Bills open practice 9/1 and media

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

Looks like they are fine with Quintin Morris on the practice squad in the event of an injury at TE. I am more concerned with the depth at CB looks shaky to me.

Hopefully a waived CB and his agent see the need and sign with the Bills PS.  

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

We operate on this philosophy at my work of 80%. Focus on delivering something good for 80% of the users over something that 100% of users will find useful because the diminishing returns of getting that last 20% spikes rapidly. 

TEs are the 20%. Why a bunch of resources there when 80% of your offense runs through WRs? 

This idea that "if they had a better TE then they'd use them more!" is a fallacy. Stop searching for the right 'tool' to fit your perception of what you need and use what you have...

Why does it have to be a “bunch of resources”?    How about a couple mill or a draft pick?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Why does it have to be a “bunch of resources”?    How about a couple mill or a draft pick?

Or one of the dozens of UDFA gems or position-converting salvage jobs that seem to show up every year or two?  Heck the Bills actually HAD ONE OF THESE and got rid of him; he's now an upper-tier TE with the WFT.

• Like (+1) 1

The TBD consensus, and much of the media, was that several players released would be claimed by other teams. While there will undoubtedly be players signed after they clear waivers, it is interesting that the only player released that was claimed was McCloud.

I think there are two reasons:

1. A large percentage of a team's fans will overvalue their own players. See the comments/following of people on TBD over the years about players like Duke WIlliams, Da'Rick Rogers, a bunch of WR and RBs, etc.

2. With so many players in the market teams tend to know/value/trust their own which results in many/most that get cut ending back on the practice squad of the team that released them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

That's fine but why does Sweeney offer more than Hollister? That's what I don't understand. It can't be a cap move because Hollister was only set to make a couple hundred thousand more than Sweeney. Usually even with the moves I disagree with I can see the logic in, this one I just don't see it.

Sweeney offers more flexibility at the TE position.  Specifically, he can be trusted as an in-line blocker, and Hollister cannot.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Or one of the dozens of UDFA gems or position-converting salvage jobs that seem to show up every year or two?  Heck the Bills actually HAD ONE OF THESE and got rid of him; he's now an upper-tier TE with the WFT.

Not upper tier in anyone’s book…, a bit over stated there Coach…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Somebody ask him why he consistently keeps 5 CBs when 3 are on the field at all times. Meanwhile, he keeps 9 OL for 5 spots and 6 LBs for 2 spots. I've gotten used to it, but going thin at the CB position is a frustrating hallmark of this regime.

You have to have 8 per league rules and if you dress less than 8 on game day, you lose an extra active spot.  OR they kept 9, one over that amount.

Beane and most teams always will always tell you that they draft the best player available.  By doing that they ended up with two rookie tackles in the 3rd and 5th.  Don't think they felt they could gamble on releasing Doyle and with two rookies they needed to keep Ike and Bates.

Guess it came down to they felt Doyle was both better and more likely to get picked up by another team than Wildgoose.

Do agree on the 6 LB part, but sounds like the extra LB will fill Bam Johnson's slot on ST

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

I am absolutely flummoxed by the release of Hollister. I thought FOR SURE it was just roster gymnastics and he'd be brought back.

To go into the season with only Dawson Knox -- who still has yet to prove he can be a high quality starter at the position -- and Sweeney and Gilliam (and Gilliam is listed as a fullback, mind you) is crazy to me. It shows A TON of confidence in Dawson Knox. Even IF Knox breaks out, though, there's always health to consider. The Bills are now one Dawson Knox injury away from going into an actual NFL game with Tommy Sweeney and Reggie Gilliam as its only tight ends.

Between Hollister's athleticism, his chemistry with Josh, and just the sheer need to have more than one capable tight end in today's game, I just don't understand this move. It makes zero sense to me.

I was also very surprised by this. But ultimately this FO has earned my trust. This is essentially saying that Hollister would’ve been 3rd string behind Sweeney, and the dropoff from Hollister to the PS guys is minimal. 

That doesn’t really align with what I saw, but 1.) I didn't look at TE blocking at all 

during preseason, and 2.) The Bills have access to a lot more info than I do. Me reading practice reports is not the same as actually seeing the guys practice. 

So I’m surprised but not upset. 

21 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

We operate on this philosophy at my work of 80%. Focus on delivering something good for 80% of the users over something that 100% of users will find useful because the diminishing returns of getting that last 20% spikes rapidly. 

TEs are the 20%. Why a bunch of resources there when 80% of your offense runs through WRs? 

This idea that "if they had a better TE then they'd use them more!" is a fallacy. Stop searching for the right 'tool' to fit your perception of what you need and use what you have...

The problem with that logic is that “the 20%” might be what separates a Good team from a Championship team. There are strong benefits of having a real pass-catching threat at TE (who also blocks effectively in the run game). 

Having said that, I think Hollister has very little to do with this conversation. He looked good catching the ball to me, but still didn’t look like he’d be a difference maker.

If anything, I’m glad that this FO is willing to adapt their positional requirements to match their personnel. I remember multiple coaching staffs keeping 3-4 TEs on the roster who were really just practice squad level players. And a lot of talk about TE-centric offenses despite our best TE being someone like MarQueis Gray. 

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Logan Thomas was with us for 2 years and Detroit for another year and did nothing. Great for him that he earned a huge role with WFT last year at age 29, but I don’t think that would’ve happened on a halfway decent team. (And yes, I’m aware they won their division. I stand by what I wrote.)

And unless he really improved himself in the last 2 years, I still don’t think he’s a difference maker - just a guy making the most of his opportunity. The guy we had in 2017-2018 definitely wasn’t a difference maker from what I saw. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I feel like this years draft and last years kind of stunk regarding tight ends.  And as for a couple mil? https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tight-end/

Anyone on that list making 3m or less is not even really an upgrade.  

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Cash said:

I was also very surprised by this. But ultimately this FO has earned my trust. This is essentially saying that Hollister would’ve been 3rd string behind Sweeney, and the dropoff from Hollister to the PS guys is minimal. 

That doesn’t really align with what I saw, but 1.) I didn't look at TE blocking at all 

during preseason, and 2.) The Bills have access to a lot more info than I do. Me reading practice reports is not the same as actually seeing the guys practice. 

So I’m surprised but not upset. 

The problem with that logic is that “the 20%” might be what separates a Good team from a Championship team. There are strong benefits of having a real pass-catching threat at TE (who also blocks effectively in the run game). 

Having said that, I think Hollister has very little to do with this conversation. He looked good catching the ball to me, but still didn’t look like he’d be a difference maker.

If anything, I’m glad that this FO is willing to adapt their positional requirements to match their personnel. I remember multiple coaching staffs keeping 3-4 TEs on the roster who were really just practice squad level players. And a lot of talk about TE-centric offenses despite our best TE being someone like MarQueis Gray. 

Logan Thomas was with us for 2 years and Detroit for another year and did nothing. Great for him that he earned a huge role with WFT last year at age 29, but I don’t think that would’ve happened on a halfway decent team. (And yes, I’m aware they won their division. I stand by what I wrote.)

And unless he really improved himself in the last 2 years, I still don’t think he’s a difference maker - just a guy making the most of his opportunity. The guy we had in 2017-2018 definitely wasn’t a difference maker from what I saw. 

4-2 in the worst division in football.  3-7 outside the division.  You aren't wrong lol