Bills open practice 9/1 and media

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Keeping Hollister doesn’t change anything though. He isn’t some great weapon in the passing game. 

I agree in a sense with this, but he seemed pretty darn reliable. I still have hopes for Knox but his hands are inconsistent, and Sweeney I like as well but he seems to be injured quite often. Maybe Gilliam surprises us as he looks like he can do a number of things.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Odd that the Bills will add 2 QBs to the Practice Squad

Not surprising really - I think this gives them some COVID protection just in case and neither Webb nor Fromm shined.  It might be a position they can flex out of if they decide they want someone else later on.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Does that really make them worse.  Sweeney has shown himself to be as good as Kroft and nearly everyone complained about Lee Smith even being on the roster.

I wouldn’t argue they are better, but I am not sure they are worse.

That last is where I am

I am not sure Sweeney has shown himself to be as good as Kroft - we didn't see him at all in 2020 or past the 1st week of training camp

But, I also don't think he has shown himself to be worse.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That last is where I am

I am not sure Sweeney has shown himself to be as good as Kroft - we didn't see him at all in 2020 or past the 1st week of training camp

Sweeney cannot get himself on the field - availability is a skill, he lacks it.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So Knox and Sweeney can’t accomplish those things? 

What exactly am I missing here? What does Hollister do that nobody else on the roster can’t?

Catch the ball?  j/k kinda

My only reasoning is if Knox gets injured we have someone.  Sweeney is almost always injured.  I guess Gilliam can fill that role?

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Somebody ask him why he consistently keeps 5 CBs when 3 are on the field at all times. Meanwhile, he keeps 9 OL for 5 spots and 6 LBs for 2 spots. I've gotten used to it, but going thin at the CB position is a frustrating hallmark of this regime.

Just like that frustrating hallmark of winning most of the time, 

Somebody ask him why he consistently keeps 5 CBs when 3 are on the field at all times. Meanwhile, he keeps 9 OL for 5 spots and 6 LBs for 2 spots. I've gotten used to it, but going thin at the CB position is a frustrating hallmark of this regime.

Just like that frustrating hallmark of winning most of the time, 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't care about Hollister - he's a JAG.  I'd have liked them to upgrade at the position this past offseason.  Their only move was bringing in Hollister, whom they've now cut.

We operate on this philosophy at my work of 80%. Focus on delivering something good for 80% of the users over something that 100% of users will find useful because the diminishing returns of getting that last 20% spikes rapidly. 

TEs are the 20%. Why a bunch of resources there when 80% of your offense runs through WRs? 

This idea that "if they had a better TE then they'd use them more!" is a fallacy. Stop searching for the right 'tool' to fit your perception of what you need and use what you have...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 wide, 3 wide will be 90% of the offense.  I do not see a lot of multiple te sets.  I think Brown and or Bates will be on goaline plays.  Short yardage hurry up and Allen keeping is the staple play. 

Edited by Mat68

You see, your priorities are not the Buffalo Bills priorities, that is maybe your frustrating hallmark?  😁👍

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That last is where I am

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Sweeney cannot get himself on the field - availability is a skill, he lacks it.

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Catch the ball?  j/k kinda

My only reasoning is if Knox gets injured we have someone.  Sweeney is almost always injured.  I guess Gilliam can fill that role?

Sweeny’s availability has not been worse than Kroft - who missed significant time each year due to injury.

I would also watch the PS as it sounds like Morris (nice potential receiving TE) and perhaps Becker (Blocking role) will be re-signed - meaning if Knox or Sweeney are injured they can call up a replacement for either role.  

I also would not rule out a trade at a later time if something shakes free, but I think they are happy with the grouping of guys they have.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

That's fine but why does Sweeney offer more than Hollister? That's what I don't understand. It can't be a cap move because Hollister was only set to make a couple hundred thousand more than Sweeney. Usually even with the moves I disagree with I can see the logic in, this one I just don't see it.

when Sweeney is healthy, I would argue he has as much upside as Knox. I like Sweeney a lot. He has solid hands and a good blocker just can’t stay healthy. If he cab stay on the field he could end up TE 1

19 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm sure in year 8 that Kroft is about to go off after not doing that in year 1-7

If people just think of the 4th WR on the field as a split out TE then they won't have to freak out. 

Jesus, that’s a good point!!…as in TDJesus…

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They subtracted Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith and added absolutely nobody.

Addition thru subtraction in this case….👍

That and TD Jesus is a better version of Hollister if you think about those two, so no real loss in letting Hollister go…, 

Edited by Don Otreply

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

That's fine but why does Sweeney offer more than Hollister? That's what I don't understand. It can't be a cap move because Hollister was only set to make a couple hundred thousand more than Sweeney. Usually even with the moves I disagree with I can see the logic in, this one I just don't see it.

Pretty obvious to me- blocking.  Hollister is a WR playing TE.  Hollister is clearly more valuable as a pass catcher and I was hoping we’d keep him……but dude can’t block.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

We operate on this philosophy at my work of 80%. Focus on delivering something good for 80% of the users over something that 100% of users will find useful because the diminishing returns of getting that last 20% spikes rapidly. 

TEs are the 20%. Why a bunch of resources there when 80% of your offense runs through WRs? 

This idea that "if they had a better TE then they'd use them more!" is a fallacy. Stop searching for the right 'tool' to fit your perception of what you need and use what you have...

Yep, the old 80/20 rule.  Know it well.  I am over the TE thing.  Bills O will have up to 5 receivers on the field at times.

I'm sure some linemen will be used for "eligible receivers" in short yardage situations.

Maybe Sweeney can get and stay healthy.  Onward and upward.

Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 3