Critical Race Theory

Sen. Josh Hawley Calls Critical Race Theory ‘State Sanctioned Racism’.

hes-right-you-know.jpg.fee450fd0eb6268ed

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/06/sen-josh-hawley-calls-critical-race-theory-state-sanctioned-racism/

I thought they weren't teaching it ?

GOOD: Iowa Teacher Loses Her Mind Because She Can’t Teach CRT Anymore.

They're not "your kids"

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/megan-fox/2021/06/23/watch-texas-teacher-loses-her-mind-online-because-she-cant-teach-divisive-political-indoctrination-anymore-n1456733

afb062421dAPR20210624044504.jpg

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

rashida-tlaib-ap-2.jpg

Rashida Tlaib explains that ‘opposition to Critical Race Theory is obviously rooted in racism,’ you racist dog whistlers

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/06/24/rashida-tlaib-explains-that-opposition-to-critical-race-theory-is-obviously-rooted-in-racism-you-racist-dog-whistlers/

I'm pretty sure that teaching people that one group of people, are systematically racist and oppressive... 

Is racist an oppressive in and of itself

• Agree 1

In the debate over the teaching of Critical Race Theory (CRT) in America’s classrooms, the left seems to be relying on two arguments: Critics of the theory don’t know what it is, and teachers are not teaching the theory to their students. The former is debatable, but this story demonstrates that the latter is not.

More than 4,000 teachers have signed a pledge to inject their lessons with elements of CRT even if their states ban the teaching. The pledge was created by the Zinn Education Project, which, according to its website, “promotes and supports the teaching of people’s history in classrooms across the country.”

Also from the organization’s website:

Our website offers free, downloadable lessons and articles organized by theme, time period, and grade level. Based on the approach to history highlighted in Howard Zinn’s best-selling book A People’s History of the United States, our teaching materials emphasize the role of working people, women, people of color, and organized social movements in shaping history.

If you are not familiar with historian Howard Zinn, he is the author of “The People’s History of the United States,” which tells a rather bleak version of American history. While some of his findings were accurate, many have taken issue with inaccuracies that have been popularized by the book.

On its website, the organization claims that “Lawmakers in at least 21 states are attempting to pass legislation that would require teachers to lie to students about the role of racism, sexism, heterosexism, and oppression throughout U.S. history.”

The group claims that states seeking to ban the teachings of CRT “aim to prohibit teachers from teaching the truth about this country: It was founded on dispossession of Native Americans, slavery, structural racism and oppressions; and structural racism is a defining characteristic of our society today.”

{snip}

The arguments that the Zinn Project brought up are part of the hard left’s contention that people who criticize CRT don’t know what it is. Because of this presumption, they seem to believe they can convince the public that Critical Race Theory is nothing more than teaching history. Thus, many have argued that the bills that would ban the theory would prevent teachers from teaching about America’s history of racism, especially as it pertains to slavery, Jim Crow, and other topics.

However, this claim is not entirely accurate. Those wishing to teach this form of woke theology borrow concepts from CRT and other schools of thought and inject them into their teaching. To put it simply, they are not teaching CRT per se, but they are taking components of the theory and infusing it into their lessons.

An example would be teachers who are giving their students lessons in which they are grouped into categories of “privileged,” “oppressors,” and “oppressed.” It is a blatant attempt to demean both white and black students due to the color of their skin. It is evident that there are far better ways to teach kids about these issues that don’t involve labeling them in a way that is disempowering.

Moreover, the existence of this pledge gives the lie to the notion that teachers are not teaching CRT in their classrooms. While the majority of educators do not seem to be engaging in this conduct, it is abundantly clear that many are, which is why the backlash against it is warranted for the most part.

The hard leftists defending CRT are relying on blatant untruths to do so. The question is: Will America see through it?

https://redstate.com/jeffc/2021/06/24/defenders-of-critical-race-theory-are-dishonest-lying-liars-who-want-to-deceive-america-n401930

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

rashida-tlaib-ap-2.jpg

Rashida Tlaib explains that ‘opposition to Critical Race Theory is obviously rooted in racism,’ you racist dog whistlers

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/06/24/rashida-tlaib-explains-that-opposition-to-critical-race-theory-is-obviously-rooted-in-racism-you-racist-dog-whistlers/

She's projecting.  And clearly playing defense with that flimsy explanation.  And on top of its she's plain ugly..

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillStime said:

Critical Race Theory isn’t the problem, it’s the people who are afraid of it.

None of us are afraid of the theory.  You don’t get it do you?

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You make a few nice points here. I’ve listened to Ben as he tends to be what I look for highly intelligent and attempts to build argument with facts.  He’s is even more entertaining if you listen to his podcast at 1.5x speed for efficiency. 

while I disagree with a number of his views. I do like he isn’t R 100% party line, ie, very pro vaccination, liked Yang for NYC. 

Who would you recommend as a counter podcaster to him, that has opposing view points but argues the liberal perspective in the same 

Tbh, I don't really listen too much to the talking heads.  I used to be a big watcher of the Sunday morning news shows but I usually prefer sleeping in lol.  

While he isn't really on the same level/does the same line of work, one commentator I enjoy listening to is Bill Maher as well as the people he interviews on his show.  I don't have HBO, but he provides clips of key commentary on his YouTube page (and probably other social media as well).  

If you can get past his a-hole-ish demeanor, the reason why I like him is because he is a liberal and he generally doesn't ignore common sense.  

He ends his New Rule segment with a monologue and these clips are where you will often see him call out the left when he sees something as unreasonable.  Here's a recent one that's a pretty decent example:  

• Like (+1) 1

Again.

Those wishing to teach this form of woke theology borrow concepts from CRT and other schools of thought and inject them into their teaching. To put it simply, they are not teaching CRT per se, but they are taking components of the theory and infusing it into their lessons.

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

rashida-tlaib-ap-2.jpg

I thought that it was any opposition to the opposition of CRT was racist...😉

Anyone who labels an entire race of people as oppressors, is racist... if you’re judging people on their identity group instead of their individuality, that is the definition of racism...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

One of the maint tenants of the theory, the nearly 50 year old theory, is that the law enforcement and judicial systems are inherently racist.  It, from what I’ve read, provides little evidence that it’s true other than more blacks found themselves in the backs of police cars, in front of judges and behind bars than PONC.  Where are the smoking guns? The memos, the emails the recorded conversations that would have the proof.  They’ve had almost half a century to roll out the facts.  

Again I’m not afraid of the theory of critical race.  Nor am I afraid of the theory of relativity.  That’s not my concern.   

17 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

One of the maint tenants of the theory, the nearly 50 year old theory, is that the law enforcement and judicial systems are inherently racist.  It, from what I’ve read, provides little evidence that it’s true other than more blacks found themselves in the backs of police cars, in front of judges and behind bars than PONC.  Where are the smoking guns? The memos, the emails the recorded conversations that would have the proof.  They’ve had almost half a century to roll out the facts.  

Again I’m not afraid of the theory of critical race.  Nor am I afraid of the theory of relativity.  That’s not my concern.   

So Chef Jim....if that's what you think it's about then what comes next?  What do you think this is really all about?  I cannot possibly be that it ends with 'criminal justice reform'.  You're a smart Chef.  I know you don't believe that.

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So Chef Jim....if that's what you think it's about then what comes next?  What do you think this is really all about?  I cannot possibly be that it ends with 'criminal justice reform'.  You're a smart Chef.  I know you don't believe that.

Excuse me?  What are you going on about? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

What makes you think I believe it is? 

Because I pop on here now and again and read pages and pages of folks turning themselves in knots trying to combat this nonsense, as if that's what the promoters of this 'theory' actually believe or have in mind.  This has very little if anything do with race, and as long as they control the dialogue (and the 'arguments' against it) they are winning.  

Edited by SoCal Deek

On 6/24/2021 at 2:04 AM, Capco said:

Oh hey look.  Another 2 pages of Rah-Rah shouting (I'm too tired to go into specifics rn but I have been watching this thread).

@Tiberius I tried to give you a quick run-down of what I objectively thought were serious flaws in the structure of Critical Race Theory (CRT) while avoiding a full-flung description of the entire thing (since idk, you seem to be on a major time crunch maybe?).  

Considering that we are typically on the same side of things, I figured that you would give me the benefit of the doubt when it came to the parts of CRT that I did not comment on (i.e., the parts that are worthy of merit). 

But that is specifically why I quoted you at the very beginning of my statement, after you said you didn't know anything about CRT.  I was trying to loosely educate you (within the realm of what I myself know), while also challenging your rational thought.  

Like, I'm begging for someone to actually provide a rational response to my post earlier.  I want to learn more.  

So far, the best, most well-written commentary provided after my post was provided by Ben ***** Shapiro. 

Do you have any idea what that makes me feel like as someone who is routinely called a communist?

If it is bad history, then it will not stand the test of rigorous scrutiny. This is a good debate to have for the country. And history being what it is there is of course going to be disagreements about how to present the past. African Americans and Native Americans are of course going to see things differently from those that benefited so much from this country. And no group of people (White, black or whatever) are going to agree among themselves. Like they say about historical events, there is no one history of say, the Battle of Gettysburg, there are thousands, as each person there and later those that studied it all saw and felt different things. 

And yes, I am not totally into the debate here, life calls! So sorry if I missed something you posted or stated. 

Damn you all-Pro for breaking up 9 in a row. I've gotten 11 before from B-Man but still 9 is an above average moment. Doc and BillsTime you really got in the way of excellence. We could have had a new record. Work with me people! Support the spamming of PPP!

This does not violate the TOS. @SDS is a huge fan of the PPP board and supports efforts like B-Man's to spam the board with pastes from other sites. Let's see who can top B-Man's 11 in a row.

We can do this. YES THIS IS A CAMPAIGN! 

image.thumb.png.f0502e93209b52dc384a83c880dfc178.png

image.thumb.png.408a006a82561a7ac9e02ac8b81e6f3d.png

Edited by John Adams

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

If it is bad history, then it will not stand the test of rigorous scrutiny. This is a good debate to have for the country. And history being what it is there is of course going to be disagreements about how to present the past. African Americans and Native Americans are of course going to see things differently from those that benefited so much from this country. And no group of people (White, black or whatever) are going to agree among themselves. Like they say about historical events, there is no one history of say, the Battle of Gettysburg, there are thousands, as each person there and later those that studied it all saw and felt different things. 

And yes, I am not totally into the debate here, life calls! So sorry if I missed something you posted or stated. 

The 'talking past each other' continues in full force.  The concern is not about teaching history.  The concern is if/when taught as they'd like, what do the proponents of CRT want anyone to do with this new found 'enlightenment'? Care to offer a theory about that?

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

I believe in accurate teaching of history not CRT from what little I know about it.

And you don't believe that children today are being taught that black people were historically treated badly?  Of course they are!  The issue is that CRT doesn't stop there.  I'm sorry, but this is not about an accurate account of history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Let me just focus on one specific part then.

Why does an accurate, thorough accounting of history require examining it through a lens that challenges and critiques concepts like legal equality, colorblindness, role modeling, and the merit principle?  I ask because that is (part of) CRT.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

#CHINUHSTRONG

GOP is mad that the left is over-using government authority, so it flexes some government authority. Simply genius.

PA following Florida's lead here. Now if only the GOP could get rid of those pesky elections. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, John Adams said:

GOP is mad that the left is over-using government authority, so it flexes some government authority. Simply genius.

PA following Florida's lead here. Now if only the GOP could get rid of those pesky elections. 

But don't you DARE touch the second amendment but the GQP can trample all over the first amendment and voting rights.

Fthem 

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

But don't you DARE touch the second amendment but the GQP can trample all over the first amendment and voting rights.

Fthem 

How is asking for photo ID to vote trampling on voting right? 

You need an ID to buy beer, cigarettes, go to a strip club

For the safety of our country, I think it's pretty straightforward why ID to vote is a good idea.. 

Only legal citizens can vote.. that's how you could find out if they're legal citizens

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

Fthem 

FU

You only have the ‘right’ to vote if you can PROVE you have the right to vote and have only exercised that right once per election ....period.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Capco said:

Let me just focus on one specific part then.

Why does an accurate, thorough accounting of history require examining it through a lens that challenges and critiques concepts like legal equality, colorblindness, role modeling, and the merit principle?  I ask because that is (part of) CRT.

For the same reason that you need to examine Climate Change through the lens of Feminism...

This really didn’t go very well.

So if attacks on Biden’s successful vaccination response and the “big lie” are not helping them sway voters, how is the GOP’s latest made-up controversy, critical race theory, working out? For starters, most voters do not know what Republicans are yammering about. The Politico-Morning Consult poll found that 19 percent have a favorable view of critical race theory, and 52 percent admit they either do not have an opinion or have never heard of it. Fewer than 30 percent have a negative or somewhat negative view of the obscure academic theory. Even among Republicans and Republican-leaners, 44 percent have no opinion or never heard of it.

So he’s saying that whites are still the oppressors. 

Pat Robertson says critical race theory is "a monstrous evil" that is urging people of color to "rise up and overtake their oppressors" so that once they've "gotten the whip handle," they'll then "instruct their white neighbors how to behave." 

13 minutes ago, Governor said:

So he’s saying that whites are still the oppressors. 

Pat Robertson says critical race theory is "a monstrous evil" that is urging people of color to "rise up and overtake their oppressors" so that once they've "gotten the whip handle," they'll then "instruct their white neighbors how to behave." 

As someone who’s sat through the content, most parents don’t know about it because it’s only being introduced beyond universities, in public schools and corporate environments where diversity and inclusion are in overhaul. That presents the optics of deliberately aiming for children at a vulnerable level.  In the corporate outing I attended, I came away completely convinced the theory is flawed and destructive, as it was delivered to my entire team.  I cannot begin to fathom a child wrapping their heads around such content, no matter how well it’s delivered.  And I say this being a registered Dem, although I’m admittedly moderate.  I’ll also say that seeing how grossly it’s being misrepresented by the media and even people I personally voted for, it’s made me operate with a much higher level of scrutiny over where I get my information, which I recommend to everyone.  There’s awful stuff being reported from both sides, that is baseless.  But yea, CRT is no bueno!  

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

As someone who’s sat through the content, most parents don’t know about it because it’s only being introduced beyond universities, in public schools and corporate environments where diversity and inclusion are in overhaul. That presents the optics of deliberately aiming for children at a vulnerable level.  In the corporate outing I attended, I came away completely convinced the theory is flawed and destructive, as it was delivered to my entire team.  I cannot begin to fathom a child wrapping their heads around such content, no matter how well it’s delivered.  And I say this being a registered Dem, although I’m admittedly moderate.  I’ll also say that seeing how grossly it’s being misrepresented by the media and even people I personally voted for, it’s made me operate with a much higher level of scrutiny over where I get my information, which I recommend to everyone.  There’s awful stuff being reported from both sides, that is baseless.  But yea, CRT is no bueno!  

I don’t think I have a say in it whatsoever. It’s not my place. I’m the oppressor, not the oppressed. It’s not up to me how it’s delivered. If that’s how people view it and the information is historically and factually correct, I don’t have any problems with it. It’s above my pay grade to make those decisions. 

The country has an ugly history and it obviously did great harm by white-washing it all of these years.

I’ve only read the parts that discuss economic impacts so far.