Dolphins caved in and gave Howard a new contract

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, who broke Sunday's news, said it's believed to be the first time in NFL history a player with four years left on his deal has received added money and guarantees.  The network said Howard's deal includes a $1 million incentive for making All-Pro/the Pro Bowl, $2.5M in play-time incentives in ‘21, $600,000 in workout/per-game roster bonuses for ‘22 converted to his base salary and $6.775 million of ‘22 money guaranteed

I don't know what to think of this. 

It’s believed to be the first time in NFL history a player with four years left on his deal has received added money and guarantees.

Well it certainly won't be the last.....................now.

Thanks Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

Yeah, ***** him.   I would have made him play and traded him the moment it hurt the cap the least.  I wouldn’t want someone like that on my team.  

This is the kind of thing I was worried about for Diggs when we first traded for him and I’m very happy to be wrong 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Just another footnote in the logbook of the great culture they're building down there in Miami...

When they go 7-10 this year, Flores likely doesn't survive into Year 4

New coach comes in with a new system, Tua struggles in his Year 3, and they look to draft someone else

Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Meanwhile, we go 20-0 in the '20's against them

24 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yeah, ***** him.   I would have made him play and traded him the moment it hurt the cap the least.  I wouldn’t want someone like that on my team.  

This is the kind of thing I was worried about for Diggs when we first traded for him and I’m very happy to be wrong 

It's a bad precedent when owners let the tail wag the dog.  I would hate to see the NFL end up like the NBA, where players dictate where they go and who they play with.

There are obviously times when a player deserves more.  But this particular situation is friggin' nuts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

the real mistake was giving two "elite" free agents different large contracts at the same time.

And Howard and Jones performance was so dissimilar. I worried about this when Smoke and Beasley were signed - but they were not really alpha deals and they both played well enough. I think this  risk of pouting will predominantly be with alpha contracts.

Belichik did it a bit  better - he gave both his alpha TEs 12.5m per year deals. So right now things look kosher. But Smith has 31.25m guaranteed while Henry only has  25m. If Henry significantly outperforms Smith, we know what Henry should do.

edit: they were not simultaneous - my bad - Howard was extended a year earlier. This capitulation to Howard's demand sets such a bad precedent. My wish about the Pats situation remains though.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

We have been as stated above wagging the tail from above, but with respect.  This is what makes this special.  Small examples, we extend Tre, but ahead of the ding dongs and now is a great deal.  Same with Dawkins.  Same wit Milano.  This team is so forward thinking and so many idiots on the national media don’t even consider Josh’s contract also includes his fourth and fifth year.  Where do you think they backloaded that contract where the biggest hit happens when they are in the 2024 and beyond range when it absolutes explodes.  They couldn’t have played this better and Josh knew it.  He didn’t care.  He was the second highest guy and knows he gets to keep and add the best moving forward.

As much as Mahomes deal was genius so was this one.

As one of the guys who shall be nameless on this board eloquently said (sounds like Bandher) 

BLLAAAAAAAHHHHH!

And this is after Howard basically was counting his teammate pockets and basically told him I'm better than you. This is why the Dolphins are the Dolphins. 

This was not about keeping Howard happy as much as it was about Flores and Grier keeping their job. 

So I don't want to hear nothing from Dolphins talking about they are still in rebuilding mode. If they were they could have got a nice haul for Howard to continue there  'rebuild'