TE Hollister Released

RyanC883

I understand that this team isn't really built around its TEs (obviously), and it's not as if we had any problem scoring points last year with Knox and Lee freaking Smith at the position.  But man Hollister certainly looked like a serviceable, low-end starter to me during the preseason, somebody who would make for really nice depth behind Knox and maybe push him for snaps.  I don't get letting him walk.  

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Unless we're essentially eliminating the position. 

Maybe not deleting the position altogether -- but running a base run-n-shoot style offense may seem plausible. Which of the following receivers would you have preferred to see come off the field in favor of Hollister?

Diggs

Sanders

Cole B.

Davis

And that does not even take into account McKenzie and Kumerow. 

For all the drops issues that Knox has, we all knew he wasn't really going anywhere. That meant a competition between Sweeney and Hollister for the other spot. 

• Agree 1

This is baffling.  I've watched a lot of Bills football the last couple of years and I've watched a lot of Hollister.  Hollister was the best TE in camp for the Bills period.  Hollister has a great relationship with Josh.  Hollister is a relatively cheap option from a salary cap perspective.  I honestly don't understand.  There has to be more to the story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billybob71 said:

sorry for breaking forum etiquette not real internet savvy and yes i do have a fun life good sir

I am just busting balls. You didn’t break any etiquette. No worries. Keep doing you. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/01/zach-ertz-happiest-ive-been-in-a-long-time/

“This is the place I want to be, this is the place I want to retire. I’m moving on from everything that happened this offseason,” Ertz said in his first media session of the year.

For some reason it feels like he's more likely to get traded than ever now.

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What happened to the gentlemen's agreement?  Multiple posters said Hollister would be back.  Please help me understand why Morris is on the PS instead of Hollister.

That's what we thought happened apparently not, he'll probably sign on to a 53 somewhere if not I don't see why we wouldn't bring him on to the PS.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What happened to the gentlemen's agreement?  Multiple posters said Hollister would be back.  Please help me understand why Morris is on the PS instead of Hollister.

Well the "gentlemen's agreement" were nothing but fan speculation.

Next Hollister is a FA now.  He and his agent no doubt are looking to get him signed to a 53 roster somewhere.

Morris (some thought maybe Becker) was next man up for the PS.

There is a chance no team wants Hollister on the 53 then he will have to look for a PS team.  Maybe that could be Buffalo.

During the season the PS does have a lot of turnover.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We exaggerate everything :doh:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

One thing more about the Hollister release. It probably has something to do with or a lot to do with, Sanders, Davis, Stevenson, Kumerow. They will just run more 4-5 wide instead of three. Hollister is no inline TE. If he’s going to be split we’re better off having a WR out there. 

This.  Plus, Beasley and Sanders are very good at finding soft spots in zones.  When we do go into two TE sets Sweeney is the better blocker and has good hands (although not as athletic as Hollister).  

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I understand that this team isn't really built around its TEs (obviously), and it's not as if we had any problem scoring points last year with Knox and Lee freaking Smith at the position.  But man Hollister certainly looked like a serviceable, low-end starter to me during the preseason, somebody who would make for really nice depth behind Knox and maybe push him for snaps.  I don't get letting him walk.  

I don't get it either. Hopefully he can find a way on this roster. I just trust Knox about as much as I do Edmunds. Why do I get the feeling the organization has given up on TE's all together.....

This is a move that doesn't make sense unless he's coming back. Knox has ability but will break your heart with untimely drops. Gilliam is a blocker and short yardage diversion. Hollister was one of Josh's favorite targets at Wyoming and was a contributor on a good Seattle team. If the reason was they thought Sweeney could bring more, I'd go with experience on a SB contender. 

The two top abilities in football are availability and reliability. Our current TE1 is missing the latter, and our current TE2 is missing the former.

At the very least, Hollister had both. He was not injury prone, and he had consistent hands. I see that as an improvement over Knox and Sweeney. And his chemistry with Josh was just starting to return to their college day level.

There's got to be a reason for this. Did Hollister steal a girlfriend from Josh back in college??

• Like (+1) 1

Hollister was also not re-signed by two different teams, signed to a low contract, and hasn’t found a new home yet either. Not like he’s thought of as a stud around the league. Maybe not even worthy of any 53 although I think eventually he will sign with someone. He was undrafted. The Pats traded him for a 7th round pick. He was released by Seahawks then re-signed to PS before making roster halfway through season. 

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm surprised that the Bills don't even seem to want him for the practice squad.

They seem to have decided that Quintin Morris is a more worthwhile practice squad stash than Hollister.

Huh.

We don't know that. He may not wanted to be here. He may be getting offers from other teams or a just wait a week or two and we will sign you notices. I know you know this, but just because a guy isn't on the PS doesnt mean A or B team didn't want him there.

• Like (+1) 1