Von Miller to the Rams

gonzo1105

I love how fans just throw out names like Andrew Norwell and Brandon Scherff and assume they are available. Good interior o-linemen do not get traded. Any team at any point in their life cycle needs good interior o-linemen and they are hard to find. Someone on here randomly mentioned Norwell as a trade target a few weeks ago and all of a sudden Beane is a failure if he doesn't trade for him. Why would a head coach fighting for his job with a rookie QB allow that to happen? I'm all for the Bills making sensible trades but the other team has to be willing to move on from the player.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I love how fans just throw out names like Andrew Norwell and Brandon Scherff and assume they are available. Good interior o-linemen do not get traded. Any team at any point in their life cycle needs good interior o-linemen and they are hard to find. Someone on here just threw out Norwell's name a few weeks ago and all of a sudden Beane is a failure if he doesn't trade for him. Why would a head coach fighting for his job with a rookie QB allow that to happen? I'm all for the Bills making sensible trades but the other team has to be willing to move on from the player.

Good Oline players have gotten traded at the deadline. Duane Brown from the Texans to the Seahawks happened in season. Not sure if I recall any others in season but it isn’t impossible. Unlikely yes but I think if some bad team could be willing to trade a guard for a pick or two.

Norwell makes little sense as I can’t see his cap number fitting but maybe Hernandez from the Giants is a possibility but I am not sure he is much of an upgrade from what is on the roster. 

Miller wouldn’t be signed by Denver next season so getting 2 picks for him is the best move.

Denver’s defense scheme had Miller in coverage quite a bit- he’s best when rushing the passer.  Let him go play somewhere where he gets to do what made him a SB MVP.

he will be what Demarcus Ware was for the Broncos 5 years ago… tail end of his career, but plenty to contribute to an elite defense.

Denver is thinking QB 2023 draft, Paton is playing the long game.  

Melvin Gordon might be a guy the Bills should inquire about.  I think he could be had and could be a nice addition. 

while i think the bills need interior OL help the most, i think the brass thinks our O is pretty much capable of scoring on anyone, and since we have some extra DL we can cut (we sit guys who get major burn pretty regularly) it does kinda make sense that they want a better pass rusher add on this year.

also, i've gotta think it's easier to rotate in an older pass rusher for 20-30 snaps a game than it is to get a new starter on the OL ready to play in our scheme.

20 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Agreed, but they won't do it. Their approach is to be consistently good and be fortunate enough to win one year.

well theres a reason these trades are rare.... coming in mid season in NFL isnt exactly like trading for a superstar in NBA/NHL, so if we dont pull the trigger thats a huge reason why, not cause Beane is timid thats for sure

58 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Talent trumps everything….. I think the Bills are the best team in the AFC… if the Rams get there from the NFC that would be one bad match up all the way around…. Would need Josh Allen to be Superman yet again.

No talent doesn’t trump everything. The Bills have proven that theory inaccurate. You could argue the Bills don’t have a single player best at their position in the game. Allen and maybe Micah Hyde come close to that but aren’t. 

The Browns and Chiefs prob have the best talent in the AFC and neither are in the playoffs as it sits today 

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Looking at PFF Grades through week 8, Wyatt Teller is ranked 4th and Quinton Spain ranked 13th. Meanwhile we have Feliciano [hurt] at #50, Boettger at 59, and Cody at 72/74.  Wonder how some of these decisions are made?

The decisions were made according to The Process™. 

As much as we love Beane his O-line decisions have left a lot to be desired. He traded Teller (and a 7th) for a 5th and 6th. He released Spain 6 weeks into a 3 year deal and returned negative value with the dead cap hit. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

We have one of the pricier O-lines in the league this season, and our O-line is one of the worst in the league. We have to be dead last in terms of money spent vs quality of play.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

27 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The decisions were made according to The Process™. 

As much as we love Beane his O-line decisions have left a lot to be desired. He traded Teller (and a 7th) for a 5th and 6th. He released Spain 6 weeks into a 3 year deal and returned negative value with the dead cap hit. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

We have one of the pricier O-lines in the league this season, and our O-line is one of the worst in the league. We have to be dead last in terms of money spent vs quality of play.  

I like Beane, but he has us overcommitted at a few position groups with less than top end performance which has me concerned going forward. 

I am mildly concerned at going after Von Miller. We are crazy invested into the DL already. We can't be crazy invested into DL for the past few seasons, AND go give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a one year rental. The investment into another DE/DL would basically cost us a possible starting CB and OL next year or two OL. I wouldn't mind asking about Miller if we didn't invest a 2nd in AJE, 1st in Groot, 2nd in Basham, 1st in Oliver, and $8M in Addison.

A second and third for Miller would be basically admitting you hate your previous 2-3 years of major investment in your DL. 

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

So Josh Allen basically is covering for the ineptitude of our O-Line, and still getting it done.  Too bad that doesn't factor into the MVP conversation.

On further review, GB, Arizona, the Bills and the Ravens all have similarly graded O-Lines.  So perhaps a good O-line is not a requirement in today's NFL?

Edited by BearNorth

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.