Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

On 4/20/2022 at 6:29 PM, TheCockSportif said:

I ended up watching a couple of Sabres games recently, in spite of my best judgment.  Met up with a couple of old pals from WNY, and my take is that the Sabres might actually be good in a few years.  Can I name any/many/most of the players?  No, but given that I divested so many years ago, it should not be expected.  This team has been a tire fire for so long, and what I saw in two games was a team who can contend, but obviously it's going to take more time.

Sabres are pretty good right now. You should watch more.

18 hours ago, DRsGhost said:

Jack Eichel has elite talent. I have no doubt he will continue to put it on display for the remainder of his career as long as he remains healthy.

However, there are rumblings and flat out accusations (Craig Rivet) that he's a less than ideal team-mate and kind of a douche off the ice. The anti-Josh Allen if you will.

I'm not willing to throw everything on Eichel. In an alternate universe where they built a competent team around him maybe things could have been different, despite that he's cemented himself as a player that actually deserves the boos when he comes back to Buffalo.

I'm hopeful that KA has finally got this franchise moving in the right direction. The few games that I've watched down the stretch are actually watchable and entertaining hockey.

Why did McDermott ship out Dareus and Watkins? Sometimes you have to get rid of the negative energy in the room before you can move forward. I think the difference with certain players pre- and post-Eichel speaks volumes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Isles fan here but I was at the Rock last night and saw the Sabres-Devils game. The Sabres have some nice young players to build around. I think they had 2 SHG goals almost had a 3rd. I don't get to see the Sabres all that often but they look like a team whose rebuild is starting to take off. Good luck to them going forward.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Isles fan here but I was at the Rock last night and saw the Sabres-Devils game. The Sabres have some nice young players to build around. I think they had 2 SHG goals almost had a 3rd. I don't get to see the Sabres all that often but they look like a team whose rebuild is starting to take off. Good luck to them going forward.

Next game: Isles @ Sabres Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why did McDermott ship out Dareus and Watkins? Sometimes you have to get rid of the negative energy in the room before you can move forward. I think the difference with certain players pre- and post-Eichel speaks volumes.

Absolutely. Throughout the Eichel saga KA would constantly say that the Sabres want players who want to be here. There's no way you can move forward with a captain who doesn't want to be in that locker room. Elite talent, but addition by subtraction.

12 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I don't want the season to end 😥

I said the same thing recently.

I know they’re playing better because I actually don’t want the season to end 😂

That’s the first time I could honestly say that in years!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I remember arguing this for several years with fans who still wanted to run it back with “the core” of Eichel, Reinhart, Risto and roster tweeks. I have never been a professional athlete, but I have worked in business long enough to know how critical attitude and culture is to any effective team. If your super star performer has a poor attitude and infects those around him, THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT. I have found this to be true in business/life, and there is no reason to think pro sports is different.

Changing culture involves changing people. Sometimes it’s clear and obvious and sometimes there are some collateral loses (Reinhart).

On this board we already have a perfect example with what McBeane has done with our favorite team.

Edited by Rockpile233
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I said the same thing recently.

I know they’re playing better because I actually don’t want the season to end 😂

That’s the first time I could honestly say that in years!

Okposo said the same thing and, as trivial as it may be, thats when I really started to feel that the organization has turned the corner and moved on from the stink of the tank, from Eichel, from being burdened by previous failures.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

It's akin to the Bills' 17-year drought.  Hopefully good things are coming after it ends as well.

The only downer is we are in a brutal division. Going to be hard to finish top 4 next year.  Since March 1, the Sabres have been playing at a 100 point pace, which would only get you to a wild card in this conference.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

33 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The only downer is we are in a brutal division. Going to be hard to finish top 4 next year.  Since March 1, the Sabres have been playing at a 100 point pace, which would only get you to a wild card in this conference.

We'll all take a wild card.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The only downer is we are in a brutal division.

It sure is and the Panthers are nearly unbeatable, 12 wins in a row. Have to wonder when they start limiting ice time on certain players since they've won the conference.

15 minutes ago, eball said:

We'll all take a wild card.

Two words: Hell Yeah!

On 4/22/2022 at 8:40 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

The quality of play is respectable, definitely better than when I divested a few years ago, but they are still missing the playoffs... again.  Good to me means having a winning record and making the playoffs and beyond.  The Bills were debatably "good" in spots during the drought as well.  I hope that the Sabres follow the same path.  I think that there is something here, but only time will tell.

4 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

The quality of play is respectable, definitely better than when I divested a few years ago, but they are still missing the playoffs... again.  Good to me means having a winning record and making the playoffs and beyond.  The Bills were debatably "good" in spots during the drought as well.  I hope that the Sabres follow the same path.  I think that there is something here, but only time will tell.

Dude you're missing out on the beauty of Sports if you only watch your team when they are in the playoffs.  It has been such a fun season watching this team put everything together and climb out of the cellar.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

To think the way you do totally ignores how a team develops over a season. You're not judging the players and the team. You're looking at stats. 

• Thank you (+1) 1