DeSantis For President in 2024?

26 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Actually Joe did run the best campaign in history. He knew the media would lie for him in an entirely unethical way and he allowed it to happen so he could win. Why give your political enemies something to run with when doing nothing is the winning strategy?

When one has all of media, social media, house money, PACS/Charities, and ballot harvesting groups on board, it works great on the current thing folks.

• Like (+1) 2

Unleash the haters !

DeSantis Uninjured in Car Crash En Route to Tennessee Campaign Event

by Ari Blaff 

Flordia Governor Ron DeSantis was involved in a car crash in Tennessee on Tuesday morning while he was on the campaign trail. “This morning, the governor was in a car accident while traveling to an event in Chattanooga, Tennessee,” Bryan Griffin, a spokesman of the governor, said in a public statement released to the press. “He and his team are uninjured.” “We appreciate the prayers and well wishes of the nation for his continued protection while on the campaign trail,” he added.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/desantis-uninjured-in-car-crash-en-route-to-tennessee-campaign-event/

Yeah, but we don't know this guy's credentials', right ?? 

Florida Black history academic shreds Harris' 'categorically false' claims in unaired ABC News interview

by Alexander Hall

An academic who helped craft Florida’s African American history curriculum called out Vice President Kamala Harris for mischaracterizing the course material in interview footage ABC News left on the cutting room floor. The Florida Board of Education recently approved a new curriculum for African American history, with a section on how "slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit" drawing heavy criticism

https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-black-history-academic-shreds-harris-categorically-false-claims-unaired-abc-news-interview

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, B-Man said:

That is a false statement.

Never mind that the election is over 15 months away.  Who knows where Joke will be then?

5 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Actually Joe did run the best campaign in history. He knew the media would lie for him in an entirely unethical way and he allowed it to happen so he could win. Why give your political enemies something to run with when doing nothing is the winning strategy?

Yup.  Just hide in the basement and claim you're going to "shut down [Wuhan] virus."

15 hours ago, Doc said:

Joke has no chance to win re-election either with or without that anchor Kammy as VP again.  There is no wuhan pandemic to lie about anymore.

Biden will have to prove himself truly incapacitated/demented in debates (which honestly may happen) to lose to Trump.  Republicans might lose the presidency for a generation on the abortion debate alone.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Biden will have to prove himself truly incapacitated/demented in debates (which honestly may happen) to lose to Trump.  Republicans might lose the presidency for a generation on the abortion debate alone.

Close. I’m guessing that a lot of it rides on how they answer the question in a debate. 

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

DeSaster

Weird I just paid mine about 10 days ago and it is up only about 40% since 2016, or right about in line with inflation. I am sure insurance is very expensive for people who have million dollar homes along the coastal areas. Insurance in FL will always be expensive because we get hurricanes but I do find your numbers interesting since my home insurance is below the national average but my home value is above the national average 

11 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Weird I just paid mine about 10 days ago and it is up only about 40% since 2016, or right about in line with inflation. I am sure insurance is very expensive for people who have million dollar homes along the coastal areas. Insurance in FL will always be expensive because we get hurricanes but I do find your numbers interesting since my home insurance is below the national average but my home value is above the national average 

More misrepresentations about Florida?  Color me shocked!

1 hour ago, Doc said:

More misrepresentations about Florida?  Color me shocked!

But property insurers are leaving Florida. Why?

They may not be willing to deal with the risk imposed by hurricanes and other weather events. OK. I get it. But the typical response of an insurer to a high risk environment is to charge higher premiums. So are Florida insurance regulators not allowing that to happen? If so, aren't they meddling in the free market? If not, what is the reason?

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

They may not be willing to deal with the risk imposed by hurricanes and other weather events. OK. I get it. But the typical response of an insurer to a high risk environment is to charge higher premiums. So are Florida insurance regulators not allowing that to happen? If so, aren't they meddling in the free market? If not, what is the reason?

Um...that's what they're doing.  DeSantis can't force them to accept lower premiums.

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

Um...that's what they're doing.  DeSantis can't force them to accept lower premiums.

But since he seems to be able to get the Florida legislature to do whatever he wants, it stands to reason that he can get them to fix Florida insurance law so that property insurers can stay in that market and still make money.

Yet ... he doesn't. Why not? Because he doesn't want to be known as the Governor who raised insurance rates?

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

But since he seems to be able to get the Florida legislature to do whatever he wants, it stands to reason that he can get them to fix Florida insurance law so that property insurers can stay in that market and still make money.

Yet ... he doesn't. Why not? Because he doesn't want to be known as the Governor who raised insurance rates?

Oh it "stands to reason"?  LOL!

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The biggest reason that some of the them are leaving is that home insurance is a slow gainer and fast loser in Florida, if you are not writing auto insurance in the state there is not much room for a sustained profit. Secondly the state does require insurance companies to cover certain numbers in each risk pool and the individual companies might not think the investment is worth it. There unfortunately is not an easy answer since the state has exploded in cost over the past two years and the new laws will likely take two years to settle the litigation side down. I am glad I love in Orlando and these issues are lesser than coastal areas.

15 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Secondly the state does require insurance companies to cover certain numbers in each risk pool and the individual companies might not think the investment is worth it.

In other words, government failure. The State of Florida's regulations make it unprofitable or too risky to write property insurance policies. You can fix that, or you can legislate against Disney. Apparently you can't do both at the same time?

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

In other words, government failure. The State of Florida's regulations make it unprofitable or too risky to write property insurance policies. You can fix that, or you can legislate against Disney. Apparently you can't do both at the same time?

Why is that government failure? It has worked in Florida for at least 50 years, and has been done in about half the states for a long time. Home insurance is unfortunately something that does need some govt attention since problems can have a devastating impact on people's lives, currently we are not there. 

3 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Why is that government failure? It has worked in Florida for at least 50 years, and has been done in about half the states for a long time. Home insurance is unfortunately something that does need some govt attention since problems can have a devastating impact on people's lives, currently we are not there. 

It is government failure because an insurance market - which could be profitable despite tropical storm risk - is in turmoil. And it is not profitable because government regulation doesn't allow the companies to charge a premium sufficient to protect against risk. In those situations, the government needs to fix the regulatory structure.

40 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It is government failure because an insurance market - which could be profitable despite tropical storm risk - is in turmoil. And it is not profitable because government regulation doesn't allow the companies to charge a premium sufficient to protect against risk. In those situations, the government needs to fix the regulatory structure.

A market in turmoil is a sign of government failure? It happens all the time but I also noticed your standard for turmoil seems to vary in regards to who is the political winner. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

A market in turmoil is a sign of government failure? It happens all the time but I also noticed your standard for turmoil seems to vary in regards to who is the political winner. 

No. California has similar problems. A market failure there too. Markets typically don't fail by themselves. Bad policy is the usual culprit.

Gavin Newsom isn't running for President (yet). Ron DeSantis is (for a little bit longer)

Edited by The Frankish Reich

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

No. California has similar problems. A market failure there too. Markets typically don't fail by themselves. Bad policy is the usual culprit.

Gavin Newsom isn't running for President (yet). Ron DeSantis is (for a little bit longer)

Now you are approaching lying. The market is definitely not a failure. The market is having issues  because the guidelines in place do not have room for a 100% increase in value of homes over 3 years in many part of FL. What state do you live in?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Orlando Tim said:

The market is having issues  because the guidelines in place do not have room for a 100% increase in value of homes over 3 years in many part of FL.

And the guidelines are ... GOVERNMENT guidelines, right?

If there were no such guidelines or better guidelines, insurers would raise premiums commensurate with increased risk (a totaled home now results in a million dollar claim rather than a half million dollar claim) and they'd stay in the market.

I hope you don't teach economics.

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

And the guidelines are ... GOVERNMENT guidelines, right?

If there were no such guidelines or better guidelines, insurers would raise premiums commensurate with increased risk (a totaled home now results in a million dollar claim rather than a half million dollar claim) and they'd stay in the market.

I hope you don't teach economics.

What state do you live in?

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Colorado. Why?

Before I became a teacher I spent 6 years working in insurance all over the country. While my information is dated since I have not been on the road for more than decade but I was hoping you lived in one of the bad states for insurance.  CO was actually pretty well run at the state level. But due to the state being required to make sure insurance companies can pay claims, have the infrastructure to handle a large number of claims, along with multiple other major considerations the state has an interest in ensuring the companies are living up to the proper standard. It is not like small companies can be allowed to be insurance companies.

16 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Before I became a teacher I spent 6 years working in insurance all over the country. While my information is dated since I have not been on the road for more than decade but I was hoping you lived in one of the bad states for insurance.  CO was actually pretty well run at the state level. But due to the state being required to make sure insurance companies can pay claims, have the infrastructure to handle a large number of claims, along with multiple other major considerations the state has an interest in ensuring the companies are living up to the proper standard. It is not like small companies can be allowed to be insurance companies.

I get it. Thanks for the info.

My point, of course, is a more general one. A libertarian one I guess. When you see companies abandoning a market where money can be made, there's generally a reason to be found in looking at the state/city's legal/regulatory structure. 

16 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I get it. Thanks for the info.

My point, of course, is a more general one. A libertarian one I guess. When you see companies abandoning a market where money can be made, there's generally a reason to be found in looking at the state/city's legal/regulatory structure. 

I would generally agree with you, but govt is far too involved, much of it for good reason, to have simple fixes. The ability to have reserved is huge and that alone cause issues that most intelligent and business savvy people have issues understanding. I will tell one story of the mess that happened to me in Washington while working for one of the companies I assure you that you  know. Insured homeowner was allowed to under insure home because state did not get involved in how insurance funding was set. After my inspection I recommended an increase in coverage by over 300% based on cost of house. Homeowner had entire policy cancelled and not coverage for claim for fraud since information given was clearly fraudulent. Insured had apparently had an extension on home that was larger than initial house. My point is that planning for normal craziness is difficult, what has happened in FL since 2020 is impossible 

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m in Florida for work stuff this week - holy ***** do these people love Desantis. Cab drivers, servers, Uber drivers, bartenders, corporate leaders, generally anyone you encounter that is working. They all have their different reasons but it has been consistent and overt. 

Which part of FL are you in? The DeSantis love is pretty universal except for the people who are professionally aggrieved.

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m in Florida for work stuff this week - holy ***** do these people love Desantis. Cab drivers, servers, Uber drivers, bartenders, corporate leaders, generally anyone you encounter that is working. They all have their different reasons but it has been consistent and overt. 

No surprise, I'm not a DeSantis fan. Actually, I would be a fan of what I think DeSantis would be without Trump in his head all the time, with DeSantis trying to out-Trump the OG.

But I will admit: this counts for something. If you are the governor of a state and the people of that state overwhelmingly support you, that says something.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Coco beach /Orlando (didn’t speak to any Disney employees 😂)

Many Disney employees like him because they think Disney was going too far but they could not find another place that paid as well for their skill sets. If you are a brewery guy Hourglass is on the east side of town and Gatlin Hall is nearby, both personal favorites.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Glad to hear we share a hatred of Bud Light. For whatever reason or reasons.

Even when free I am unlikely to drink a Bud/Bud Light and have been like that for about a decade. Too many good beers out there. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Here we go!

This explains Trump’s ridiculous attacks on DeSantis the last week.  

I honestly don't know how all these polls work...but I'm wondering where are all these other news places (including independent Conservative media) are getting this stuff from during the last week when they were putting up headlines saying Vivek was basically tied with DeSantis for 2nd? Is what they do completely different than what these guys do?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Too close.

If the GOP doesn't win by at least 5% then the democrat after-midnight wave will take it back.

So you're an election denier as well?  Good stuff.  I shouldn't be surprised, given your susceptibility to MAGA hoaxes. 

• Like (+1) 1

nice op ed on the education law in the NYT

language isn’t quite the same. In addition to using the term “enslaved” rather than “slave” — a linguistic shift that continues to be a subject of real debate — the language for the A.P. curriculum emphasizes that Black Americans could only use these skills after Emancipation.

This is key. Slaves were owned as chattel by other human beings who stole their freedom, labor and bodily autonomy. To say that any more than a fortunate few could “parlay” their skills into anything that might improve their lives is to spin a fiction. Just as important is the fact that a large majority of the Africans enslaved in North America, whether under the British Crown for the better part of two centuries or under the American Constitution for eight decades after the revolution, died in bondage. For them, there was no point after slavery where they could use their skills.

You might say that these are minor, semantic differences. But in history the same ideas can be used to very different effect. And it is exactly these questions of wording and emphasis that mark one of the differences between a modern, more truthful depiction of American slavery and an older, tendentious approach that either de-emphasized or ignored outright the basic injustice of human bondage in favor of a gloss that placed a more pleasant sheen on an otherwise horrific institution.

we used to like the "The Ravenous Pig" near Orlando for unusual gourmet food but lastvisit was disappointing for both food and service and we don't plan on going back to Fla...

• Like (+1) 1