Bills unlikely to leave Buffalo if PSE doesn’t get public or state funding for stadium

BuffaloBills1998

• 4 weeks later...

From today's news. Erie County legislators push for public hearings for Bills stadium lease deal 

If there are "hearings" and related nonsense, the stadium is dead. Anything grubby WNY politicians get their hands on dies a slow agonizing death. I guarantee if there are hearings a vocal minority will dominate the dialogue and the stadium is dead. And if the stadium dies, we all know what happens next.

But hey, we got one hell of a carousel. That is our national claim to fame.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, boater said:

From today's news. Erie County legislators push for public hearings for Bills stadium lease deal 

If there are "hearings" and related nonsense, the stadium is dead. Anything grubby WNY politicians get their hands on dies a slow agonizing death. I guarantee if there are hearings a vocal minority will dominate the dialogue and the stadium is dead. And if the stadium dies, we all know what happens next.

They arent going anywhere.

A new stadium will be built.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, boater said:

The stadium is going to be built somewhere in Erie County whether or not this happens.  

2 minutes ago, boater said:

purple drank GIF

33 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Put it to a vote for funding. Easy. Let the people decide. 

They did that for the 49ers. The citizens of the City of San Francisco overwhelmingly approved a new stadium for the 49ers back in 1996. A few city councilmen didn't want it, never got built, and the 49ers built their own stadium 10 miles from San Jose. 

On 9/15/2021 at 5:19 AM, Niagara Dude said:

Until some city dying for an NFL team offers up a pot of gold to move,  city officials need to put up money.  Not asking too much to build a stadium every 50 years. Thinking that they can renovate again is total BS,  you have some cities like Atlanta and Washington that are going on their second stadiums while Buffalo just renovates.  

No joke and the bills are a young hot team, any city should jump at a chance to get them. But for me Buffalo is the only place 

Stadium was a done deal a long time ago. Now they're just putting out feelers for how much the taxpayers will tolerate. They anchored at 100% and had a backlash. They'll settle for 50%-75%. 

Behind closed doors the politicians and developers are ironing out who pockets what. The NFL always gets what it wants. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, boater said:

But hey, we got one hell of a carousel. That is our national claim 

I agree with you. These things tend not to encourage progress in cooperative deal-making but stifle it. Hope I am wrong but I fear the repercussions if a vocal minority is able to control the narrative and influence public perception.

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

Stadium was a done deal a long time ago. Now they're just putting out feelers for how much the taxpayers will tolerate. They anchored at 100% and had a backlash. They'll settle for 50%-75%. 

Behind closed doors the politicians and developers are ironing out who pockets what. The NFL always gets what it wants. 

Exactly right.  A good friend of mine (yeah, one of those deals) is a member of a prominent family with a long history in NYS and local politics.  I've kept in constant communication with him regarding the stadium situation.  This isn't being detailed.  

6 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Deals like this are done behind closed doors.  Probably done some time ago.

Even with the backlash, deal should get done soon.  Erie County/NYS footing a good portion.  As the Bills keep winning, the tolerability of the deal will only get stronger for taxpayers.  

I put a deal announcement out around the time Bills claim AFCE.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, boater said:

If this wasn't about the stadium this would be spot on. How's the second peace bridge coming along or bass pro. I do think the stadium gets done. If there's any issue the people causing it will be voted out. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

Re: San Diego, my daughter lived there for 10 years, actually near the stadium for a while.  They have spectacular fall weather, and many things to do [beaches] other than football.  Also the military population isn't exactly overpaid, and have to deal with frequent deployments, training etc.  Be interested how much long term fan support they draw in LA when they are renting the stadium from the Rams. 

32 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Re: San Diego, my daughter lived there for 10 years, actually near the stadium for a while.  They have spectacular fall weather, and many things to do [beaches] other than football.  Also the military population isn't exactly overpaid, and have to deal with frequent deployments, training etc.  Be interested how much long term fan support they draw in LA when they are renting the stadium from the Rams. 

Living in Southern California I can tell you the Chargers get almost no air time or support here. The Rams get the vast majority of it. SoCal loves a winner though, so I’m sure the Chargers will get some bandwagon attention if they go on a playoff run…but I doubt it will last. Even after decades in LA the Clippers are still just an afterthought here compared to the Lakers. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, boater said:

When allowed to vote on it, a majority in SD and STL voted against funding.

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Living in Southern California I can tell you the Chargers get almost no air time or support here. The Rams get the vast majority of it. SoCal loves a winner though, so I’m sure the Chargers will get some bandwagon attention if they go on a playoff run…but I doubt it will last. Even after decades in LA the Clippers are still just an afterthought here compared to the Lakers. 

I just took a look at the attendance figures for the Rams game in week 4 and the Chargers game for week 5.  The Rams had 70,003 paid attendance and the Chargers had 70,240.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.