence?   I simply refuted it because I know he's wrong.  

So your problem is the perception that I didn't "bang the table" for Tre White?   I rarely do that for anyone.

For instance the only player I really advocated for PRIOR to the 2014 draft was Aaron Donald.   I started a thread,  gave my reasons.   Left it at that.   A lot of people thought he was more of a mid-late first rounder.....some even felt he didn't belong in round 1.   Probably the least responded too thread started in my entire time on TSW. :lol:  He ended up being what I said he would........an instant smash success.......and now he's easily been the best player from that draft........maybe the best defensive player picked at all since then.   But I didn't bang the table 100 times then either so I guess it doesn't count.    

A high volume of speculation about acquiring players doesn't will it into existence.   If we are going to get into repetitive discussion I prefer discussing things that are more within team control.

Oh look another I am better than you post by badobillz how original

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Franchise record for consecutive games with a 100+ passer rating is 6 by Jim Kelly and spanned the 1990 and 1991 seasons. Allen had 5 going into the Jags game. If it was not for that debacle he would be at 7 which would have matched Mahomes career high streak set back in 2018. The NFL record is 12 games set by Aaron Rodgers in the 2011 season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

jonathan taylor will equal the record for most consecutive 100 yd rushing games (8) if he rushes for 100 yds this week - can we keep him under 100? 

Don't care.  Just get the Dub

We gave up 120 rush yards to the Chiefs and won.  Gave up 146 rush yards to the Titans and lost, but it wasn't the rush yards that did for us in a 3 point loss.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

not feeling to confident about this match up, prob due to covid and injuries and Colts being pretty healthy, JA may have to have a "take the game over" type of performance which he is def capable of doing (if he gets any time to throw) he pretty much put the team on his back the last time these two teams played. 

5 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

I’d be a lot more confident if Jonathan Taylor was missing for this. But then I felt even more confident about the Jags match up when they announced James Robinson was absent and… Spencer Brown being on the Covid list doesn’t help either.

Get to 8-3 heading into the Pats and I’ll feel happier but I do worry not taking advantage of the schedule could be our downfall. 

Look at it this way.  If we "take advantage of the schedule" by beating the Jags yet can't handle the rest of the schedule, we're not where we need to be anyway.

In the best case scenario, the Jags loss was the equivalent of ripping the bandage off a nasty boil that had been festering since the end of last season and popped up in the season opener loss - to whit, Daboll's apparent persistent belief that we can win games without offering other teams the shred of a threat towards a run game, thus allowing them to blanket the field with 5 defenders plus 2 safeties and bring overload pressure with 4 by vacating one side of the line (because they know we won't run).  I think we dismissed Pittsburgh as an anomaly due to their strong DL, but now other teams with merely decent DLs have shown they can do it.

So now we all see it.

The unanswered questions are

1) can we "heal" during the season against teams other than the Jets, with the personnel we have?

2) do we need Spencer Brown at RT and Williams at RG to make that work?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't care.  Just get the Dub

We gave up 120 rush yards to the Chiefs and won.  Gave up 146 rush yards to the Titans and lost, but it wasn't the rush yards that did for us in a 3 point loss.

to me, on D, the key is going to be third down stops. Taylor will get his runs. We usually don’t give up many big plays. So, can we stop them on 3rd and 4ish in this game? If so, the D will come out ahead. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billybob71 said:

not feeling to confident about this match up, prob due to covid and injuries and Colts being pretty healthy, JA may have to have a "take the game over" type of performance which he is def capable of doing (if he gets any time to throw) he pretty much put the team on his back the last time these two teams played. 

Colts aren’t that healthy. They have a lot of guys who are playing injured. Not unlike a lot of teams at this point of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Colts aren’t that healthy. They have a lot of guys who are playing injured. Not unlike a lot of teams at this point of the season.

Just read Leonard has been in on 9 turnovers for the Colts all while playing on a bum ankle the entire season. Wow.

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

jonathan taylor will equal the record for most consecutive 100 yd rushing games (8) if he rushes for 100 yds this week - can we keep him under 100? 

Good question. I would rather the Bills stay in their “base D” which happens to be a nickel package. Maybe have Johnson sneak up and and a safety. 
Pittman and Taylor are the main threats. Wentz to me is very Ryan Tannehill like as a threat. He isn’t going to take a game over and throw for 300+ yards unless that’s what you are leaving him. In fact Wentz has one game over 300 yards…against Baltimore when he threw for 401 with a long 76 TD throw. Mostly he is in the mid to low 200’s and some well below that. Bills should play their D and make the Colts work for every yard.
Think the Bills O is able to put numbers up on the Colts D, will come down to not settling for field goals in the redzone for the Bills.

7 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Good question. I would rather the Bills stay in their “base D” which happens to be a nickel package. Maybe have Johnson sneak up and and a safety. 
Pittman and Taylor are the main threats. Wentz to me is very Ryan Tannehill like as a threat. He isn’t going to take a game over and throw for 300+ yards unless that’s what you are leaving him. In fact Wentz has one game over 300 yards…against Baltimore when he threw for 401 with a long 76 TD throw. Mostly he is in the mid to low 200’s and some well below that. Bills should play their D and make the Colts work for every yard.
Think the Bills O is able to put numbers up on the Colts D, will come down to not settling for field goals in the redzone for the Bills.

This.  All about holding the Colts to field goals.  Do that and this is a very winnable game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The one game the Bills did not stay in their base nickel D was against the titans and they got shredded. Hopefully they learned to adjust after that film. 

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Pretty sure his long 76 yard throw against Baltimore was just a little dump off to Taylor on the sideline, and Taylor did the rest.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.