KR/PR duties— how will this turn out?

After seeing the preseason games, I have been really impressed with Stevenson. Not only on the quality of his returns, but he seems to be very sure-handed and hasn’t displayed anything that might suggest poor judgment. 

I am thinking we could see him as the primary KR out there. I am less sure about PR, since it seems McKenzie might have the inside track on that spot (even though he has his “bad moments.”). But Stevenson has looked good too there. 

Then, there’s the issue of the limits on who you activate on gameday and whether that cuts in McKenzie’s favor of getting both the KR and PR duties because we can use him on offense too. 

Anyone have any predictions on how this all will shake out? 

At this point McKenzie brings more to offense than Stevenson does so think he get the job and Stevenson is inactive most Sundays barring injury to someone else   Think it's also why they keep 7 WR as McKenzie's snap count on offense may go down if returning.  Can't see him playing say on 1st down after just returning a KO, plus may be more cautious to avoid injury exposure.

McKenzie.  Stevenson to PS.  Thats my guess.  He cannot be given a spot on the 53 at WR as that means you're cutting Kumerow.  In a 17 +2 or 3 game season, at least two WRs will be down for multiple games in all likelihood.   The way the Bills throw it, they will need 7 roster WR + 2 PS to get through a 20 game season.   MS will get his shot.   

Kumerow is too important on ST.   McD plays "field position" defense (pin 'em deep on punts and kickoffs with great, great ST play and then make 'em go the length of the field).   This is why Bam and JK and T Jones are so important-- they are actually part of the defensive approach of the team.   

Also plays into why LBs are not really run stoppers but great cover guys, its all about gap integrity and keeping the game in front of you.   Drives typical knucklehead fans crazy when teams are ripping off 10 yard runs between the 30s, but it works in the long run.   Everyone bashes Edmunds, but he is just doing his job.  He was not drafted to be a dick butkus downhill banger , but moreso a gap filler tackler, and flexible side to side cover guy.   Its total team defense.   Frustrating for the 3 and out crowd, but it works.   and super strong special teams is a key to it working, by lengthening the field.  just my view

Edited by ProcessTruster
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

McKenzie.  Stevenson to PS.  Thats my guess.  He cannot be given a spot on the 53 at WR as that means you're cutting Kumerow.  In a 17 +2 or 3 game season, at least two WRs will be down for multiple games in all likelihood.   The way the Bills throw it, they will need 7 roster WR + 2 PS to get through a 20 game season.   MS will get his shot. 

You may be right, but there's a reasonable chance someone picks MS up if you expose him to waivers.

Both make the 53, then after some other roster moves McKenzie goes on IR.  Stevenson gets a 3 week audition with McKenzie on IR & then if he's good he stays as the return man & McKenzie is activated to the same role as last year.  If Stevenson isn't good enough, McKenzie gets the return job & Stevenson gets cut & put on the PS if he clears waivers.   

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

McKenzie.  Stevenson to PS.  Thats my guess. 

I think Stevenson put far too much on tape to get through waivers onto the PS.  Some WR-needy or injury stricken team will snipe him for sure, like we did McKenzie when Denver tried that.

I don't think Kumerow makes it through waivers either.

Beane did say that keeping 7 WR and 1 less TE is an option.  I think that was a statement actually enabled by Kumerow, because while he doesn't have the "heft" of a TE, he has the height, and he can block both in the backfield and downfield (and play teams).

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Stevenson put far too much on tape to get through waivers onto the PS.  Some WR-needy or injury stricken team will snipe him for sure, like we did McKenzie when Denver tried that.

I don't think Kumerow makes it through waivers either.

Beane did say that keeping 7 WR and 1 less TE is an option.  I think that was a statement actually enabled by Kumerow, because while he doesn't have the "heft" of a TE, he has the height, and he can block both in the backfield and downfield (and play teams).

Also the way Gilliam has played makes TE3 more expendable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Also the way Gilliam has played makes TE3 more expendable. 

Agreed.  So last year we had 6 WR + 4 TE counting Gilliam, 10 total

If we keep 7 WR + 2 TE + Gilliam that would still be 10 total

We get the extra offensive slot to keep 4 RBs including Taiwan Jones, by only keeping 2 QBs.

The real question is I feel we ought to keep 6 each at LB and CB.

1) how do we square that with the Glut at DE and DL?  I don't see keeping 11 DLmen as an option, really.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.  So last year we had 6 WR + 4 TE counting Gilliam, 10 total

If we keep 7 WR + 2 TE + Gilliam that would still be 10 total

We get the extra offensive slot to keep 4 RBs including Taiwan Jones, by only keeping 2 QBs.

The real question is I feel we ought to keep 6 each at LB and CB.

1) how do we square that with the Glut at DE and DL?  I don't see keeping 11 DLmen as an option, really.

With the PS rules some of our CB depth will probably be there like last season.

What I liked about Stevenson is not only that he is sure handed but that, because of that, he almost seems to be running as he catches and gets up field in top speed very quickly.  To me, that is what made Roberts such a good returner.  He wasn't overly shifty but he would get 10-15 yards up field very quickly.  I think it is the reason he would run the ball out of the end zone so often.  He thought he could get to the 25 before being caught and then he would have a chance to make a man miss and get better field position.  He was often wrong, and it seemed like a Roberts special to get tackled at the 22, but because he kept doing it, I suspect that the coaches were okay with it.  Sacrifice the 3 yards for the chance to gain an occasional 15 or 20.  I noticed Stevenson mastering the same "get tackled at the 22" move, and he just reminds me of Roberts in a lot of ways. If that is a skill set the coaches value, I suspect they keep him.

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

After seeing the preseason games, I have been really impressed with Stevenson. Not only on the quality of his returns, but he seems to be very sure-handed and hasn’t displayed anything that might suggest poor judgment. 

I am thinking we could see him as the primary KR out there. I am less sure about PR, since it seems McKenzie might have the inside track on that spot (even though he has his “bad moments.”). But Stevenson has looked good too there. 

Then, there’s the issue of the limits on who you activate on gameday and whether that cuts in McKenzie’s favor of getting both the KR and PR duties because we can use him on offense too. 

Anyone have any predictions on how this all will shake out? 

Great thread.  Sometimes people think whoever the KR is must also be the PR, or vice versa.  Good mention to say we might have someone different in each spot.

My observation is that Speedy is the more talented KR right now, and not far behind on PR but McKenzie still owns that right.  Stevenson was a top returner in college and think we specifically targeted him to replace Andre, and develop him as a WR.

As you said, numbers make it tough to dress 7 WRs on GameDay.  

So for now,y prediction is Speedy makes the team but won't dress immediately.  Either an injury, or continued development in practice during the season, will prompt them to potentially change their mind.

If we only use him as a KR, and most kickers can boot through the endzone, then that handicaps us 1 roster spot on GameDay.  Isaiah will be solid for us until Speedy is ready to take the reigns

• Like (+1) 1