A Few Thoughts About the Lions Game, in no particular order

Virgil

As confused as you are about why the Bills let Bodork go, is how confused I am about why they kept him after the unliateral fake FG.  For every 4 or 5 70-yard boomers was that one 25-yard Shankopotamus that came at the most inopportune time to give the opposing team their desperately needed field position.  Loving me some Haack attock.

I'm with @Rico, stick with the Dead.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

General question to those who watched the game:  Were the Lions dirty at all?  I don't trust that idiot of a HC they have.

50 minutes ago, Rico said:

4. If I knew you were quoting Dave Matthews lyrics, I would’ve skipped these threads. Stick to GD please.

Seriously.  Dave Matthews AND the Barenaked Ladies?!?!  He was the Doors away from the trifecta of pureshit!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

General question to those who watched the game:  Were the Lions dirty at all?  I don't trust that idiot of a HC they have.

Seriously.  Dave Matthews AND the Barenaked Ladies?!?!  He was the Doors away from the trifecta of pureshit!

Singletary is listed as a non-participant in practice today due to bites on his knees.

• Haha (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Didnt seem to be. And I didnt really expect them to be too dirty. Just maybe trying a little too hard. You know, playing to the END of the whistle, crap like that.

But it looked like a normal preseason game.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Another reason Bojo was let go is he was a subpar holder, something that is often overlooked/glossed over. Haack is good in this regard and may factor into why Bass is so automatic now because the ball is in the right spot every single time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

It didn't help that we made it obvious early that we had zero intention of passing the ball nor had any starters at pass catcher besides Knox and Gabe out there. 

I mean they probably also wanted to practice running when the opponent knew you were going to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

General question to those who watched the game:  Were the Lions dirty at all?  I don't trust that idiot of a HC they have

I didn’t think so.  They honestly looked like us during the 3-13 year….lost.  

There’s almost zero continuity there.  

20 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

4. A different page from your 7th grade diary every week. 

I mean, how much can you write about Jennifer Aniston and Natalie Portman?

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean they probably also wanted to practice running when the opponent knew you were going to.

I took it as more, let’s get this game

over with, early in the first quarter 😜

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Bojo wasn't resigned because while he boomed punts, he had difficulties pinning teams inside their 20 and kicked a lot of TBs.

Hack was exceptional at doing this, so clearly the Bills think they can gain several yards of field position this way on punts, especially on ones that have a chance to pin teams deep in their own end.

It's the difference between how fans see the game and how couches and personnel people see the game.

We see it as "holy crap he kicked it 70 yards!!!", they see it as "if he would have only kicked it 55, we could have gained 5 yards by pinning them at their 15 instead of kicking a TB"

I also don’t think we necessarily need booming punts much either more . We should probably expect our offense at least to get over the 50 on most drives. I think Pinning them back is much more important with this team. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Bojo wn't resigned because while he boomed punts, he had difficulties pinning teams inside their 20 and kickedas aTBs. lot of

Haack was exceptional at doing this, so clearly the Bills think they can gain several yards of field position this way on punts, especially on ones that have a chance to pin teams deep in their own end.

It's the difference between how fans see the game and how coaches and personnel people see the game.

We see it as "holy crap he kicked it 70 yards!!!", they see it as "if he would have only kicked it 55, we could have gained 5 yards by pinning them at their 15 instead of kicking a TB"

He also had more than he share of shanks, too many at the pro level and was a marginal holder.  He reminded me a lot of Andre Roberts and why they didnt keep him, yes many times had had some great returns but he had his share of very poor return decisions and returns.  I think OBD is looking for  not only good players (that was good enough with what we had their first few years)  but now consistently good players.  And this lest two years are starting to really concentrate more on special teams, almost like a luxury compared to what they started out with.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I also don’t think we necessarily need booming punts much either more . We should probably expect our offense at least to get over the 50 on most drives. I think Pinning them back is much more important with this team. 

I mean we only had 42 of them...an NFL and franchise low 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean we only had 42 of them...an NFL and franchise low 

Thank you, I was just clicking over to a stats site to pull the number and make the same point.

Our Punter doesnt really matter, because we simply don't punt.

17 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I mean we get past the 50 and Bass is in FG range.

• Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Then why save a roster spot for Taiwan Jones if his is such a great gunner.

We can kick it in the end zone and with limited punts and a punter that can place the ball better.

Thanks for the writeup. Good, as always.

I respectfully disagree about AJ and Dobbins. I thought Epenesa had some bright moments both last season and in the game against the Lions on Friday night. There was one snap, in particular, where he and Rousseau met at the quarterback and it looked like they were gonna split him in half. Now that he's dropped some weight and no longer looks like a 5T and seems to have gained some burst, I think he has a bright future. I also feel like good Edge Rushers are so much more important to team success than running backs. I also haven't seen enough from Dobbins to make me feel like he'll be a substantially better pro than Zack Moss.

On the other hand, I have an edge rusher pick that I second guess as well, but for me it's Boogie Basham. I bought into the "we couldn't pass up the value, and edge rushers are so important" logic on draft night, but in retrospect, it's hard not to think Creed Humphrey or Aaron Robinson or Wyatt Davis wouldn't have helped this team more. Obviously, if Basham turns out to be a quality contributor, then I'm an idiot. I mean...I'm probably an idiot regardless, but I digress.

Oh, and If you're looking for a treasure trove of lyrics to pull from in your weekly writeups, it's hard to imagine a reserve more vast than Bob Dylan. Maybe that's too obvious, but it'd sure be a lot of material to work with. 

• Agree 1