Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

3 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

It's a good thing you don't make personnel decisions. Edmunds is a freakish athlete that makes plays sideline to sideline. Speed, length and 22 years old. He is our QB on defense and it's the top rated defense in football. Your problem with him is his long hair?

Edmunds is a good but not great/elite so can see the issue of keeping at a high salary yet think it's also obvious Became knows better to keep him until have his replacement in place. Personally, I could see us taking a LB in Round 3 in the coming draft. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Imagine what we could/ should have done with that option money. Used it to sign a starter on the o line. Used it for a running back. Both of which would have improved this team and probably we d be undefeated right now. 

And….. option money has nothing to do with this years roster and salary cap. This year Klein is costing us $2 million more in cap space than Edmunds. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Imagine what we could/ should have done with that option money. Used it to sign a starter on the o line. Used it for a running back. Both of which would have improved this team and probably we d be undefeated right now. 

hindsight is 20/20 but it’s apparent a mistake was made. 

Edmunds salary this year is around $4mil.  None of the option money comes into play till next year.  If they cut him they would have had a $4 mil dead cap this year.

So explain to me how money for next year would have helped them sign any other players this year?

Imagine if you had a brain!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:
22 minutes ago, Billy Zabka said:

I know exactly what I get with Edmunds...mediocrity, indecision, and lack of big play ability.  Great guy, great athlete, average MLB.

I agree. Good post Billy. He’s average at best

You guys should take this somewhere more private

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This was once a much more valid thread topic than it has become as Edmunds has proven to be very consistent and productive this season. The fact that it came back up because Klein played a nice game filling in today ( it’s great to have good depth though!) is kinda silly. Edmunds can do a lot more sideline to sideline then what Klein can do, and that’s a big part of this defensive scheme.

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Like (+1) 2

Nothing over the last month, but as soon as he's out with an injury you all bring back the thread to pile on him. 

@Billy Zabka @Buffalo619 You're weak.

The reality is that Edmunds was standing comfortably on the sideline in full knowledge that his job is nowhere near being in jeopardy. His seat is as cold as Lake Erie on a mid-winter's day.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Lmao.  What a ridiculous thing to bring back up.

Ironically, our defense gave up more points today without Edmunds than our #1 NFL leading average with Edmunds.

But here we are, this nonsense again.  How does Edmunds suddenly become the scape goat again when he didn’t even play today?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ironically, our defense gave up more points today without Edmunds than our #1 NFL leading average with Edmunds.

But here we are, this nonsense again.  How does Edmunds suddenly become the scape goat again when he didn’t even play today?

I’ll take the 5th to keep from getting a warning 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Edmunds is a good but not great/elite so can see the issue of keeping at a high salary yet think it's also obvious Became knows better to keep him until have his replacement in place. Personally, I could see us taking a LB in Round 3 in the coming 

What could possibly be the reason why some fans don't want this great player. His ceiling is higher than any LB in football and he's loves being a Bill. I've been a fan since the OJ era,and this is the most talented LB we've had in 50 big ones. He's improving every year and he hits rbs like a truck and chases down dump off plays like few can. If he leaves we'll be hard pressed to replace him.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean, the Jets got 14 points in garbage time and both of their TDs were prolonged by 4th down ticky tack penalties, and one of those TDs were against the Bills backups.

I am by no means saying Klein over Edmunds haha, but just mentioning that the bills really gave up 3 points outside of meaningless garbage time.

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 2

Klein played well. And I am not a huge fan of the style of play that Edmonds brings to the table. 

But let’s not get carried away. Edmunds is a versatile athlete who gives the bills the flexibility and range MCD wants. Klein is not. 

49 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I wouldn't start Klein over Edmunds, but maybe rotate them during games wouldn't be a bad thing. 

I was talking about this today, too. Not necessarily rotating but finding a specific role or package for Klein they could use situationally. He diagnoses very quickly and plays downhill with a thump. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

What could possibly be the reason why some fans don't want this great player. His ceiling is higher than any LB in football and he's loves being a Bill. I've been a fan since the OJ era,and this is the most talented LB we've had in 50 big ones. He's improving every year and he hits rbs like a truck and chases down dump off plays like few can. If he leaves we'll be hard pressed to replace him.

In today's NFL LBs are similar to RBs in that they aren't as important. I mean we've played nickel 90% of the time on D. If I had to choose importance of Edmunds on the D, I think White, Hyde, Power, Milano, Hughes/Rousseau and maybe Oliver I'd rate more important/better. 

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

In today's NFL LBs are similar to RBs in that they aren't as important. I mean we've played nickel 90% of the time on D. If I had to choose importance of Edmunds on the D, I think White, Hyde, Power, Milano, Hughes/Rousseau and maybe Oliver I'd rate more important/better. 

So the 120 tackles and calling the defensive signals and being the primary run stuffer is unimportant. Believe this, Tremaine will be paid with the top LBS in the NFL and teams will lineup to grab him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

So the 120 tackles and calling the defensive signals and being the primary run stuffer is unimportant. Believe this, Tremaine will be paid with the top LBS in the NFL and teams will lineup to grab him.

And I'd rather have a strong secondary, QB, DL, OL and WRs all things considered. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.