HFA: Man, we have to run the table and get help…from the Pats and Steelers

dollars 2 donuts

Unfortunately the Bills have lost all 3 games that were close and blown everyone else out.   They need to perform and win close games.   There is not a lot of room for error and those games vs the Pats will be a war.   You might not like Mac Jones but they dont ask him to do that much.  And what they have asked him to do, he was done well.  They can muddy up any game they are in to keep it close with the running game and defense.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, buffblue said:

At this point, the #1 is out and I will be rooting heavily for the Titans against the Pats in 2 weeks. Sucks, but we HAVE to secure the division first.

This feels shortsighted to me.

I’d rather the Pats beat the Titans.

The Bills control their own destiny with two games remaining against the Patriots. Win those games and the Patriots have 6 losses (minimum). I don’t see the Bills losing 3 of their 5 non-Pat games remaining. Which is what it would take for the Patriots to win the division if we beat them both times.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, cage said:

I always liked Tyrod... he'll help with one!

The Texans kind of gave up on the season when they blew it vs the Pats, then cut Mercilus (sp?), then didn't play Tyrod vs the Rams. I also think they have had some injuries on the offensive line, so they can't rush the ball like they could earlier with Tyrod. They probably have the worst offense in football right now

Edited by Rumblinstumblin

I'd rather play the Titans instead of:

Baltimore

KC

Chargers

Pats

True story. 

17 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think Tenn could lose to NE and the Steelers

Agree. Those teams can stop the run and make Tennessee one dimensional. 

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

The Bills control their own destiny with two games remaining against the Patriots. Win those games and the Patriots have 6 losses (minimum). I don’t see the Bills losing 3 of their 5 non-Pat games remaining. Which is what it would take for the Patriots to win the division if we beat them both times.

I can see this point of view, but to me it is unwise to assume we are going to sweep the Pats.

If your scenario doesn't play out and we drop another "should win" game, we could be looking at a wild card and having to win 3 straight road games to get to the Bowl. I'd rather just secure the division. Even if the Pats beat the Titans, we are still highly unlikely to catch Tennessee given their schedule.

I'd have to disagree w/ this assessment.  Sure, we control our destiny w/ 2 against the Pats - but sweeping them this year is going to be a challenge. I'd much rather have the assurance of winning the division.

Not that it matters who we as fans root for - but I'm 100% behind TN in that match-up.

I have given up on the notion of getting the 1 seed in the AFC.

The Titans have a Charmin soft schedule left. Even IF they lost the required two games, the Bills would need to win out. The likelihood of both things happening -- the Titans losing two games and the Bills losing zero games -- seems quite low.

I'm not as upset about the loss of home field advantage as I am about the loss of that bye week. It's a real shame considering how easy the Bills schedule was this year, but hey...that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 3

On 11/15/2021 at 12:31 PM, buffblue said:

I can see this point of view, but to me it is unwise to assume we are going to sweep the Pats.

If your scenario doesn't play out and we drop another "should win" game, we could be looking at a wild card and having to win 3 straight road games to get to the Bowl. I'd rather just secure the division. Even if the Pats beat the Titans, we are still highly unlikely to catch Tennessee given their schedule.

The difference between a wild card and a division winner is 1 home game.

And as many dome proponents point out, our offense isn’t exactly built to play in snow. So i’m not sure losing the home game

would even matter (as much as I as a fan would want to be there).

To me, it’s #1 seed or bust. #2-#7 is all the same.

I've contemplated the playoff picture for the Bills the last few weeks, really since the Miami first half. And honestly, I'm not just saying this but I'm not sure the Bye Week helps the Bills this year UNLESS there is an IR designation that could result in a return during that time OR there is a COVID issue that would give the Bills more time to get a key player back. 

But as for just football, this team seems to do much better by playing week in and week out. No, I'm not ignoring the rest the team gets or to heal and focus for two weeks, but it just seems this Bills team plays better when there's no rust or too much down time in between. 

On 11/15/2021 at 3:27 PM, Logic said:

I have given up on the notion of getting the 1 seed in the AFC.

The Titans have a Charmin soft schedule left. Even IF they lost the required two games, the Bills would need to win out. The likelihood of both things happening -- the Titans losing two games and the Bills losing zero games -- seems quite low.

I'm not as upset about the loss of home field advantage as I am about the loss of that bye week. It's a real shame considering how easy the Bills schedule was this year, but hey...that's the way the cookie crumbles.

yep.  I can see the Titans losing 2 of their remaining games, but I also don’t think we’ll win out.

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

The difference between a wild card and a division winner is 1 home game.

And as many dome proponents point out, our offense isn’t exactly built to play in snow. So i’m not sure losing the home game

would even matter (as much as I as a fan would want to be there).

To me, it’s #1 seed or bust. #2-#7 is all the same.

The number 2 seed is guaranteed two home games out of the three.  Could potentially turn into all 3 home games if the 1 seed loses their division game.  Assuming they win both games of course.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

Which may be a negative as the rest of my pulse explains.

The Bills have always been a terrible road playoff team. 3-11 all time, 3-15 if you include neutral site road games(super bowls). At home the Bills are 11-1 all time. Bad weather or not, the Bills are a much much better team at home in the playoffs than on the road. I’ll gladly take a #2 seed over anything 3-7. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billznut said:

The Bills have always been a terrible road playoff team. 3-11 all time, 3-15 if you include neutral site road games(super bowls). At home the Bills are 11-1 all time. Bad weather or not, the Bills are a much much better team at home in the playoffs than on the road. I’ll gladly take a #2 seed over anything 3-7. 

Historic results have absolutely ZERO to do with the current team.

What Jim Kelly and Marv Levy did in 1991 has nothing to do with what this team does in 2021.

The offense we have right now is not conducive to the snow.

• Haha (+1) 2

Historic results have absolutely ZERO to do with the current team.

What Jim Kelly and Marv Levy did in 1991 has nothing to do with what this team does in 2021.

The offense we have right now is not conducive to the snow.

How do you know? How many games has THIS offense played in the snow? The Bills will win or lose playoff games based on how their OL plays and turnover differential just like any other Sunday. And that goes whether they play in sun, snow, dirt or sand. They have a decided advantage playing at home as playoff history dictates, as most teams would. 

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, Billznut said:

How do you know? How many games has THIS offense played in the snow? The Bills will win or lose playoff games based on how their OL plays and turnover differential just like any other Sunday. And that goes whether they play in sun, snow, dirt or sand. They have a decided advantage playing at home as playoff history dictates, as most teams would. 

I know because I have eyeballs.

But even if I didn’t, the numbers would tell you as well. Here are Allen’s numbers by month (over his career).

September to November: 64%, 93 QB rating, 7.4 ypa

December: 58%, 89 QB rating, 6.9 ypa

Last year, in 81 degree (not my number, that’s what the splits give us) or higher weather, Allen was 70% for 7 TD’s, 0 INT and a 132 QB rating. In under 40 degree weather, he was 62% for 5 TD’s, 2 INT, and a 94 QB rating.

His play is not at as high of a level in the colder months as it is in the warmer months.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I know because I have eyeballs.

But even if I didn’t, the numbers would tell you as well. Here are Allen’s numbers by month (over his career).

September to November: 64%, 93 QB rating, 7.4 ypa

December: 58%, 89 QB rating, 6.9 ypa

His play is not at as high of a level in the colder months as it is in the warmer months.

I guess we better trade Allen then since he plays in a “cold weather city” 

Since according to you he’s incapable of playing well in the cold or winning at home in December or January even though he did plenty of that last season. 

1 minute ago, Billznut said:

I guess we better trade Allen then since he plays in a “cold weather city” 

Since according to you he’s incapable of playing well in the cold or winning at home in December or January even though he did plenty of that last season. 

I didn’t say he’s incapable, I said he’s not as elite in the cold.

Most QB’s are not as elite in the cold.

In today’s modern day spread offenses, it is advantageous for the defense to get cold/bad weather. Those are the facts.

thumbnail_Allen-tempsJJJJJ.jpg

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

In today’s modern day spread offenses, it is advantageous for the defense to get cold/bad weather. Those are the facts.

Well I guess unless the Pegulas change their mind and build a dome or global warming speeds up quicker to truly make Buffalo the Miami of the north we are F’ed.

I’ll still root for the #1 or even #2 seed as I think most Bills fans smartly would over being a wild card and playing 3 games on the road as you’d prefer. That’s just crazy talk. 

Just now, Billznut said:

Well I guess unless the Pegulas change their mind and build a dome or global warming speeds up quicker to truly make Buffalo the Miami of the north we are F’ed.

I’ll still root for the #1 or even #2 seed as I think most Bills fans smartly would over being a wild card and playing 3 games on the road as you’d prefer. That’s just crazy talk. 

I do too. But to me, it’s #1 or bust.

I want that bye week.

#2 to #7 is practically all the same.

and the comp stats?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.