Aaron Donald---best defensive player ever?? Many current NFL players think so...

Big Turk

I'll tell you what, in a few years there might be headlines about the Maybe the best offensive player ever in Josh Allen.

33 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Even Diggs is in the clip touting him...Donald is an unbelievable talent...best ever, that is pushing it but the way he puts up DE numbers from the DT position is pretty crazy

https://sports.yahoo.com/damien-harris-calls-aaron-donald-180319020.html

Could Leslie Frazier and Sean MvDermott take a player like Donald and turn him into a four point five sacks per year player?

That’s because current players are so young they’ve never seen LT.  By HOF coaches and on is thought of the best defensive player of all time.  Even higher than Bruuuuce.

Ask Theisman and his leg.  He changed the game.  That doesn’t mean I don’t think Donald isn’t the best current defensive player.  Not all time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

It’s totally possible. There are a lot of players before my time. But perspective, Bruce had something like 12 straight years with double digit sacks )our suppose if 91 where he played a handful of games.

Its a bit too early,  it he’s in the conversation.  

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

That’s because current players are so young they’ve never seen LT.  By HOF coaches and on is thought of the best defensive player of all time.  Even higher than Bruuuuce.

Ask Theisman and his leg.  He changed the game.  That doesn’t mean I don’t think Donald isn’t the best current defensive player.  Not all time.

i don’t think it’s crazy to include Donald in the conversation. LT was definitely that type of player too. There will always be a few contenders based on what different people value most. 

Just now, Mango said:

It’s totally possible. There are a lot of players before my time. But perspective, Bruce had something like 12 straight years with double digit sacks )our suppose if 91 where he played a handful of games.

Its a bit too early,  it he’s in the conversation.  

yup. Hard to crown a guy before you know how his career wraps, but he definitely checks the boxes for being on track to be a serious member of the conversation. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dude is amazing, but JJ Watt was on pace too to win all Defensive Player of the Year all the time. Injuries happened... then Donald busted on the scene. TIME will determined how he ranks compared to the greats of the past.

And while no doubt he's the #1 defensive player of the league as of now, I still feel TJ Watt should have won the award last year based on all the stats. Just like when Paup earned it, Bruce was still the man, but Bryce has an amazing year.

House, did Butkus spit on you’re knuckles too in the three point stand.  He definitely is up there for meanest defender with MJ Greene.

The point to me is it’s so hard to compare eras.  I agree with the above the Minister, Bruce, LT, and we can add so many others.  It’s why I said it is understandable from young players to say Donald is the absolute best who is playing.  Honestly I’m a little disappointed Mack hasn’t been performing to be in the competition.  I think it’s a function partially of how he’s used.

Edited by machine gun kelly

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

House, did Butkus spit on you’re knuckles too in the three point stand.  He definitely is up there for meanest defender with MJ Greene.

The point to me is it’s so hard to compare eras.  I agree with the above the Minister, Bruce, LT, and we can add so many others.  It’s why I said it is understandable from young players to say Donald is the absolute best who is playing.  Honestly I’m a little disappointed Mack hasn’t been performing to be in the competition.  I think it’s a function partially of how he’s used.

I saw him play every week in the 60s. Not only was he the best, the guy was crazy too. Scary crazy

• Like (+1) 3

Considering the numbers he puts up from the DT position, I can see why he's in that conversation.

And it's not like he just lucks into some sacks either. The guy is a real force to be reckoned with, and can single-handedly disrupt an entire offense. Sacks aside, he's great in every facet of the game. He can eat space or get penetration, even while double teamed, get his hands up to tip passes or impede the QB's line of sight, pressure QB's to move out of the pocket, stuff the run entirely, or even pursue a runner from behind & make a play.

If he stays healthy & has a long career, he will consistently be put at the top of all time greats lists.

• Agree 1

Unpopular opinion, but YES. I think Aaron Donald would absolutely go into any past era and dominate (as would any good-great player of today.) But the players of the past didn't have nearly the amount of tools, training diet, individual coaching, etc like they do now especially the ones from the infancy of the NFL. A guy like Deacon Jones for example. Who knows how good he would be? Guys are just bigger, stronger, faster now and the rules are much different along w/ overall philosophies. There's just way too many variables to determine best ever. But yeah, if you stick them all on a team I think Aaron Donald would be the best given all of his obvious advantages. The real question is, could a guy from those eras come into THIS era and dominate? 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles