Shaquill Griffin, Jags CB on the Bills yesterday: "It's like they don't care"

Big Turk

5 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

You joke but the cancer is already in the locker room  Not saying OBJ would make things better but what we saw yesterday, and even last week, is a team that is a team in name only, a bunch of  guys in business for themselves

And it's the offense ... the defense has played well the last 2 weeks. The offense isn't holding up their end.

I think there is something off this year, they haven’t been “UP” for anything since KC.  I think the hype got to the team honestly. 

The real issue is, this team isn’t full of super stars, it’s mostly over achievers, so when they aren’t playing with their hair on fire, they aren’t going to win. There really aren’t any great players on the team outside of Allen and Diggs (who is a fringe “great” player).  There’s some good players like White, Hyde, Poyer, Dawkins, Sanders, Beasley, Hughes, etc, the rest are pretty much replacement or slightly better level. 

We could rehash the fact the coaching has been borderline awful in more than half the games this year, but I’ll leave that to the pitchfork mob when they lose another game to stupidity.  IMO, this is exactly what you get with a mid-tier coaching staff, without Allen, this team is essentially the Jets.  I know it’s not a popular opinion, but I don’t think McD is the coach you can count on to actually win a championship.  He’s a lunch pail guy, but I don’t see genius.  He’s done a good job at getting the ship going in the right direction, but we are staring at Marv Lewis 2.0

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think the Bills players cared.  But they found themselves in a street fight they hadn't expected.

When the two teams went into the locker rooms at halftime, I told me wife something like this:  The game is tied but the emotions are completely different.  The Jags feel like winners for holding the Bills offense in check and finishing the half with a tie.  The Bills feel frustrated, downcast, almost like losers.   

While the score was the same at that point, the energy was entirely different.  

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Eh take that comment with a grain of salt.  Griffin is a bad cornerback and he’s puffing out his chest after his team pulls off a major upset.

The Bills teams under McDermott don’t have this track record.

Multiple players said it and watching the game it was pretty obvious. We absolutely have a track record of not showing up for a couple games a year under McDermott 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

58 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It was so noticeable yesterday that they thought they could just go in there and walk away with a W that even their opponents noticed it:

"I was just looking on their sideline, and one thing I noted is I was like, 'they don't have the same energy as us,' ” Griffin said. “I feel like if you feel like one team deserved this win, it's us, but you've got to believe that."

"So that's one thing I kept preaching at everybody else. 'Look on the sidelines, watching them walking around, it's like they don't care. They don't deserve this. Let's show them why.' "

When your opponent can tell you are so arrogant, unprepared and unfocused that you don't seem to care, that's a major problem.

That's like a dagger to McDermott's heart.   That's pitiful.   

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I think there is something off this year, they haven’t been “UP” for anything since KC.  I think the hype got to the team honestly. 

The real issue is, this team isn’t full of super stars, it’s mostly over achievers, so when they aren’t playing with their hair on fire, they aren’t going to win. There really aren’t any great players on the team outside of Allen and Diggs (who is a fringe “great” player).  There’s some good players like White, Hyde, Poyer, Dawkins, Sanders, Beasley, Hughes, etc, the rest are pretty much replacement or slightly better level. 

We could rehash the fact the coaching has been borderline awful in more than half the games this year, but I’ll leave that to the pitchfork mob when they lose another game to stupidity.  IMO, this is exactly what you get with a mid-tier coaching staff, without Allen, this team is essentially the Jets.  I know it’s not a popular opinion, but I don’t think McD is the coach you can count on to actually win a championship.  He’s a lunch pail guy, but I don’t see genius.  He’s done a good job at getting the ship going in the right direction, but we are staring at Marv Lewis 2.0

It's kinda like they got so emotionally charged up for that game to beat the Chiefs asses that they are on an emotional letdown after that, like that was their Super Bowl this year.  They need to find that spark to turn it around quickly.

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Multiple players said it and watching the game it was pretty obvious. 

Even Allen said it: "They just wanted it more than we did".  Wait what??  You are a team with Super Bowl aspirations and that's what you do??

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Lewis couldn’t win in the playoffs. The Bills had 2 playoff wins last year. I don’t think that we have seen some great examples of coaching this year overall, aside from on the defensive end, but I don’t think we can automatically assume that McDermott is the next Marvin Lewis.

Just to say… it’s also incredibly disappointing that not once, but THREE TIMES, in 8 games, we’ve taken over opponent cities/stadiums.   

Bills lost two, beat Miami. 

At least they tried against Tennessee. 

That performance yesterday, in front of a crowd of 60%+ Bills fans was just pathetic. 

Edited by SCBills

SO the DEFENSE had no energy?  ONLY LET UP 9 POINTS. This quote is BS. 

That said, the play calling and OL OL OL OL OL was the Issue!!!!!!!!!!!! Ford might as well have been on the sideline. Our backs are not that bad. No holes, blocks and Allen was not getting any time for the later routes to develop. Needed to roll pocket, two tight ends, fullback.......anything but 5 step drops and shotgun pocket passing approach. 

Last drive- they got first down and just got close to FG range. THEN . . . Play calling horrendous.  Ends with the 4 &

15 atrocity to Diggs.

Reminded me of the Tyrod Taylor wild card loss to Jags. 🥚

49 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think Griffin is correct...or put another way as J Allen (ours) said, they wanted it more and that certainly seemed to me to be true.

Watch the reactions of the Jags on the sidelines when they made a good play, they were enthusiastic, jumping up and down, most were standing up. Meanwhile the Bills sideline for most of the game was quiet.

I saw it from the beginning.  They were flat.

Some of the loss was mental readiness and some was the poor play of the OL that stymied the entire offense.   Missing two starters and with a 3rd guy out of position, the communication up front looked to be poor.   I put this on Daboll and McD.  There were too many untouched Jags getting to Allen.  

The talk of “stacking wins” needs to stop.   That term in itself is looking forward.     This is one week at a time league. 

• Like (+1) 2

Like I said in another thread yesterday based on these comments...at what point does this organization understand something is inherently wrong with the culture right now and what do they do change it and send a message?

We've heard about how things are different and one game doesn't define a season similar to last year after the Cardinals Hail Murray debacle, but the big difference this year is this team hasn't responded and I think the Titans game mentally killed them because in hindsight they played above their heads against a true elite team and came up short.

38 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I was definitely only half joking.  

Im open to anything right now… Pretty limited in moves we can make post trade deadline. 

What I saw from Davis yesterday didn’t scream “we’re good at WR”.   When our OL is such a mess, we can’t have strengths of the team not being actual strengths.  

Biiiiig drop there on the final drive (or 2nd to last, i don't feel like looking it up).  He catches that and we are firmly in business to at least tie the game, but get them on their heels to actually win it.  Instead we followed it up with williams late off the snap and a brutal sack out of FG range.  I thought that was a free rusher but man, williams just whiffed completely.  2 massive mental mistakes in a row - and the last 2 of many throughout the day.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Like I said in another thread yesterday based on these comments...at what point does this organization understand something is inherently wrong with the culture right now and what do they do change it and send a message?

We've heard about how things are different and one game doesn't define a season similar to last year after the Cardinals Hail Murray debacle, but the big difference this year is this team hasn't responded and I think the Titans game mentally killed them because in hindsight they played above their heads against a true elite team and came up short.

The culture doesn’t change from week to week.  The culture is fine.  Work Habits and attitude change faster than culture and they need to get back to humble and hungry.  They need to prepare better.  They have to learn that past success does not mean a thing.  They can be hunters or they can be the hunted. Yesterday they were clearly the hunted.  The bubble popped.  

They did not play over their heads versus anybody and the Titans have done nothing to be considered elite either.   They need to go back to working harder, and proving themselves every day.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeefCurtns said:

I thought this yesterday. Something is up. The Bills were absolutely bereft of competitive Fire yesterday. I haven’t seen that kind of mailing it in in sometime. Has to be a reason. Someone’s pissed at someone. They absolutely stunk yesterday on offense. Something is most definitely wrong.

What was the name of the movie where the O linemen were mad at their QB and let every defensive player through to beat the crap out of him? That's what it felt like yesterday. I thought there's no way players can go through an O line that easily, especially with the game on the line. They had several chances to at least tie with a FG but the O line either didn't block on short yardage (fumble) or got knocked out of FG range (sack). It was a pathetic display.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.