Shaquill Griffin, Jags CB on the Bills yesterday: "It's like they don't care"

Big Turk

47 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Lewis couldn’t win in the playoffs. The Bills had 2 playoff wins last year. I don’t think that we have seen some great examples of coaching this year overall, aside from on the defensive end, but I don’t think we can automatically assume that McDermott is the next Marvin Lewis.

While I understand the Lewis not winning in the playoffs thought, the comparison is really this; good enough to be a “contender” every year and always finding themselves coming up short.  Yet he’s so likable and so much better than you were used to, that just being “good” becomes good enough.   This has been my worry about McD from day one.  He’s likable, he got the team going the right direction, but I don’t think it’s particularly his genius that’s doing it.  First year he took a pretty good roster and got a couple extra wins out of it, got to the wildcard, ok.  Next year they have a horrible plan and suck, then waste the 1st round pick for his D.  Next year Allen breaks out and carried them to a good year, hit the playoffs and struggled to a couple wins, where again Allen had to be a monster for it to happen, they got out coached in both of those wins.  Then KC DESTROYED them.   

If we want to be honest, if we were still playing in the real TB12 /NE era, this team may not have made the playoffs under McD yet and we might well be calling for his head right now.  Thankfully, the East has been almost a guaranteed 5-6 wins a year, but that’s about to change.  The Pats aren’t a pushover, the Jets have shown they can surprise you if you are sleeping on them and the Phins aren’t that bad, but the culture there is so screwed up, they have to make a change and they will be back to a decent team too. 

I’d love to be wrong, but I think McD is as over rated as it gets and has relied completely on his coordinators to run games.  Frazier is back to playing soft and no blitzes, it’s allowing teams to have it too easy.  Daboll looks like his first year all over again and what has gotten him fired everywhere he’s been.   I truly believe the coordinators should be replaced.  McD is a good leader and for that, I think he could potentially be ok as the HC, but if he can’t clean up the in game mental mistakes, he may need to go too.   If he can’t get the team “Up” for these games, he’s really gotta go.   This week was inexcusable all the way around.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The culture doesn’t change from week to week.  The culture is fine.  Work Habits and attitude change faster than culture and they need to get back to humble and hungry.  They need to prepare better.  They have to learn that past success does not mean a thing.  They can be hunters or they can be the hunted. Yesterday they were clearly the hunted.  The bubble popped.  

They did not play over their heads versus anybody and the Titans have done nothing to be considered elite either.   They need to go back to working harder, and proving themselves every day.  

But again, what is it going to take for this team to understand that last year means nothing and they've really not done anything in this league yet?

Everyone thought the Steelers game was the wake up call but it wasn't. Last week out of the bye week barely beating a bad dolphins team at home wasn't either.

So now we are assuming losing to a team that has barely won a game the last 2 seasons is the wake up call???

I just feel we are going to keep having this discussion in the weeks to come when at the end of the day this team just isn't good enough, the coach and GM aren't either despite some fans insistance to claim otherwise.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The culture doesn’t change from week to week.  The culture is fine.  Work Habits and attitude change faster than culture and they need to get back to humble and hungry.  They need to prepare better.  They have to learn that past success does not mean a thing.  They can be hunters or they can be the hunted. Yesterday they were clearly the hunted.  The bubble popped.  

They did not play over their heads versus anybody and the Titans have done nothing to be considered elite either.   They need to go back to working harder, and proving themselves every day.  

Yep, and that bubble very easily could have popped against the Dolphins.  The first half last week should have been their "wake up call".  It didn't pop versus the Dolphins #2 but  the Dolphins had all the turnovers and the Bills didn't have as many penalties.  

October 5: Urban Meyer is in over his head. He has given up on his team (staying behind in Ohio to frolic with coeds), and his team has given up on him.

November 7: His team is far behind the best teams in talent and experience, but Urban Meyer is beginning to build a team with fight in it, and with some incredible talents (the other Josh, Lawrence) on both sides of the ball.

The never-ending story of the hot take.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Reminded me of some of the Sabres games in their second year after the lockout. The first year they came out of nowhere to be one of the best teams in the league, losing in the ECF to Carolina in game 7.

The next year, it's like they knew they were so good that they didn't think they had to try to win and their effort was mailed in often times...they still won a ton of games but you could just tell something was "off" with them.

I am hoping this isn't what is happening with the Bills but it looks like it from the outside. I hope they don't suffer the same fate as that Sabre's team because they will be going home early in the playoffs this year.

I remember that Sabres team.  They sleepwalked through the first round of the playoffs and still beat the Rangers (4 games to 1, I think).  They got pretty far on talent, but really didn't have the fire that season and they fell short of the Finals.   Let's hope the Bills can regain the fire.  Despite the injuries and poor play on the OL, they certianly should have been able to put up more than 6 points against the Jags.

If you look at last week, the Bills sleepwalked through the 1st half against Miami, and were able to just turn it on in the 2nd half and get the win.  I think they assumed the same thing was going to happen yesterday, and it didn't.  The Jags, at home, brought a little more than the Dolphins did in Buffalo.

For what it's worth, the Super Bowl Bills in the 90's did that a fair amount, and, more recently, the Chiefs did that all of last season and still got as far as the Super Bowl.  Yesterday proved that this Bills team is not going to be able to get away with that, week in and week out.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

What you're describing is culture though.  working hard every week, showing up each and every game, minimizing mental mistakes.  If that's not culture than what is?  And if it is culture (and it is) then either McD is preaching a bad culture, or he's lost the locker room

45 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

What was the name of the movie where the O linemen were mad at their QB and let every defensive player through to beat the crap out of him? That's what it felt like yesterday. I thought there's no way players can go through an O line that easily, especially with the game on the line. They had several chances to at least tie with a FG but the O line either didn't block on short yardage (fumble) or got knocked out of FG range (sack). It was a pathetic display.

That sounds like the longest Yard.

21 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I remember that Sabres team.  They sleepwalked through the first round of the playoffs and still beat the Rangers (4 games to 1, I think).  They got pretty far on talent, but really didn't have the fire that season and they fell short of the Finals.   Let's hope the Bills can regain the fire.  Despite the injuries and poor play on the OL, they certianly should have been able to put up more than 6 points against the Jags.

If you look at last week, the Bills sleepwalked through the 1st half against Miami, and were able to just turn it on in the 2nd half and get the win.  I think they assumed the same thing was going to happen yesterday, and it didn't.  The Jags, at home, brought a little more than the Dolphins did in Buffalo.

For what it's worth, the Super Bowl Bills in the 90's did that a fair amount, and, more recently, the Chiefs did that all of last season and still got as far as the Super Bowl.  Yesterday proved that this Bills team is not going to be able to get away with that, week in and week out.

Yeah those Bills teams often struggled with the Pats who were the Jags of their day and played some really ugly games against them and lost a few as well that way.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

What was the name of the movie where the O linemen were mad at their QB and let every defensive player through to beat the crap out of him? That's what it felt like yesterday. I thought there's no way players can go through an O line that easily, especially with the game on the line. They had several chances to at least tie with a FG but the O line either didn't block on short yardage (fumble) or got knocked out of FG range (sack). It was a pathetic display.

Was that North Dallas 40?

gOBGMP.gif

The Jags did great and deserve to puff their chests out after this, and the Bills deserve to be ashamed of themselves.

But the Jags have to follow this up and make it count for themselves now. This was like a SB to them and they were obviously motivated to the point that they would have run through a wall yesterday. Of course if they go back to being a pile of crap next week then their victory will be short lived and people will soon forget, especially if the Bills use it as a kick in the ass and get back on track.

23 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

gOBGMP.gif

The Jags did great and deserve to puff their chests out after this, and the Bills deserve to be ashamed of themselves.

But the Jags have to follow this up and make it count for themselves now. This was like a SB to them and they were obviously motivated to the point that they would have run through a wall yesterday. Of course if they go back to being a pile of crap next week then their victory will be short lived and people will soon forget, especially if the Bills use it as a kick in the ass and get back on track.

And even with all that being their "Super Bowl", they still only scored 9 points....

It was an incredible level of ineptitude that let the Bills find a way to lose that game.  Bad penalties, poor situational awareness, awful offensive play-calling and playmaking...just a perfect storm of awful.

3 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

And even with all that being their "Super Bowl", they still only scored 9 points....

It was an incredible level of ineptitude that let the Bills find a way to lose that game.  Bad penalties, poor situational awareness, awful offensive play-calling and playmaking...just a perfect storm of awful.

This is what is lost in this mess and not being talked about enough....It's not like the Jags played a flawless game and went toe to toe with the Bills truly earning the victory in a high scoring, back and forth game.

Their rookie QB wasn't great and played hurt the whole second half, but all it took was 9 measely points to beat an alleged SB contender and best team in the AFC??

This is why the entire Bills mafia truly needs to take a step back and recalibrate expectations of what this 2021 team really is....a middle of the pack team that may only be a WC team at best if they make the playoffs again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.