DeSantis For President in 2024?

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

In addition to using the term “enslaved” rather than “slave”

I see why people advocate for this new usage, but I'm not convinced that it is something to worry about.

I will note that many of the same people who are outraged (as well they should be) about sex trafficking seem o.k. about downplaying the systematic, state-sponsored trafficking of human beings in our history, even when that trafficking also included the rape of many women and girls by their "owners."

I've tried to point this out. Would anyone dream of saying, "Although modern child sex trafficking is horrific, some trafficked children ultimately benefited from being taken away from starvation, war, and disease to the United States, where they were able to use their survival skills to succeed in a land of abundance and freedom"

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I like to look at the betting odds for elections.  They've been quite predictive recently, there's real money on the line and the incentive isn't political but financial

https://www.oddschecker.com/us/politics/us-politics

I like how Newsom is the 4th favorite, just a tick more probable than DeSantis! And also well above Kamala.

I've got a trip to the UK coming up in a bit. Maybe I should put some money on him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/27/2023 at 12:59 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m in Florida for work stuff this week - holy ***** do these people love Desantis. Cab drivers, servers, Uber drivers, bartenders, corporate leaders, generally anyone you encounter that is working. They all have their different reasons but it has been consistent and overt. 

seems you didn't run into any of these folks

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/10/25/opinion/focusgroup-democrats-republicans-florida-desantis.html

last I knew, there were still some D's living in Fla.

4 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

seems you didn't run into any of these folks

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/10/25/opinion/focusgroup-democrats-republicans-florida-desantis.html

last I knew, there were still some D's living in Fla.

As noted, these were specifically people that were working or in business. 

I’m sure the found some of those ‘educated’ 😂 gender studies grads under A bridge or at the local welfare office to get some democrat love…. 

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

As noted, these were specifically people that were working or in business. 

I’m sure the found some of those ‘educated’ 😂 gender studies grads under A bridge or at the local welfare office to get some democrat love…. 

Just another R lie...why do you 
MAGA's dislike truth so much.

https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/data-statistics/voter-registration-statistics/voter-registration-reports/voter-registration-by-party-affiliation/

and this

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/622494-florida-voters-still-like-ron-desantis-as-governor-and-side-with-him-over-disney/#:~:text=About 54% of voters say,%%2C say they strongly approve.

Edited by redtail hawk

Absolutely incredible that there remains those from the center and right who are completely unaware of where we are.

Any republican who occupies the White House will be impeached the moment democrats have the ability to do so. 

Guaranteed.

You do Jesse. The sky in your world isn't green.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I see why people advocate for this new usage, but I'm not convinced that it is something to worry about.

I will note that many of the same people who are outraged (as well they should be) about sex trafficking seem o.k. about downplaying the systematic, state-sponsored trafficking of human beings in our history, even when that trafficking also included the rape of many women and girls by their "owners."

I've tried to point this out. Would anyone dream of saying, "Although modern child sex trafficking is horrific, some trafficked children ultimately benefited from being taken away from starvation, war, and disease to the United States, where they were able to use their survival skills to succeed in a land of abundance and freedom"

LOL!  Who?

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Sometimes the smartest thing to do is to just keep your mouth shut. That was his approach when this little dust-up first hit, but he just couldn't stop himself from commenting and keeping it alive for another news cycle.

You really think ignoring it would have made it go away? 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

You really think ignoring it would have made it go away? 

Yes. It's a rule of politics. Let the news cycle run.

It would come back later (Tim Scott for one will try to keep it alive), but at least DeSantis could get back on track talking about transgenderism and wokism, the #1 issue on 1% of the country's mind according to a recent poll.

Smart guy, stupid campaign.

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Sometimes the smartest thing to do is to just keep your mouth shut. That was his approach when this little dust-up first hit, but he just couldn't stop himself from commenting and keeping it alive for another news cycle.

This is a bad argument. Let the lie fly and just pretend it is not a lie. If someone blatantly  lies you call out the lie, or else you have to do that with all the lies. This is not a mistake, this is intentionally lying to get headlines. 

3 hours ago, BillStime said:

Who are the black people being called out? 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

This is a bad argument. Let the lie fly and just pretend it is not a lie. If someone blatantly  lies you call out the lie, or else you have to do that with all the lies. This is not a mistake, this is intentionally lying to get headlines. 

This is solid gold...

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes. It's a rule of politics. Let the news cycle run.

It would come back later (Tim Scott for one will try to keep it alive), but at least DeSantis could get back on track talking about transgenderism and wokism, the #1 issue on 1% of the country's mind according to a recent poll.

Smart guy, stupid campaign.

You let a news cycle run, lying about something, and say nothing, basically tacitly agreeing with them?  No, that's not how it's done.  He did the right thing by responding and letting everyone know that black educators came up with the curriculum.  And now the news cycle has run its course because Kammy and the like look like idiots.  And Scott (and Byron Donalds, who are both Trump guys), would be wise to say nothing.

This isn't going away...and it shouldn't

https://dnyuz.com/2023/07/28/the-shady-backstory-of-floridas-outrageous-new-slavery-curriculum/

However, three members now claim they were neglected to be informed about Gov. Ron DeSantis’ new mission to restructure how Black history was taught. Instead, a totally different “work group” was quietly formed—and stacked with the Department of Education’s own appointees—to advise on the new standards and pass an agenda.

“It’s the same divide techniques that they used on the plantation,” African American History Task Force member Dr. Donna Austin told The Daily Beast. “It’s the same, identical thing. They always use methods of dividing the African and African American people. That’s what they do.”

Edited by redtail hawk

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

This isn't going away...and it shouldn't

https://dnyuz.com/2023/07/28/the-shady-backstory-of-floridas-outrageous-new-slavery-curriculum/

However, three members now claim they were neglected to be informed about Gov. Ron DeSantis’ new mission to restructure how Black history was taught. Instead, a totally different “work group” was quietly formed—and stacked with the Department of Education’s own appointees—to advise on the new standards and pass an agenda.

“It’s the same divide techniques that they used on the plantation,” African American History Task Force member Dr. Donna Austin told The Daily Beast. “It’s the same, identical thing. They always use methods of dividing the African and African American people. That’s what they do.”

It's already pretty much dead.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

Were you a slave? No? Then stfu 

Honest question: how many times this week have you had descendants of slaves at you home? I have twice, families of my daughter's friends and family of my son's friends. None are bothered by it.

• Shocked 1

37 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Honest question: how many times this week have you had descendants of slaves at you home? I have twice, families of my daughter's friends and family of my son's friends. None are bothered by it.

Ask them how they feel about their family members being treated like cattle and see if they think their ancestors enjoyed the lessons they were forced to learn.

Buffalo Timmy - do you realize you don’t have to defend EVERY DeSantis forced error?

Smarten the f up man 

11 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Ask them how they feel about their family members being treated like cattle and see if they think their ancestors enjoyed the lessons they were forced to learn.

Buffalo Timmy - do you realize you don’t have to defend EVERY DeSantis forced error?

Smarten the f up man 

Doing as requested by a bunch of African American professors is an error? I do notice you can't answer the question I asked.

51 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Doing as requested by a bunch of African American professors is an error? I do notice you can't answer the question I asked.

I don't give two shitz who you're allegedly hanging out with... there was nothing beneficial about slavery. NOTHING.

7 hours ago, BillStime said:

I don't give two shitz who you're allegedly hanging out with... there was nothing beneficial about slavery. NOTHING.

And as Ron desantis very clearly said the slaves learned the other things in spite of slavery.  So we all agree and there is nothing to argue about