Unsung hero : Leslie Frazier

Buffalo716

He was one of the whipping boys here for a long time... That he should have his play calling duties taken away or fired

His steady presence, and understanding Sean's philosophy, with his own football knowledge is a major asset to this team

His Gap integrity, attention to detail, are all top notch... There's never a quarterback roaming free on a bootleg .. there's always someone home to put pressure in his face

There's never a massive miscommunication in the back half where there's a 60-yard blown coverage 

You take after your coach.. and this defense is a smart, fast, physical defense.. over all these years I see tons of Leslie Frazier fingerprints all over this defense , and him and Sean really work well together

And he'll never get much credit because he's working under another defensive coach... But I can guarantee that to the players, that his work is absolutely paying dividends and they are glad to play for him 

Here's to Leslie Frazier one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL

• Like (+1) 19
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Camera caught him getting really happy with about :50 seconds left, I thought it was awesome. He seems so serious and reserved most of the time but has cracked a few times now when things go well, like when he was running down the sideline stride for stride with a Taron's pick-6 vs Baltimore last year. Bet his players love him.

• Like (+1) 12

5 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Camera caught him getting really happy with about :50 seconds left, I thought it was awesome. He seems so serious and reserved most of the time but has cracked a few times now when things go well, like when he was running down the sideline stride for stride with a Taron's pick-6 vs Baltimore last year. Bet his players love him.

Guarantee they love him. He is a man they can respect  

He's like having a second head coach on our team... Week in and out you could see it in the preparedness 

It's all the little things.. dictating the game where he wants it to go.. not where the offensive coordinator wants it to go

Leslie is hardly ever in a situation where he needs to get drastic.. he's hardly ever playing catch up... He dictates what the offense does.. not vice versa 

He's a master at combining coverages and hiding them.. and playing the sticks 

Best defensive coordinator we've had here since Wade.. Schwartz was good and I liked him but his defense had little Gap integrity which hurt in big moments 

Leslie's defenses are never out of gap

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Leslie is like the father figure to many of these young Bills on defense.   He has called a master plan to outwit the best players in the business.  Can he do it one more time next week in Nashville.  

I love his demeanor and he doesn’t get enough credit for how he calls games.  He finally has the horses to call plays how he wants.  Enough of the crap we faced weak opponents why our defensive stats are good.  Now we just beat the team in the SB.  What’s the excuse after we beat the Titans?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Think about it this way.... which team put out the blueprint on defending Lamar and the Ravens? 

And then which team put out the blueprint for defending Mahomes and the Chiefs (even if last year they couldn't quite execute their own plan for various reasons)?

Yea. Leslie Frazier is good.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

I read somewhere this was the first ever NFL game (next gen stats i believe?) that a team did not blitz even a single time. Was an amazing game to watch - he had a plan, stuck to it, and his players obviously bought into it and executed it!

Awesome. I was just trying to recall if they blitzed at all and could not 

I’m giving this to the players. They didn’t do much scheming in this one. Played safe which was exactly what they’ve been doing vs KC. Difference in this one is the offense put up 38 points. Everyone on defense did their 1/11. Poyer and Hyde played under control all game. They really never had to switch up.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Tonight was his Magnum Opus.

There was that commentary right after McD was hired that he was the anti-Rex Ryan. Similarly this D game plan was the Palms magnum opus and the exact opposite of the Rex 46. Don’t chase the big plays, just follow the plan, execute with discipline, and the plays will come to you through the scheme.

When Chuck Knox came the early 80s the Bills weren’t the most talented bunch but could win if opponents weren’t on point through Ground Chuck and tough D. In the Super Bowl years the Bills were as talented as anyone, but Levy and Corey got killed at the big moments by, let’s face it, better coaching.

This is something different. This roster is top-echelon talent-wise in the league, and after getting punked by Tomlinson & co week 1, Daboll stopped trying to be cute like Andy Reid and the defensive coaches been unbelievable with game planning and halftime adjustments. With that combination, it doesn’t matter if the opponent is on point or not. The Bills will win if they don’t beat themselves.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m giving this to the players. They didn’t do much scheming in this one. Played safe which was exactly what they’ve been doing vs KC. Difference in this one is the offense put up 38 points. Everyone on defense did their 1/11. Poyer and Hyde played under control all game. They really never had to switch up.

Nah, coaching was big. The play I keep coming back to was the Chiefs turnover on downs, tipped pass by Poyer. Addison iirc was left end and defeated his block and had a clear upfield path to Mahomes and suddenly stopped in his tracks, did not continue upfield, and by doing that maintained contain on Mahomes in the pocket. All the lineman concentrated not on getting to the QB but just preventing him from leaving the pocket. Mahomes had 8 friggin seconds in the pocket before he threw, and finally tried to zip it over Poyer who tipped it for the inc.

Those DL were coached to do something unnatural to them (i.e. don’t try to sack the QB). That’s coaching, scheme, and execution.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Think about it this way.... which team put out the blueprint on defending Lamar and the Ravens? 

And then which team put out the blueprint for defending Mahomes and the Chiefs (even if last year they couldn't quite execute their own plan for various reasons)?

Yea. Leslie Frazier is good.

I agree with the Ravens but it was the Bucs who gave us the blueprint on how to stop Mahomes

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

46 minutes ago, DJB said:

I agree with the Ravens but it was the Bucs who gave us the blueprint on how to stop Mahomes

We used this plan 2 months before the played the Buccs. Or at least the bones of this plan. We just failed to execute it in week 6 last year for a multitude of reasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.