EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s not about Niagara Falls being much of a city, it’s that it’s a destination. The Canadian side is already Super Bowl caliber in terms of hotels and attractions.  You spend $1billion on the American side and you’re talking about a world class destination and that stadium would have high profile events year round.  
Put it in Orchard Park and it’s the same thing as current stadium except higher prices for people who were already attending the 10 Bills games per year.  

The Niagara falls themselves are an attraction.. Niagara falls New York the city is not .. city has a ton of problems, with a lot of reasons why they will never go there

Comparing the Canadian side of the falls to Niagara falls New York, is like comparing Beverly hills to Compton 

They will never spend billions there on a football stadium

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I no longer live in WNY but the economics of the whole thing would point to a new stadium being constructed as inexpensively as possible. They already put a bandaid on Rich Stadium a few years ago. It bought them some time as did the lost season of Covid but the clock is ticking again. So….there’s really only one viable option: build the new stadium, outdoors in Orchard Park (I’m guessing akin to Pittsburgh’s stadium), taking advantage of the existing infrastructure and don’t look back. 

But they really need to make some improvements to the game day experience. This year Worcester, Mass opened Polar Park. A new Triple-A downtown stadium for the Worcester Red Sox (or Woo Sox.) I am so blown away by what they did with it. So many simple ideas that are awesome yet no one ever did to that level. For one thing, open concourses where you can see the field while getting concessions. Plus high top tables all along to sit an eat at instead of your seat. They have mini convenience stores where you walk in, grab a beer or soda, or packaged food and check yourself out in no time. Most of the concessions are local Worcester food places like Coney Island Dogs and BT BBQ. Beer gardens for several local breweries, a grass berm with a playground in the outfield where kids can run around.

Not everything is appropriate for football but the idea remains: make the stadium more than a seat and a place to piss. Open it all up so people can mill around. Give them good stuff to spend money on. In general, make it a party to go to a game. It's dumb to only give the club seat buyers an upgraded experience.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

But they really need to make some improvements to the game day experience. This year Worcester, Mass opened Polar park. A new Triple-A park for the Worcester Red Sox (or Woo Sox.) I am so blown away by what they did with. So many simple ideas that are awesome yet no one ever did to that level. For one thing, open concourses where you can see the field while getting concessions. Plus high top tables all along to sit an eat instead of at your seat. They have mini convenience stores where you walk in, grab a beer or soda, or packaged food and check yourself out in no time. Most of the concessions are local Worcester food places like Coney Island Dogs and BT BBQ. Beer gardens for several local breweries, a grass berm with a playground in the outfield where kids can run around.

Not everything is appropriate for football but the idea remains: make the stadium more than a seat and a place to piss. Open it all up so people can mill around. Give them good stuff to spend money on. In general, make it a party to go to a game.

All great ideas! I never said it shouldn’t  be nicely done with amenities important to and relevant to Bills fans…but a retractable roof downtown? I highly doubt it. Buffalo is, has been, and will generally remain a working class town with a working class fan base. 
Go Bills!

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I always liked the idea of re purposing the old Train station. That Art Deco facade, is pretty cool. I don't know what shape the track infrastructure is like these days, but I can imagine a 'Buffalo Bills Express' train bringing fans from across the state, right up to the Stadium.

There used to be a Bills train, I believe @Albany,n.y. took it a few times.  Here's an old article about it...

BILLS SCHEDULE FIVE AMTRAK 'EXPRESS' GAMES | Latest Headlines | buffalonews.com

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Niagara falls themselves are an attraction.. Niagara falls New York the city is not .. it has a lot of bad dangerous parts

Comparing the Canadian side of the falls to Niagara falls New York, is like comparing Beverly hills to Compton 

They will never spend billions there on a football stadium

That’s the only place in WNY that could come close to justifying building a new stadium and the price tag that comes with it.  
Nobody is clamoring for a new stadium in Orchard Park other than the NFL owners.  The Bills aren’t going anywhere.  Pegula and NFL have zero leverage.  The Austin rumor tells you how bad their negotiating position is. Any taxpayer money spent on a new Orchard Park stadium is just asking the current people going to the game to spend more money when the vast majority are happy with current game day experience.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

That’s the only place in WNY that could come close to justifying building a new stadium and the price tag that comes with it.  
Nobody is clamoring for a new stadium in Orchard Park other than the NFL owners.  The Bills aren’t going anywhere.  Pegula and NFL have zero leverage.  The Austin rumor tells you how bad their negotiating position is. Any taxpayer money spent on a new Orchard Park stadium is just asking the current people going to the game to spend more money when the vast majority are happy with current game day experience.  

I don't believe one word from any of those articles about Austin

It's literally all bs

The Buffalo Bills are not going anywhere.. repeat the Buffalo Bills are not going anywhere 

And the bolded is not true.. there's tons of people who wouldn't mind seeing it in orchard Park

At the end of the day there's tons of people who don't care where it goes.. just that it happens eventually 

And smart money says it's just going back in op and there's nothing wrong with that

• Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The city of Santa Clara created the Santa Clara Stadium Authority to construct and own the 49ers stadium. 

It is publicly owned. https://www.santaclaraca.gov/our-city/santa-clara-stadium-authority/leases-and-agreements

The 9ers pay over 2M per month in rent to the Stadium Authority, and are locked in a 40 year lease at 25M per year. 

I thought this was an interesting article.  The 2M per month is a drop in the bucket.

The 49ers have already generated more than $1 billion in revenue from Levi's Stadium

This was back in 2014 before the stadium even opened.

"Each of those nearly 70,000 season-ticket holders will pay a seat license fee ranging from $2,000 to $80,000 - which generated $530 million in revenue, according to the paper. On top of that, the Niners will rake in more than $100 million in ticket sales (prices range from $850 to $3,750) annually."

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-49ers-have-already-generated-more-than-1-billion-in-revenue-from-levi-s-stadium

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't believe one word from any of those articles about Austin

It's literally all bs

The Buffalo Bills are not going anywhere.. repeat the Buffalo Bills are not going anywhere 

And the bolded is not true.. there's tons of people who wouldn't mind seeing it in orchard Park

At the end of the day there's tons of people who don't care where it goes.. just that it happens eventually 

And smart money says it's just going back in op and there's nothing wrong with that

There’s basically zero economic benefit to anyone other than Pegula/NFL to building a new stadium in Orchard Park.  And the Bills aren’t going anywhere so that threat is hollow.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s basically zero economic benefit to anyone other than Pegula/NFL to building a new stadium in Orchard Park.  And the Bills aren’t going anywhere so that threat is hollow.  

There's been studies done that show that new downtown stadiums have no economic impact on the city , compared to the cost 

https://econreview.berkeley.edu/the-economics-of-sports-stadiums-does-public-financing-of-sports-stadiums-create-local-economic-growth-or-just-help-billionaires-improve-their-profit-margin/

Berkeley probably did the biggest study on it, but they all show that there's basically no economic impact 

Buffalo is an art deco , Victorian, Gothic style blue collar rust belt City.. last thing it needs is a billion dollar Palace downtown

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

So his consultancy would be a party - or rather a facilitator - to the Bills coming to take over the Austin portion of his own Cowboys market.  How does this make sense to people?

I'm not saying he wants them in Austin. I'm saying he will not stop until he gets a new stadium for the Bills.

If that means they have to move so he can get what he wants, so be it. 

Jerry Jones wants a new stadium for the Bills more than Terry Pegula does. No doubt about it. 

Is the current stadium falling apart?

I've been there over a hundred times but not in many years. I know they did some upgrades and improvements a little while ago but haven't seen it. 

Building a new stadium at the current site doesn't make economic sense to me unless the old one is no longer usable.

How much added economic benefit could a new stadium generate in the same location? 1.5 Billion dollars of taxpayer money spent with little return when the current stadium is fully functioning and sells out every game? Doesn't seem like a great investment for taxpayers to me, especially non football fans; what are they getting for their money? It could be a tough sell. Also, I think they are making a mistake by threatening to move. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/1/2021 at 5:04 PM, The Wiz said:

Well, you're already wrong. 

He can't go a day without taking about the Mets for 15 minutes and Lamar for another 20.

He can't go a day without taking about the Mets for 15 minutes and Lamar for another 20.

Well, you can say that again! 🧐

11 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Is the current stadium falling apart?

I've been there over a hundred times but not in many years. I know they did some upgrades and improvements a little while ago but haven't seen it. 

Building a new stadium at the current site doesn't make economic sense to me unless the old one is no longer usable.

How much added economic benefit could a new stadium generate in the same location? 1.5 Billion dollars of taxpayer money spent with little return when the current stadium is fully functioning and sells out every game? Doesn't seem like a great investment for taxpayers to me, especially non football fans; what are they getting for their money? It could be a tough sell. Also, I think they are making a mistake by threatening to move. 

The current stadium is perfectly fine and operational. In terms of overall quality it is (and has been for a while) near the bottom for NFL teams. 

I can understand why ownership and the NFL would push for a new stadium, but it's not really NEEDED. 

Edited by DabillsDaBillsDaBills
typo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

There's been studies done that show that new downtown stadiums have no economic impact on the city , compared to the cost 

https://econreview.berkeley.edu/the-economics-of-sports-stadiums-does-public-financing-of-sports-stadiums-create-local-economic-growth-or-just-help-billionaires-improve-their-profit-margin/

Berkeley probably did the biggest study on it, but they all show that there's basically no economic impact 

Buffalo is an art deco , Victorian, Gothic style blue collar rust belt City.. last thing it needs is a billion dollar Palace downtown

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/19/business/sports-arena-development.html

There is other data that says it does. IMO this is related to trends and a lot of factors come into play. I feel Buffalo is a place where a downtown Stadium would work.

Depends also very much on the downtown and the infrastructure around it.  

4 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/19/business/sports-arena-development.html

There is other data that says it does. IMO this is related to trends and a lot of factors come into play. I feel Buffalo is a place where a downtown Stadium would work.

Depends also very much on the downtown and the infrastructure around it.  

It could work anywhere 

It wouldn't bring in lots of new money to the city.. for every 1 that says it's brings money , there's 10 that counter it 

It wouldn't bring any type of revitalization that isn't already occuring

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It could work anywhere 

It wouldn't bring in lots of new money to the city.. for every 1 that says it's brings money , there's 10 that counter it 

It wouldn't bring any type of revitalization that isn't already occuring

Agreed when it comes to Buffalo.  Put it in Niagara Falls with some nice hotels and with the Canada side, you have a venue that could land a super bowl and compete for a lot of high level events.  
Every new stadium built in the last 15 years came with the promise of a super bowl.  That should be the barometer on whether a new stadium is worth throwing tax dollars at.  If NFL won’t commit to hosting super bowl there, don’t put taxpayer money into it.  

• Like (+1) 1