Get your platitudes polished, Isaiah: McDermott sics the Press on ‘lil Dirty

Hapless Bills Fan

In his postgame presser, McDermott was asked about Isaiah McKenzie getting the WR group together before the game and giving some kind of a speech, and how has he developed as a player?

McDermott made it clear that he is proud of ‘lil Dirty and how he’s developed as a person and a player, but he also sic’d the press dogs on him!!!!

”You guys should look into his story a little deeper.  He hasn’t come from much, and he’s given so much to our football team”

Run, Isaiah, Run!  Or if you don’t want to run…decide on what you want to keep private and what you want to share, and polish up your platitudes!

I think he probably does have a cool life story and it would be interesting to hear it.  That’s the sort of feature Tim Graham or Ty Dunne used to excel in writing.  

What I know about McKenzie:

-he said his mother left him in the hospital when he was born, never came back

-he was raised by an older relative - Grandmother or Aunt

-kind of left on his own.  Had some friends he would meet in the park and play basketball.  I suspect that like Beasley, he can probably dunk though I haven’t seen it on video

-was fired from his first job at a fast food restaurant, for eating too much of the merchandise

-he said he was going on college recruiting visits on his own.  he picked Georgia in the end because he went to High School with Sony Michel, and Michel had “his people” researching everything.  So he figured he could kind of follow their trail, if their research said it was a good choice for Michel it was probably a good choice for him

Anyway since McDermott practically told them there was a story there, expect someone to come looking

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

We saw today one of the reasons we lost to the Jagoffs, Titians, and Squeelers.  McKittrick has been invisible in the game plan for most of the year.  ALL THIS GUY DOES IS MAKE PLAYS!!  Nearly every time he touches the ball, good things happen for the Bills.  He needs to get 4-6 offensive touches a game, instead of the 0,1,2 touches he's been getting.  MAKE IT HAPPEN DABOLL!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In his postgame presser, McDermott was asked about Isaiah McKenzie getting the WR group together before the game and giving some kind of a speech, and how has he developed as a player?

McDermott made it clear that he is proud of ‘lil Dirty and how he’s developed as a person and a player, but he also sic’d the press dogs on him!!!!

”You guys should look into his story a little deeper.  He hasn’t come from much, and he’s given so much to our football team”

Run, Isaiah, Run!  Or if you don’t want to run…decide on what you want to keep private and what you want to share, and polish up your platitudes!

I think he probably does have a cool life story and it would be interesting to hear it.  That’s the sort of feature Tim Graham or Ty Dunne used to excel in writing.  

-kind of left on his own.  Had some friends he would meet in the park and play basketball.  I suspect that like Beasley, he can probably dunk though I haven’t seen it on video

-was fired from his first job at a fast food restaurant, for eating too much of the merchandise

-he said he was going on college recruiting visits on his own.  he picked Georgia in the end because he went to High School with Sony Michel, and Michel had “his people” researching everything.  So he figured he could kind of follow their trail, if their research said it was a good choice for Michel it was probably a good choice for him

Anyway since McDermott practically told them there was a story there, expect someone to come looking

@Speaker

If it really was true, I was somewhat (pleasantly) surprised that he was so anxious to re-sign w/ Buffalo.  Here, he's like the 5th option.  You'd think based on his production, given such limited opportunity someone would be willing to throw more $ at him than we were willing to and that they would give him the opportunity to be a far greater contributor.  Both of which are good incentives.  Glad he did opt to stay.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This was a pretty good profile from Tyler Dunne from last year:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-secret-weapon-isaiah

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We saw today one of the reasons we lost to the Jagoffs, Titians, and Squeelers.  McKittrick has been invisible in the game plan for most of the year.  ALL THIS GUY DOES IS MAKE PLAYS!!  Nearly every time he touches the ball, good things happen for the Bills.  He needs to get 4-6 offensive touches a game, instead of the 0,1,2 touches he's been getting.  MAKE IT HAPPEN DABOLL!!

True, and I like him getting some touches, but I never want to see him (our best return guy) running the ball late in fourth quarter leading by 20+.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

If it really was true, I was somewhat (pleasantly) surprised that he was so anxious to re-sign w/ Buffalo.  Here, he's like the 5th option.  You'd think based on his production, given such limited opportunity someone would be willing to throw more $ at him than we were willing to and that they would give him the opportunity to be a far greater contributor.  Both of which are good incentives.  Glad he did opt to stay.

He's still developing as a route runner and he knows he can get some of the best coaching and mentoring at his craft here

He wanted a 2nd chance at the KR/PR role and he was promised an open competition here.

And lastly, I don't think he turned down a longer term, higher money contract to come back here.  I think he had several essentially "vet minimum" offers, and the Bills offered him basically a "season on practice squad"'s worth of guaranteed money.  'Lil Dirty has plenty of street smarts, and knows that the guaranteed money matters most.

And he's been pretty good, but he still has work to do.  It seems to me he misplayed one kickoff yesterday which resulted in us being at the 5 yd line (I shouldn't have to point out, but I will, that he gave us excellent field position on others).  He also alligator armed a pass, though it was a very difficult pass running in traffic - Honestly Josh probably shouldn't have thrown that.

5 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

One thing about this guy.  He must lead the league in return yardage called back for a penalty.  So many good returns, oh there's a flag

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've had that thought.

This is after a very quick search, but I believe it shows that Buffalo is near the top (in the bad way) for ST penalty yards.  It's not specific, but probably a decent indicator that this hunch is valid.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/phase.php?view=total&year=2021

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Don’t forget the return he made against the Jags on the opening kick

1 hour ago, Blainorama5 said:

How could someone NOT do an indepth dive?  He's the face of the franchise!!  😉

I’m still waiting for him to open a BBQ restaurant here. I miss Suzy Qs

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't recall him thriving on attention.  Do you have any examples?

Think he meant in a light hearted way.

His comments couple months back calling himself the face of the franchise.  Couple weeks back he made some type of similar statement.  Always in jest.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He's been magic with the ball since day one with the Bills. 

How many returns has he already broke free this year? Especially if you include the ones called back. 

Dude is not near his potential yet. Not being used enough. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.