Jim Kelly Was Better Than Brady Imo..

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think it's kind of ridiculous to suggest Kelly was more athletic than anyone.

I always used to laugh when the broadcast guys would talk about how he was slated to be a linebacker at PSU.  How was that possible?  He had nothing close to the speed to play LB at that level for a major school power.  No way was that going to happen.

Tom Brady is deceptively athletic, but it doesn't matter.  His skill is that he's CONSISTENT, and bring a mental component to the QB position Kelly couldn't dream of possessing.

The game is about 10 million times more complicated now, compared to Kelly's era.

You might think it’s ridiculous, but he was recruited to penn state as a scholarship  linebacker by Paterno and led his high school basketball team to states averaging 20+ points per game. 

22 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Anybody else ever notice how some of the greatest players to ever play their sports were completely overlooked at some point in there careers…

Jordan, Brady, Favre, even Kelly to a certain extent as his dream school, Penn St, wanted him to play Linebacker, … which by the way I love Jim, but cmon… not even close.

But more importantly, back to my point of the greats being overlooked… that’s pretty much been the story of Josh’s entire football life and career up until he got that mega extension.  I think as great as Jim was, we might be witnessing the beginnings of a very special story just really starting to unfold here in Western NY.

Eventually the conversation will be Brady or Josh?

Let Allen be Allen and not start talking like that.  If Allen makes say 4 SB and wins 2.. I think most here would crown him king of Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Best QBs of all time:

1. Jim Kelly

2. Peyton Manning

3. Doug Flutie

4. Josh Allen

5. Tom Brady

6. Johnny Unitas

7. QB Bills

8. Dan Marino

9. John Elway

10. Joey Harrington

#7 is particularly underrated. I mean c'mon, he won us that game that one time against that team that mattered! 

Edited by BigDingus

19 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Best QBs of all time:

1. Jim Kelly

2. Peyton Manning

3. Doug Flutie

4. Josh Allen

5. Tom Brady

6. Johnny Unitas

7. QB Bills

8. Dan Marino

9. John Elway

10. Joey Harrington

Just off the top of my head....Brady, Manning, Marino, Elway, Brees, Montana, Young are better than Kelly. I think Jim was a great Bill but he is probably in the top 15 when it comes to best QB's if you make a list and keep the opinions objective.

On 9/5/2021 at 2:28 PM, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Admittedly I'm a huge Bills fan. My happiness is dependent upon them winning or losing a game. I will get that out of the way. And no...Kelly isn't close to Brady's accomplishments. But it's a team game.

But...I have Kelly ahead of him all time. Why? Kelly faced fierce defenders and wasn't bailed out by refs. Kelly was innovative. The K gun offense changed football. And lastly, Kelly didn't cheat. No spygate or deflategate.

I know I am going to be laughed at by some. But are there any of you that put Kelly>Brady all time?

My top 5 QB's ever:

Montana

Manning

Kelly

Elway

Marino

Ring count says no.

19 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I always used to laugh when the broadcast guys would talk about how he was slated to be a linebacker at PSU.  How was that possible?  He had nothing close to the speed to play LB at that level for a major school power.  No way was that going to happen.

Tom Brady is deceptively athletic, but it doesn't matter.  His skill is that he's CONSISTENT, and bring a mental component to the QB position Kelly couldn't dream of possessing.

The game is about 10 million times more complicated now, compared to Kelly's era.

First, you are dead ass wrong about Kelly and PSU. The fact is, Paterno wanted him as a LBer. Just like his brother, Pat,  played LBer in college and in the NFL.

Two, as to the game is so much more complicated now,....look at the stats from QB's today to 30 years ago. In 1991, one QB, Warren Moon, threw for over 4,000 yards. Last yearin the NFL, FOURTEEN QB's did that. I'd ventuare to say because it ismuch easier to play QB now than it ever has.

Edited by Beast

1 minute ago, Beast said:

First, you are dead ass wrong about Kelly and PSU. The fact is, Paterno wanted him as a LBer. Just like his brother player LBer in college.

Two, as to the game is so much more complicated now,....look at the stats from QB's today to 30 years ago. In 1991, one QB, Warren Moon, threw for over 4,000 yards. Last yearin the NFL, FOURTEEN QB's did that. I'd ventuare to say because it ismuch easier to play QB now than it ever has.

Defenses can't play defense anymore. Watching CFB over the weekend it seemed like every hard hit was called for "targeting". Players were getting ejected one right after the other. I am all for player safety but many of these hits are just good football hits and not dirty in any way.

34 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Just off the top of my head....Brady, Manning, Marino, Elway, Brees, Montana, Young are better than Kelly. I think Jim was a great Bill but he is probably in the top 15 when it comes to best QB's if you make a list and keep the opinions objective.

I think Kelly is very tricky to place.

Id say a lot/all of those guys you listed, but you also need to add Rivers and Rodgers.

Also, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Bradshaw, Favre, Staubach, Aikman, Warren Moon, Tarkenton, Rothlisberger all have a pretty strong case to be made as well as old timers Unitas, Graham, Baugh, Starr, Bobby Layne

And now we have an endless crop of superhero quarterbacks that look like they are going to make our entire list look like chumps.

Edited by May Day 10

20 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Kelly was a great athlete.  He was not only a top football player in Pennsylvania, he also an All State Basketball player...played guard.  In his senior year, he averaged 23 ppg and 20 rebounds per game.  

Penn State was a powerhouse back then.  Do you think Paterno saw Kelly and said "he's slow and unathletic...lets put him at linebacker"?

Passing was easier in Kelly's era???

Edited by Royale with Cheese

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I think Kelly is very tricky to place.

Id say a lot/all of those guys you listed, but you also need to add Rivers and Rodgers.

Also, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Bradshaw, Favre, Staubach, Aikman, Warren Moon, Tarkenton, Rothlisberger all have a pretty strong case to be made as well as old timers Unitas, Graham, Baugh, Starr, Bobby Layne

And now we have an endless crop of superhero quarterbacks that look like they are going to make our entire list look like chumps.

When its all said and done Allen will have every Bills QB record assuming he stays healthy and plays his entire career with the Bills. Looking at your list I forgot to mention Moon, Favre as well. I didn't include players still playing(except Brady as he is the GOAT) though just retired ones.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Defenses can't play defense anymore. Watching CFB over the weekend it seemed like every hard hit was called for "targeting". Players were getting ejected one right after the other. I am all for player safety but many of these hits are just good football hits and not dirty in any way.

That is correct. That is why it is much easier for any offensive player, especially QB, to play the game today compared to 20-30 years ago.

2 hours ago, Beast said:

That is correct. That is why it is much easier for any offensive player, especially QB, to play the game today compared to 20-30 years ago.

Both can be true.  There is no doubt the rules changes have helped the offense. However, modern NFL QB's have been training to play QB in passing offenses since middle school.  That wasn't the case in the 1980's.  They were running the option in HS and college.  Very few pro-style offenses in college let alone HS back then.  The number of good quality QB's is just greater than it was in the 1980's and certainly in the 1970's.  

Jim Kelly was an all time great and will always hold a special place in Buffalo even if Allen (or someone else) ever wins a SB here but he's nowhere close to Brady, Montana, Manning, etc if anything because he doesn't have any rings on his resume.

Some will argue Marino was better despite only one SB appearance in his career.

I mentioned this in another thread recently but as good as Kelly was, his career high in passing yards for a single season was @3800 yards (91). He also only threw for 30+ TD's once (also 91). Sure the game was a bit different during his prime 30 years ago but those are very average at best numbers in todays league.

The hardest thing to do as a QB is to break into the league and stay.  I call it the QB curve.   Brady never had to do it like the others because they were stealing signs and letting him know what coverages and where the blitzers were coming from.  Brady didn't even have a 2:1 Td to INT ration until his 5th year.

He developed into a great QB but to be called the best, no, you have to pay your dues and he cheated that.  He is the most accomplished when all is said and done.   How he did it, he has to look in the mirror about and all the cash in the world doesn't change that.

Maybe I'm old but there should be integrity in sports IMO.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ring count says no.

I haven't read through the whole thread - but the "rings" argument is a bad one. 

There is the obvious "Is Dilfer better than Marino?"  But beyond that, this isn't tennis or golf, or even basketball.

Put Brady on the Packers w/ McCarthy as his coach and a less sound team overall - does he have more rings than Rogers?  Does BB only have 1 ring if Rogers is his QB instead of Brady?

A lot of things went wrong for Kelly to not have any rings - and most of those were things out of his control.  If Norwood makes that FG, what happens?  Do they easily handle the Redskins the next year, and then split w/ the Cowboys because a 10,000 lb. monkey isn't on their back at that point?

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Which is why I hate comparing eras. Otto Graham football was different than Terry Bradshaw who was different than Montana which was vastly different than Brady! That’s why I say Brady is one of the greatest and IMO the GOAT, because it’s just that an opinion.  They were all great and the game so different. (Let’s face it Bradshaw got hit harder than Kelly and Marino lol)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Which is why I hate comparing eras. Otto Graham football was different than Terry Bradshaw who was different than Montana which was vastly different than Brady! That’s why I say Brady is one of the greatest and IMO the GOAT, because it’s just that an opinion.  They were all great and the game so different. (Let’s face it Bradshaw got hit harder than Kelly and Marino lol)

I can't stand Brady but I agree that he is the GOAT. He has Championships to be measured against and played in a league with 31 other teams in a salary cap era.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1