• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Ed Oliver have a breakout year

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will Gabe Davis have a breakout year

• Yes
    • No

With some players "flashing" potential, or not, over the past few years, I wanted to get everyone's take on whether the following players will have a "breakout" year.  What does "breakout" mean, I have no idea.  I suppose it is to become an impact player that other teams plan around and also have impacts on the game that show up in stats.  But whatever it is to you, will these guys have a breakout year?     

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

If either Edmunds or Oliver can have a true breakout season this defense should be a top 5 unit again, if both do look out.

We would have an incredible defense, could have stars at every level, D line, linebackers and secondary is packed with 3/4 of the legit top players .  And Epenesa as well, he could have a breakout year

• Like (+1) 1

I think Ed Oliver can be very good, but when I think "breakout year", I went Yes on Edmunds and Davis with a No on Oliver.

-Edmunds has elite potential and if he's going to put it all together, it will be this year.  I think he finally starts making splash plays regularly. 

-Davis will destroy the depth corners he faces and I think he'll be a big threat in the red zone with the focus on other WR's and Allen's legs.

-Oliver, imo, will be solid, but my breakout guys on the DL are Epenesa and Rousseau.  Would love to be wrong on Oliver's upside.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Edmunds is who he is. So I say no breakout. 

Oliver I don't know. This could go either way. I don't think he's the pass rusher we thought we were drafting. I'm going to say no breakout. 5 sacks. 

Gabe Davis is going to lead the Bills in TD catches. I see something like 65+ catches 800+ yards and 10+ TD'S. I'm calling a breakout for Davis. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think Ed Oliver can be very good, but when I think "breakout year", I went Yes on Edmunds and Davis with a No on Oliver.

-Edmunds has elite potential and if he's going to put it all together, it will be this year.  I think he finally starts making splash plays regularly. 

-Davis will destroy the depth corners he faces and I think he'll be a big threat in the red zone with the focus on other WR's and Allen's legs.

-Oliver, imo, will be solid, but my breakout guys on the DL are Epenesa and Rousseau.  Would love to be wrong on Oliver's upside.  

I voted the same.

Edmunds - he'll benefit from the improved D line. He's kind of in a prove-it year to get a big contract. We could see him lead all LBs in INTs and get his first All-pro nod.

Oliver - he could have a great year, but I imagine him still eating a lot of double teams. I don't think he's yet at a level where he'll consistently beat those and be a game wrecker. It's the DEs who will be more noticeable and have a potential breakout year.

Davis - I can easily see him being the Bills 2nd leading WR with a 1000+ yard season. Allen has complete trust in him with his improved routing running and superb hands. He'll have good match-ups every week, drawing the defense's 2nd or 3rd CB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Gabe will have a good year but his snap count will probably go down slightly (74% last year) but his catch % will go up.

He had 600 yards last year and will get 700 or so this year as WR4.  Next year when he is full time #2 will be the breakout.

This is all predicated on Sanders staying healthy and taking the lion's share of snaps at WR2.

Ed will see his snap count go up slightly (54% last year) and his play will improve a lot.  Not sure if that means a "breakout" year.

Tremaine is tricky.  I believe that McDermott and Frazier tweak the front 6 scheme and Edmunds benefits from it.

He matures this year enough to curb his polarization with most of his critics.  I would call that a breakout year.   LOL.

Gabe Davis had his break out year last year..  I voted no on all.

I'm going with Levi Wallace.  Kid just takes all the disrepect and challenges to his position and keeps his job.  I'm am betting that the DL push will be better allowing less time (not no time) to throw this year.  He is now in his 4th year with a returning cast of DBs..  Levi shows he is a worthy CB2.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Edmunds is who he is. So I say no breakout. 

Oliver I don't know. This could go either way. I don't think he's the pass rusher we thought we were drafting. I'm going to say no breakout. 5 sacks. 

Gabe Davis is going to lead the Bills in TD catches. I see something like 65+ catches 800+ yards and 10+ TD'S. I'm calling a breakout for Davis. 

I feel the same about Edmunds, I keep hearing 'he's only 23' despite entering his 4th NFL season but he's not playing a position with a steep learning curve in the NFL, in fact it's one of the easiest but realistically I think he's been miscast and probably a better fit as a 3-4 LB on the outside.

Regarding Oliver, if he gets 5 sacks that's pretty decent especially if others around him have higher numbers. But even if he 'breaks out' I don't see the 2nd coming of Aaron Donald or anything like that.

Gabe Davis could very well end up the #2 WR by the end of the season in terms of yards, TD, etc.

Truthfully, I think Edmunds does a decent job as a pass rusher. I think it was Shaw that said he would rather the Bills use a more aggressive defensive scheme and I agree with him 100%. Bend but don't break just keeps the defense on the field longer and with this offense's ability to score at will, I don't see an issue with a more aggressive scheme

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Rookies don’t ‘Break out’. They can have fantastic rookie campaigns and even win ROY, but to ‘break out’ is to come from a lower tier. Rookies ARE the lower tier.

2 minutes ago, wjag said:

Gabe Davis had his break out year last year..  I voted no on all.

I disagree on Davis. It wasn't a breakout year.  He simply put up solid numbers in one of the best offenses in the NFL. 

A breakout season for him would be 70+ catches and 1000 yds

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Rookies don’t ‘Break out’. They can have fantastic rookie campaigns and even win ROY, but to ‘break out’ is to come from a lower tier. Rookies ARE the lower tier.

So Justin Jefferson didn't have a break out year?  We can disagree.  My criteria is below.

4 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

I disagree on Davis. It wasn't a breakout year.  He simply put up solid numbers in one of the best offenses in the NFL. 

My criteria is someone who put their name in the conversation that wasn't there already or who wasn't expected to be there.  Everyone expects Davis to be more this year.  So by my metric, unless he dramatically increases his numbers, he is anticipated to improve, so not break out. 

20 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

I disagree.  He made several amazing catches, learned how to position himself in scramble drills and became a core player imo.  Without him, I don’t think we would’ve beaten the colts. He was unreal that game. One of the best playoff performances I can remember by a rookie WR

• Thank you (+1) 1