Von Miller to the Rams

gonzo1105

On 11/1/2021 at 12:43 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A 2nd and a 3rd to take on $17.5M salary for a 32 yr old guy who is a very good player, but no longer the force he once was?

Rams are going "all in" for this season.  Good Luck with That.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:20 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Von Miller is still a good pass rusher but not an elite/game changer anymore.  I don't think this moves the needle much. 

The Broncos are at 4-4 and very much still in the playoff race.  They were still willing to part ways with him in.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:55 PM, Warcodered said:

It's really going to suck for the Rams fans when they're watching the draft after they've still missed the Super Bowl, for all five of them.

On 11/1/2021 at 2:10 PM, RobbRiddick said:

We all know Brady will beat them in the playoffs

Miller will get a key hit that causes a game winning INT and then, just as we're all laughing and cheering, a late flag will be thrown and he'll get penalized for roughing.

Jesus, my brain really has been messed up by that 20 year case of Bradyitis 

I don’t have enough emojis.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

On 11/4/2021 at 10:29 PM, FormerlyPT5P said:

I've always like this Rams GM's style.

Seems like he's never out of win now mode. 

With the way the league is now structured, no one should EVER be out of win now mode, more or less.

"5 year plans" went extinct in the 1990s...

Look at what the Bengals just did in 2 seasons!

With Josh playing the way he did to end the season, we should be aggressively pursuing titles, NOW....

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/2/2021 at 9:23 AM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

As much as we love Beane his O-line decisions have left a lot to be desired. He traded Teller (and a 7th) for a 5th and 6th. He released Spain 6 weeks into a 3 year deal and returned negative value with the dead cap hit. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

We have one of the pricier O-lines in the league this season, and our O-line is one of the worst in the league. We have to be dead last in terms of money spent vs quality of play.  

By what criteria?

2nd for sacks given up, 6th for rush yards per game and Y/A doesn't sound like "worst in the league".

I'm not trying to argue they're top-10 or top-5 - Allen gets out of trouble on his own a lot - but I'd like to know by what criteria they're "one of the worst"

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:23 AM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The decisions were made according to The Process™. 

As much as we love Beane his O-line decisions have left a lot to be desired. He traded Teller (and a 7th) for a 5th and 6th. He released Spain 6 weeks into a 3 year deal and returned negative value with the dead cap hit. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

We have one of the pricier O-lines in the league this season, and our O-line is one of the worst in the league. We have to be dead last in terms of money spent vs quality of play.  

It's fair to blame Beane as a manager of the problem, but I have a long thread about the real problem -- Bobby Johnson.

He was a horrible talent evaluator and he's gone now.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

By what criteria?

2nd for sacks given up, 6th for rush yards per game and Y/A doesn't sound like "worst in the league".

I'm not trying to argue they're top-10 or top-5 - Allen gets out of trouble on his own a lot - but I'd like to know by what criteria they're "one of the worst"

By my own hyperbolic eye test 😄

I posted that back in November and I will happily admit the O-Line looked much better (maybe a little above league average) down the stretch once we put Bates into the starting lineup. It's tough to gauge the O-Line when we have a unicorn at QB. Put Kirk Cousins back there and I have to imagine we'd have a bottom tier rushing attack and be close to most sacks allowed. 

16 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

By my own hyperbolic eye test 😄

I posted that back in November and I will happily admit the O-Line looked much better (maybe a little above league average) down the stretch once we put Bates into the starting lineup. It's tough to gauge the O-Line when we have a unicorn at QB. Put Kirk Cousins back there and I have to imagine we'd have a bottom tier rushing attack and be close to most sacks allowed. 

I like Rick, but I don't think Bates was the magic bullet. 

He came into the 2nd NWE game at RG and swapped to LG after Boettger was injured, then started the last 2 games.

This is eye test stuff, but I thought the Bills OL started playing better in the NO game, solidified in 2nd half of TB game.

I think part of it was

1) more commitment to run the ball

2) return to more pin-and-pull run blocking vs. the zone schemes that just weren't working

3) more designed runs to Allen

4) benching Sweeney and making more use of a 5th OLman in 2 TE sets and/or 2 back sets with Gilliam

Hoping Cover1 will do a piece on it.

People here get all ruffled up about "evil McDermott mustn't force us to become a run first team" but that's not the point at all.  If a defense doesn't have to respect the run game and defend it, they can tee off on the passing game in all sorts of nasty and creative ways that are difficult-to-impossible for the OL to block.  McDermott is a DC at heart, he understands this.  It's all about creating a reasonable degree of uncertainty in the minds of the defense/DC as to whether a play call will be run or pass.

The Rams were having no luck at all running the ball in the Superb Owl, but they kept at it because if you stop, the defense yells "sic 'em!"

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Rams are suckers. Yes they won the SB, but they have no draft picks and cap hell is coming! 

But winning the Super Bowl is the whole point.  I could stomach the Bills being where the Eagles are now had they just won the Super Bowl 3 years prior.  

You have a short window in this league.  No one should be expecting Patriot-level sustained success, especially with all the QB talent in the AFC.  As great as Brees, Rodgers and Wilson are and some of the teams they've had, they each have 1 ring.

Cliché as it might be, it's hard to win in this league.

Edited by Chicken Boo

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Rams are suckers. Yes they won the SB, but they have no draft picks and cap hell is coming! 

Also according to rumors both McVay and Aaron Donald may retire now.

But at the end of the day they have a ring and that's all the matters even if they suck for the next 5+ years nobody is going to care, even most Rams fans in the LA market because they have so many other teams to cling to in terms of bandwagon jumping.

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Also according to rumors both McVay and Aaron Donald may retire now.

But at the end of the day they have a ring and that's all the matters even if they suck for the next 5+ years nobody is going to care, even most Rams fans in the LA market because they have so many other teams to cling to in terms of bandwagon jumping.

McVay is 23 years old.  He can't legally rent a car in California.  He isn't retiring.  

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

But winning the Super Bowl is the whole point.  I could stomach the Bills being where the Eagles are now had they just won the Super Bowl 3 years prior.  

You have a short window in this league.  No one should be expecting Patriot-level sustained success, especially with all the QB talent in the AFC.  As great as Brees, Rodgers and Wilson are and some of the teams they've had, they each have 1 ring.

Cliché as it might be, it's hard to win in this league.

@ScottLaw was being sarcastic ...

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like Rick, but I don't think Bates was the magic bullet. 

He came into the 2nd NWE game at RG and swapped to LG after Boettger was injured, then started the last 2 games.

This is eye test stuff, but I thought the Bills OL started playing better in the NO game, solidified in 2nd half of TB game.

I think part of it was

1) more commitment to run the ball

2) return to more pin-and-pull run blocking vs. the zone schemes that just weren't working

3) more designed runs to Allen

4) benching Sweeney and making more use of a 5th OLman in 2 TE sets and/or 2 back sets with Gilliam

Hoping Cover1 will do a piece on it.

People here get all ruffled up about "evil McDermott mustn't force us to become a run first team" but that's not the point at all.  If a defense doesn't have to respect the run game and defend it, they can tee off on the passing game in all sorts of nasty and creative ways that are difficult-to-impossible for the OL to block.  McDermott is a DC at heart, he understands this.  It's all about creating a reasonable degree of uncertainty in the minds of the defense/DC as to whether a play call will be run or pass.

The Rams were having no luck at all running the ball in the Superb Owl, but they kept at it because if you stop, the defense yells "sic 'em!"

Don't have to run the ball a lot, you just need to be able to, and they have to know it.

• Agree 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

Don't have to run the ball a lot, you just need to be able to, and they have to know it.

Exactly.  And even if you're not able to, if you persist in trying, the defense has to respect that and keep doing what they're doing that stuffs it, instead of teeing off.

The Rams ran on 35% of their plays from scrimmage in the Superbowl.  And their run plays sucked - less than 2 ypc. 

But the fact that they tried and kept trying, meant the Bengals had to defend and keep defending it, and couldn't just tee off on Stafford.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Warcodered said:

This is exactly correct.

SM is not trying to create a run first offense, he wants to keep defensives guessing, and this was a portion of our offense that was severely lacking. 

With our new OC and the two new offensive coaches we brought in, I see a far more cohesive working style to create a more seamless and comprehensive offense. It’s going to be great to watch it go down. 

Go Bills!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.