KR/PR duties— how will this turn out?

7 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Even when Stevenson has not had a great return he has tracked the ball well and caught it well. Sure, strong hands. 

He muffed his only attempt at one of the open practices.  With little wind and no defenders coming at him. 

That Chris Watson card is great, too bad it couldn't say catcher lol.

One thing to point out, in the regular season, the amount of kick returns should minimal in some cases right? Anyone know the % of KRs last season that were attempted to be returned?

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

McKenzie.  Stevenson to PS.  Thats my guess.  He cannot be given a spot on the 53 at WR as that means you're cutting Kumerow.  In a 17 +2 or 3 game season, at least two WRs will be down for multiple games in all likelihood.   The way the Bills throw it, they will need 7 roster WR + 2 PS to get through a 20 game season.   MS will get his shot.   

Kumerow is too important on ST.   McD plays "field position" defense (pin 'em deep on punts and kickoffs with great, great ST play and then make 'em go the length of the field).   This is why Bam and JK and T Jones are so important-- they are actually part of the defensive approach of the team.   

Also plays into why LBs are not really run stoppers but great cover guys, its all about gap integrity and keeping the game in front of you.   Drives typical knucklehead fans crazy when teams are ripping off 10 yard runs between the 30s, but it works in the long run.   Everyone bashes Edmunds, but he is just doing his job.  He was not drafted to be a dick butkus downhill banger , but moreso a gap filler tackler, and flexible side to side cover guy.   Its total team defense.   Frustrating for the 3 and out crowd, but it works.   and super strong special teams is a key to it working, by lengthening the field.  just my view

I think they can keep Stevenson and Kumerow and indeed I believe they will keep 7 WRs. As for the way this team is built to play you are spot on. Fans get frustrated when we give up a 12 yard run or an 8 yard completion in front of Levi in off coverage and I get it... but that is the way Bills want you to attack them. They are dictating to you. The games when it falls down are those where the opponents are able to expose them in play action behind the linebackers and / or attack Tre's side of the field because that means they are dictating to us. For the most part McDermott is saying you have to go 80 yards plus and 10 yard runs and 8 yard curls in front of Levi are nice.... but the first time we stuff a run or Levi makes a play or your Quarterback throws a bad ball then we are going to get you in 3rd and long, know that you can't go play action, force you into the dropback passing game and get you off the field. While it felt like we were not quite as good of a 3rd down defense in 2020 (which we weren't) we were still 13th best in the NFL. I imagine getting back into the top 10 in that ranking is one of their aims for 2021 and an improved pass rush will certainly help.

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

He muffed his only attempt at one of the open practices.  With little wind and no defenders coming at him. 

Yea think it is important fans remember that the staff is evaluating camp as well as the games.

10 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

That Chris Watson card is great, too bad it couldn't say catcher lol.

One thing to point out, in the regular season, the amount of kick returns should minimal in some cases right? Anyone know the % of KRs last season that were attempted to be returned?

Bass last year had 70% of his 101 Kickoffs resulting in touchbacks.  I believe the league average is in the 60's. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nelius said:

I like the idea of mixing in Stevenson at some point but no way you make a rookie the main guy on this team right now. That's a miserable loss waiting to happen. It's got to be McKenzie.

I had that same initial reaction, but if you think about it, a lot of great teams have rookies start at KR (e.g., both tyreek hill and hardeman with the chiefs come to mind). I think we used Moulds as a KR his rookie year!