Some random observations

Simon

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

But where?

He doesn't rush the passer particularly well, he's rarely physical enough to hold a point and the second somebody gets their hands on him he's done.

Maybe you hide him inside in a 3-4 and leave him on the field for clear passing downs, but he's almost too specialized to be worth it.

I loved his potential as a pass rusher coming out........blitzing from the MLB position and being an edge rusher are very different skill sets.

But 4 seasons in........the die is probably cast for his career in Buffalo.

I do expect his next team to try to move him to a pass rushing position.........Beane has had a few head scratchers but I don't see Edmunds getting $20M per year to be an unspectacular MLB.........it is devalued and more teams have a good starting QB than have two adequate pass rushers nowadays.

But I will add this..........he does have that CJ Spiller aspect about him where all it takes is one team to overlook his deficiencies........and if a guy like Sean Payton can somehow not know that CJ Spiller is not cerebrally competent enough to excel in his version of the WCO despite the years of stupid football that he put on tape.......then anyone could fall into that trap with a more competent/consistent player like Edmunds.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

so theres one side that sees that he's great and one side disagrees.  as an agnostic of this situation i would say i see him miss a lot of plays like the blatant tackle he missed today and that pick he comically fumbled last week.   and then folks claim he's doing something in the middle that maybe i dont see and i mean that.  what am i missing for defenders of Tre?

I don't think he's this incredible MLB or something.  He's a solid starter with a ton of potential with his physical attributes/age and doesn't deserve nearly as much hate as he gets on this board.  I'll defend him because like Levi Wallace he's a whipping boy for people to pin their frustrations on.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I loved his potential as a pass rusher coming out........blitzing from the MLB position and being and edge rusher are very different skill sets.

But 4 seasons in........the die is probably cast for his career in Buffalo.

I do expect his next team to try to move him to a pass rushing position.........Beane has had a few head scratchers but I don't see Edmunds getting $20M per year to be an unspectacular MLB.........it is devalued and more teams have a good starting QB than have two adequate pass rushers nowadays.

he was better as a rookie. he gets stoned now blitzing

8 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'll defend him because like Levi Wallace he's a whipping boy for people to pin their frustrations on.

Dude, I just watched the Bills completely pants a division rival in front of a few million people and now I'm kicked back and enjoying a ginormous bowl of Waffle Cone ice cream with 5x more hot fudge on it than a 7 year old would consider appropriate and having fun talking to my e-peeps.

My frustration level is currently hovering around zero. :flirt:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Name a player who has peaked at 23.

Hes been playing for 4 years already and i dont see progress. most players get started later, in fact at age 22 or 23.  im saying too though that i cant reacall off the top of my head an amazing play by Edmunds, but like i said i do reacall that missed tackle today and that big missed INT last week at Steelers 20

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

Hes been playing for 4 years already and i dont see progress. most players get started later, in fact at age 22 or 23.  im saying too though that i cant reacall off the top of my head an amazing play by Edmunds, but like i said i do reacall that missed tackle today and that big missed INT last week at Steelers 20

Okay, we'll just have to agree to disagree then.  I think he's a solid starter who has played decent-good football in his time here as a starter.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

Okay, we'll just have to agree to disagree then.  I think he's a solid starter who has played decent-good football in his time here as a starter.

completely down to agree to disagree but i do have to ask is there anything specific you can point to film wise disproving the critiques of 49?  ive seen a decent amount of him getting blown off plays et cet...

16 minutes ago, balln said:

he was better as a rookie. he gets stoned now blitzing

Yeah if you go back to his first career game........he records a dynamic strip-sack fumble against Baltimore.    That season he actually made some plays.  That player was a different guy.  

I'm sure he's more assignment sound at this point but I think the responsibilities he has at that position are unnatural enough to him that they have taken away from his natural playmaking ability.

Planting him at MLB has been one of the more peculiar decisions in Bills history, IMO.   

Basically the opposite of when the team kept Cornelius Bennett at OLB for far too long when it was clear that he was a better fit as an off-ball ILB.

Biscuit got accolades he didn't necessarily deserve at OLB in the SB runs.......but despite being constantly turned loose on the QB the pressures and sacks weren't coming.  

Enter Bryce Paup.........that position immediately rolls up 17.5 sacks.....Bennett had produced just 14 total the prior 3 seasons......... and Bryce wins the NFL DPOY..... and Bennett was really tremendous at ILB.  

Sometimes a staff is just wrong about how best to use a players skillset and I think that's been the case with Edmunds.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, B-Large said:

So was Allen good today? Seemed like the Defense was berserker….

Highlights showed some fun plays, but didn’t show his INT?

He had some good plays but he was still off today.  I feel like he is in the middle of trying to adjust his passes.  It was like he was over trying to throw touch passes and its just not working for him yet.  Seemed to do better on the first drive of the 3rd quarter ( I think it was that drive) when he had good protection.

Someone needs to remind Edmunds he's 6-5, 250 pounds, he often plays small and lacks aggresiveness in his game. Maybe he finishes the year taking that big step but it's not looking likely. 

To quote Gregg Popovich, "I want some nasty" out of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d seriously entertain a trade for Edmunds. If the rest of the league is as high on him as the Bills, surely he could fetch a 1st round pick? Then again, his peers don’t recognize him as a top 100 player (top 200?), so perhaps only the Buffalo coaching staff thinks he’s a game changer. Trade him before you have to pay him, he’s not worth more than Milano.

• Like (+1) 1

On the stat sheet Star Lotulelei only had a single tackle, but may have had a lot to do  with Miami failing (though barely) to get 4 yards per carry from their running backs.  Likewise, Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison were relatively invisible, but I can't really think of any contributions they made that wouldn't have shown up on the state sheet.  I think they were just plain not very effective.  I can't really imagine a scenario where Hughes and Addison are with the team in 2022.  Oliver was not on the stat sheet at all.  He needs to start showing up.  

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

On the stat sheet Star Lotulelei only had a single tackle, but may have had a lot to do  with Miami failing (though barely) to get 4 yards per carry from their running backs.  Likewise, Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison were relatively invisible, but I can't really think of any contributions they made that wouldn't have shown up on the state sheet.  I think they were just plain not very effective.  I can't really imagine a scenario where Hughes and Addison are with the team in 2022.  Oliver was not on the stat sheet at all.  He needs to start showing up.  

Addison actually had some pressures that resulted in throwaways. I wanted the Bills to cut him loose but he was pretty good today.

I have no idea what you're referring to about Oliver; he was forcing plays all over the place today.

9 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Well he got a game ball. Thanks so much for your succinct and detailed analysis. 

It's even funnier when you consider McD just gave a ball to the entire defense and Edmunds just accepted it as captain.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

image.png.7a7c39c4cdc1d7a4f5d56b643b2c3c74.png

I’m half kidding. One way to look at it is the actual game was 35-0. The Fins had 216 yards. 13 first downs and 3.1 per play. I was saying during the game that Josh was better last week in the loss. It never seemed like a 21-0 game or 28-0 or 35-0. But obviously Edmunds wasn’t awful in the first half. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was saying during the game that Josh was better last week in the loss.

I would only agree with that in the sense that he was more conscientious about taking care of the ball last week.

It never seemed like a 21-0 game or 28-0 or 35-0

It didn't for the whole first half but I thought at the beginning of the 3rd when they got to 21-0 that it actually felt like 21-0.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Addison actually had some pressures that resulted in throwaways. I wanted the Bills to cut him loose but he was pretty good today.

I have no idea what you're referring to about Oliver; he was forcing plays all over the place today.

I think this goes to show how much more important it is to watch the game than to read the box score. I thought Oliver played VERY well. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I would only agree with that in the sense that he was more conscientious about taking care of the ball last week.

Not sure if it’s Josh or coaching but there were at least four throws where if he just gunned it like he normally does it’s probably a completion. But he tried to finesse a bunch and it backfired. NFL DBs are so fast, just gun it if you’re capable when they are open. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Not sure if it’s Josh or coaching but there were at least four throws where if he just gunned it like he normally does it’s probably a completion. But he tried to finesse a bunch and it backfired. NFL DBs are so fast, just gun it if you’re capable when they are open. 

I can tell he doesn't trust his protection right now, I wonder if he's subconsciously pulling punches to protect his legs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I saw Addison pressuring the QB several times.  The announcers called his name too 

Edited by Bob in STL

5 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Couldn't disagree more.

There is also a reason why the bills picked up his 5th year and didn't extend him. Cause they aren't sure about him yet.

I don't mean to be negative as the defence was outstanding. But if there was one player who I thought struggled it was Edmunds 

For me, Edmunds has largely been a disappoitment. He makes a few nice play but he always misses keep plays and gap containment. In a nutshell, he isn't consistent enough to be an elite LB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I can tell he doesn't trust his protection right now, I wonder if he's subconsciously pulling punches to protect his legs.

Not sure why on those particular plays it would enter the equation. He didn’t try to run much. They didn’t call many QB runs. I think they just thought they could do what they wanted. Especially after it was 14-0 early. 

3 hours ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

A missed tackle is bothering you after a 35-0 win.  Do you how long we have waited to get a Bills team this good?   Enjoy it.  

The missed int last week was an impossible catch, Diggs couldn’t have caught it.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Worst shutout ever. 

This was a great shutout win.  I’ve been watching them since 64 and shutouts are rare.  Our defense overcame two offensive turnovers, had 6 sacks, had a bunch of take always, and stopped them on every 4th down.  

It was also out biggest margin of victory over Miami ever.    35 points 

What was the problem with the worst shutout ever?  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

? Allen fumbled twice last week.  Can you explain a little what you’re thinking here?

He made a conscious decision to throw a couple balls today that he typically would not.

8 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

This was a great shutout win.  I’ve been watching them since 64 and shutouts are rare.  Our defense overcame two offensive turnovers, had 6 sacks, had a bunch of take always, and stopped them on every 4th down.  

It was also out biggest margin of victory over Miami ever.    35 points 

What was the problem with the worst shutout ever?  

He was being a sarcastic smartass.

It's why nobody likes him. <_<

• Haha (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The pass to McKenzie that was almost intercepted comes to mind. He had another to Knox, same exact result. Last week he had one to Diggs that he threw with touch and it allowed the DB to come back and break up the ball. So yes this is a recurring theme so far this year and I have to believe it has been coached into him because Allen has never seen a passing window he didn't want to throw a rocket into. My guess is someone told him touch passes give the receiver more chance at YAC and now he's trying too hard to loft it in there. My proposed solution is whoever told him to do that, tell him not to do that anymore. Simple fix.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

A missed tackle is bothering you after a 35-0 win.  Do you how long we have waited to get a Bills team this good?   Enjoy it.  

no the conversation is about Edmunds play. i love the big win, and the drop last week diggs makes in his sleep, cmon dont disrespect him like that

• Like (+1) 1