Will the Bills find a way to contain Kelce, Hill and Mahomes next week?

TAinLack.

42 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We pay Tre White as a top CB to follow players like Hill and try and shut them down. If White cannot cover Hill why is he paid as a top 3 CB. It all comes down to White vs Hill and our pass rush. I have a feeling that we are going to win this game. 

I mean i hope so but he cant do that in zone like he has been asked previously.  That has to be a conscious decision by McD up to this point.  I dont think your point is totally fair, being asked to lockdown Hill is something every nfl CB is going to struggle with no matter who it is. dudes a serious weapon

Beating Chiefs at Arrowhead will put the whole world on notice.  KC is a monkey on Josh's back, that he will throw over the mountains.  Josh has the D, offensive play makers galore, and he must be sicker of Mahomes, Mahomes GF and Brother, KC than me.  Rock on Josh, go show the world!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Get after Mahomes.

There’s no other way. 

More specifically, Defensive ends need to maintain outside containment to keep Mahomes trapped in the pocket and get pressure up the middle.  They must not give Kelce a free release off the line (be physical with him) and mess up the timing of their short and intermediate passing game.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, TAinLA said:

Just putting it out there, that group caused a lot of heartburn for us last year.  Will Reid devise a new game plan or just repeat what  was a successful game plan in 2020?

I'm sure both Reid's and McDermott's plans will change as keep doing same thing will be learned and adjusted for on both sides. The best way to defend the Chiefs is keep their offense off the field. Hopefully we can see slow things down with our offense and score TDs.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We pay Tre White as a top CB to follow players like Hill and try and shut them down. If White cannot cover Hill why is he paid as a top 3 CB. It all comes down to White vs Hill and our pass rush. I have a feeling that we are going to win this game. 

Nobody with any football wisdom is going to try to cover Hill one on one for an entire game.  There may be an occasion where a DC will gamble and do it when running a blitz package.  For the most part we will see, a straight zone, a match-up zone, man coverage with a safety in zone over the top, or a straight up double team man coverage. McD will keep it changing throughout the game.  If they are going to give Hill extra coverage using two defenders, White may be used to shutdown either Kelce or the second wide receiver by himself.  We have already seen White on Hill one on one and it ended poorly.  McD won't head down that road again IMHO.

I agree with you that Buffalo has a good chance to win the game.  I believe that it has more to do with how bad the KC defense is and less about how good their offence can be.

7 hours ago, TAinLA said:

Just putting it out there, that group caused a lot of heartburn for us last year.  Will Reid devise a new game plan or just repeat what  was a successful game plan in 2020?

Pressure Mahomes.  That is why we did what we did in the offseason.  Now we see if it was enough

• Like (+1) 4

I'm not sure what the Bills were trying to do last year in the AFC Championship Game defensively. 

It's no disrespect to White or any other Bills corner to get help for Tyreke Hill. 

If you have to press and then double with another player, then it has to be done. 

I know that leaves Kelce one on one, and opens you up to Hardman, but what other choice do the Bills have? 

The Chiefs are not deep seemingly. It's Kelce-Mahomes-Hill. I don't think you can limit Mahomes, and Hill has the ability to go nuclear. I think you have to sell out to stop him. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

also when the Ravens beat the Chefs two weeks ago, they delayed some blitzes as Mahomes is very effective with feeling the first wave of pressure, avoiding it, and throwing on the move, a key play was made on a delayed blitz leading to a pick on the play, I know McD loves his delayed blitzes as well, here's to a better pass rush and overall better gameplan and most important better execution than the last 2-3 times...

interesting.  at least Milano’s replacement Klein appears to be a good blitzer. I think I’ve seen him kn a few delayed blitzes also

we have to okay more physical, period, both on offense at OL and the WR’s releasing, as well as hitting their WR/TE’s to throw off timing. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TAinLA said:

I don’t think the answer is to shut down KC.  No one has really been able to do it.  The Bills need to outscore them.  I think they’ll move the ball like they did in the AFCCG but they can’t settle for FG’s when they get close.  

The difference could be in the Buffalo run/screen game against a KC defense which has been hashed quite a bit.  

• Like (+1) 1

One thing we will find out is if this defense is for real or if it is a mirage.  

We have played 3 BU QBs and played the 20th, 21st, 27th and 30th ranked offenses in the NFL.

Granted we have caused those numbers of those teams as well, but this will be the first true test of this defense.  Chiefs will get theirs but knowing that I do want to see how the defense fairs against a top end offense.  Good gauge early on how ready we are to make a Run.  (Knowing there still is many weeks to play)

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Probably not. The bigger question will be if the offense has a good showing after two duds against them last year. This Chiefs team is NOT good defensively.

What is the big change in their defense from last year to this year?

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

What is the big change in their defense from last year to this year?

They have a lot of Injuries from what I have read. And move Chris Jones from DT to DE and clearly struggling there. Lack of speed seems to be an issue as well from talking with their fans 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Probably not.   Especially without Milano. 

Likely need to do what they failed to do in the title game, run the ball successfully, as bills still have no answer for Chiefs front 4.   Limit each other's possessions, try to keep the score close in the high 20's.   If it turns into a shootout, the Bills O Line will get run over (again) .  

I'm still very suspicious of the chiefs defensive performance in the afc championship game lol they got away with a ton of holds not to mention all our receivers had serious injuries.  Felt like they had a ton of 'coverage sacks' from their questionably tight coverage 🤣 refs in the super bowl weren't having it. From the looks of it refs this year aren't having it either.  Their dline has been pretty awful this year as well 

3 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Not possible to stop Hill. 

At least that's what it's like on Madden' 

Dude breaks free by 10 yards every damn play.

Yea theyre pretty much unstoppable on offense between the 20s and we just have to tighten up in the red zone where their ability to stretch the field isn't as important 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1