Sunday Ticket 2021

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Very helpful. My gut has been telling me to call around tomorrow— mid-August is always the time I usually call. 

I believe last year I didn’t strike a deal until the week before the season started.  Took 3 weeks of calls to get it done.  About 5 calls.  Worth the effort.

11 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm basing it off of the 10 years I had DTV if you want to call that "squeaky wheels". Also if you have gotten ST last 2 years free, you sir are one of the lucky ones. Because it is rare since AT&T took over. I canceled in 2018

Maybe it was your approach.

I haven't paid for Sunday ticket for several years*.  On top of that, I'm usually offered additional credits and programming benefits to retain me as a customer.

There were a few times when I wasn't being given the deal I was looking for and had to try a different CSR at a different time. 

* a couple of years ago, had to upgrade receiver and get Genies.  That came with a 2 year commitment, which took away some negotiating leverage. Had to pay discounted rate for the ticket that year. Well worth it still.

I'm always polite and respectful when dealing with the reps. Frequently getting into (sincere) personal conversations with CSR that ease the business aspect of it.  For some reason, I've had better luck dealing with reps who are stateside - where I think most Customer Retention reps are located.

This year, I didn't even have to ask. I was one of the longtime loyal customers who is automatically receiving the ticket at no cost. 

Even though I don't think DirecTV has been as responsive since AT&T came into the picture, they're generally still better than most company's service departments.  AT&T is no longer running the show.

Maybe you've just been unlucky or could be your demeanor was off-putting to the person on the other end of the line.  Enjoy the 2021 season!

Now, let's watch some Bills' football !!!

• Like (+1) 1

There really should be a separate forum of Sunday Ticket archives…I’m half-kidding but it would be entertaining.

I’ve finally begun the process of eliminating DTV…deactivated three receivers this week and reduced my package down to the lowest tier.  I have ST Max for free so I’ll keep it active on my two “main” TVs for the season.  After W18 I’ll cancel DTV for good.  If by next season there are no other ST options then I’ll pick it back up, at which point they’ll probably give me ST for free again.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, wjag said:

image.png.e600f6929264510950ea9d4578f4bdac.png

I have never called nor threatened to leave.  They literally just gave it to me.  Second year in a row.  Last year it was sans Redzone.  This year is with Redzone.  I have been a DTV customer since 1991 so maybe it's a loyalty thing.  Maybe the guy who runs DTV is a JA17/Buffalo Bills fan...  Anyway, I'm stoked because I was ready to pay for it.  Hell if I would pay for it during the Whaley/Nix years, I sure as heck was going to pay for it during the McBeane years.

Sure about that 91 thing?

I know we all getting old LOL, but they started in 94. Remember clear as day as that is year I moved in with them girlfriend, now wife. 

I remember my pitch clearly. 

$1200 for the Dish

$ 300 Installation

$38 for cable( illegal for DTV to carry locals then)

Worked out to $62 bucks a game for two years. We spend that on lunch and beers/ drinks at least every game we went to watch at bar, and she had to get up and out of jammies and shower ! 

up went the dish! 

Last year gave up DTV for YouTube TV and streaming Sunday ticket via college email address. Saves me over $1500 a year. Cost of one of my Bills Seasons. Well worth it. 

I pay less now for YouTube TV for 3 households than I paid strictly in hardware fees and insurance to DTV for 1 house. Dead business model. 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Maybe it was your approach.

I haven't paid for Sunday ticket for several years*.  On top of that, I'm usually offered additional credits and programming benefits to retain me as a customer.

There were a few times when I wasn't being given the deal I was looking for and had to try a different CSR at a different time. 

* a couple of years ago, had to upgrade receiver and get Genies.  That came with a 2 year commitment, which took away some negotiating leverage. Had to pay discounted rate for the ticket that year. Well worth it still.

I'm always polite and respectful when dealing with the reps. Frequently getting into (sincere) personal conversations with CSR that ease the business aspect of it.  For some reason, I've had better luck dealing with reps who are stateside - where I think most Customer Retention reps are located.

This year, I didn't even have to ask. I was one of the longtime loyal customers who is automatically receiving the ticket at no cost. 

Even though I don't think DirecTV has been as responsive since AT&T came into the picture, they're generally still better than most company's service departments.  AT&T is no longer running the show.

Maybe you've just been unlucky or could be your demeanor was off-putting to the person on the other end of the line.  Enjoy the 2021 season!

Now, let's watch some Bills' football !!!

No wasn't my approach or anything. Always respectful because you're not going to get anything being an a-hole. Was the same with many family members, friends, and just people I talked to at work that had DTV. Also I have seen many post on this board ppl not happy with DTV. 

At that time they were always about the new customers and not existing ones. 

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

No.  You're probably right.  I moved to MD in '91.  Thought I got it then, but I think it didn't happen until Congress passed the law making dishes available to all regardless of HOA rules.  That was likely a year or two after I moved.  

• Like (+1) 1

I called about 2 weeks ago to inquire about a discount expiring.  Got new discount.  While in the discussion with customer service rep he mentioned that I had been a long time subscriber (year 2 of home version ST).  CSR said that if I've been a customer for that long I should get ST for free.  Volia!!!  No begging, pleading, white lies.

23 minutes ago, wjag said:

No.  You're probably right.  I moved to MD in '91.  Thought I got it then, but I think it didn't happen until Congress passed the law making dishes available to all regardless of HOA rules.  That was likely a year or two after I moved.  

forgot to add she went with me to sports bar in VA while we lived in DC to watch Sabre-Devil 4ot game that spring....the prospect of THAT never happening again made the sales pitch a little easier as well!

My daughter is getting her part time Masters degree and the college she goes to qualifies for the educational price $119 for base ST.

However, she has been trying to sign up for past two weeks and has had technical glitches. They confirm her *.edu address but when she goes to set up the account, the message is that the account is already set up!. If she then proceeds to click on "Forgot password" it says email address is invalid. She has spent 1 hr + 45 minutes on two calls and both times the (incompetent) support person had no clue what is going on and came back with "we currently have technical issues, please try after 2 days".

Does anybody have any such experience or know how to handle this? 

(feel free to point to a relevant post up thread as I have not gone through the entire thread)

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

I called about 2 weeks ago to inquire about a discount expiring.  Got new discount.  While in the discussion with customer service rep he mentioned that I had been a long time subscriber (year 2 of home version ST).  CSR said that if I've been a customer for that long I should get ST for free.  Volia!!!  No begging, pleading, white lies.

Well maybe they are or have recently changed the way they do things. Which might have a little to do with trying to get more/new customers. Because they were frustrating  for a while.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I know we all getting old LOL, but they started in 94. Remember clear as day as that is year I moved in with them girlfriend, now wife. 

I remember my pitch clearly. 

$1200 for the Dish

$ 300 Installation

$38 for cable( illegal for DTV to carry locals then)

Worked out to $62 bucks a game for two years. We spend that on lunch and beers/ drinks at least every game we went to watch at bar, and she had to get up and out of jammies and shower ! 

up went the dish! 

Last year gave up DTV for YouTube TV and streaming Sunday ticket via college email address. Saves me over $1500 a year. Cost of one of my Bills Seasons. Well worth it. 

I pay less now for YouTube TV for 3 households than I paid strictly in hardware fees and insurance to DTV for 1 house. Dead business model. 

Just wanted to add, I can't begin to remember the numerous times I would call to see about different discounts not only for ST, but also other different things only to be told, "that is only for new subscribers". Anyways, maybe they are better now idk

I was shut out in my call this year.  Did my regular song and dance.  Said the reason for the call was to cancel because the bill is too high and started talking about discounts, etc.  Nothing for ST.  I went through the chat route too and was told that I am likely eligible to receive the email that everyone has posted about, but I'll have to wait and see.    

On 8/9/2021 at 9:32 AM, Augie said:

If you’re paying attention, you’ll notice that I posted that only after several people announced they had been given the free season. I’m NOT saying they are lying, as I’m sure they are reporting what actually happened to them. I’m wrong often, but not here as I was just kidding based upon how absurd  this sounds from my experience. It’s an annual game of cat and mouse I prefer not to play. I have never before heard of DTV giving away something that was not even asked for.

I did make a rare run at trying to get a discount last year, only to be shot down. I hate DTV and only have them for Sunday Ticket. Maybe 1-2 times a year my cable goes out and I’m glad to have a backup. 

It’s just not worth it to me to call and beg every year for a discount. You’re welcome. 

EDIT: We live well within our means. We are very frugal by most people’s standards. The DTV ST battle is one I’m just not willing to take on at this time. We all have our hot buttons. 

I can not explain it, but we received an email from Directv that we are receiving the FULL Sunday Ticket at no charge for the second consecutive year.  We have been subscribers since the mid 90's.  The only other thing I can think of is that we switched our cell service from Verizon to AT&T two years ago.  

Well, I’ve decided to get the ST stream via my sister-in-law’s college email. At 1/3 the cost, ($120 for the season or $30 a month) I figured I’d give it a try.

There are a few things that I already don’t love about, and knew ahead of time (thanks to some of you) but we’ll see how it plays out. 

Got the wife’s approval for a temporary second TV in the family room for football season. Here is the plan: 

Sunday Afternoon Bills Games:

Main TV: The Bills obviously

Second:  Red Zone

If No current Bills game:

Main TV: Red Zone

Second: Best match up, divisional game, future opponent, etc. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable