Can Patriots challenge with run first offense this year?

18 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

If their defense is really really good they can use a run heavy scheme.  If not they won’t win many games 

We’ve been trying to make the playoffs that way for the last 20 years , we’ve had a top running game and a top 5 defense and still couldn’t win 10 games 

9 hours ago, BTB said:

Running game aside, I still think Mac Jones starts opening week, and the Pats make the playoffs. 

Cam is a joke of a QB, and I would bet the house that BB does not go with him as #1 this year.  In fact, I don’t even know why BB re-signed him after last years performance. 

I doubt the Pats make the playoffs, but I agree that there’s no way Belichick rolls Cam Newton out there for another season; he was putrid.  It’s Mack Jones’s job to lose.

I think for a strong running game to contribute to a Super Bowl run and win, the QB has to have a level of competence.  And, of course other areas of the team must contribute as well.  Tennessee is dangerous not just because they have Derrick Henry, but because Ryan Tannehill is a competent QB.  At times Tennessee has also had a solid defense.  Even with all of that, only two teams can make it to the Super Bowl in a given year, and only one can win it.  

They were competitive last year and completely upgraded the roster, 7-9 is the floor for them.  I think they are a threat.  It's probably going to come down to key injuries and who has the roster depth, schemes, and luck to cover for it.  If Cam goes down, they may not skip a beat.  If Josh goes down, we're not looking good.  

21 hours ago, WideNine said:

Agree.

Cleveland stayed committed to running throughout the season.

Tennessee you know your going to get a steady dose of Henry.

And Baltimore is a predominantly read option run team.

Running the ball effectively still works to milk the clock, keep a good defense fresh, and keep opposing offenses off the field...

The rules have progressively made passing easier, but a commitment to running is not just about milking a lead at the end. 

Idk, Cleveland was pretty close to beating the Chiefs.  

• Agree 1

As far as the Patriots are concerned, Cam Newton is no longer a competent QB, unless he proves otherwise.  Mac Jones has proven  nothing in the NFL yet either.  I suspect he'll go through the typical growing pains of a rookie.  I know he's smart, but while the SEC is good, Georgia's defense is not an NFL defense.  I don't think the Patriots are a serious threat to take the division crown back from Buffalo this year.  Who knows what 2022 will bring.

On 5/7/2021 at 11:25 PM, joey greco said:

You can make the playoffs but can't win the Super Bowl with a run first or smashmouth offense.  It's a relic of a dead era, the rules advantage passing offenses, and if that cheating ***** wants to go 9 and 7 for the rest of eternity he's on the right track, ***** him, ***** his cheating ass, ***** the pats, the end, god bless.

You are certainly an expert at, and 100% qualified to comment about "cheaters!!!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Greco

• Haha (+1) 2

NE's defense will be exceptional this season if they can avoid the injury bug.That will allow them to stay close even against great teams. The offense is still lacking at QB, but there is more talent. Their OL is pretty solid, so they will have success running the ball. I expect them to mount a strong challenge.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, TBBills said:

The only thing that matters was last season. Get out of the past.

Oh FFS 😣 that is one of THE most ridiculous and asinine statements I've ever heard. Time & time again people who refuse to learn from the past become doomed to repeat it (cliché, yet true.) When a team kicks your *** for the last 20 years it's kind of hard to not have a bit of PTSD. Unlike you, I'm sure McDermott doesn't take them lightly. The moment u underestimate an opponent, you're beat.

And if not for beautifully timed FF by Justin Zimmer in the red zone, things might've went a different way in the 1st matchup. It's going to be tough sweeping the Pats 2 years in a row. Since joining the Patriots, Belichick has never had back-to-back losing seasons. Now if u wanna attribute that to Brady then we can argue about the chicken vs. the Egg too. Anyway, thanks for the downvote! I would've preferred a well thought-out response longer than a sentence, but maybe that's too much to ask these days. 🙃 Cheers!

• Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Oh FFS 😣 that is one of THE most ridiculous and asinine statements I've ever heard. Time & time again people who refuse to learn from the past become doomed to repeat it (cliché, yet true.) When a team kicks your *** for the last 20 years it's kind of hard to not have a bit of PTSD. Unlike you, I'm sure McDermott doesn't take them lightly. The moment u underestimate an opponent, you're beat.

And if not for beautifully timed FF by Justin Zimmer in the red zone, things might've went a different way in the 1st matchup. It's going to be tough sweeping the Pats 2 years in a row. Since joining the Patriots, Belichick has never had back-to-back losing seasons. Now if u wanna attribute that to Brady then we can argue about the chicken vs. the Egg too. Anyway, thanks for the downvote! I would've preferred a well thought-out response longer than a sentence, but maybe that's too much to ask these days. 🙃 Cheers!

Never seen someone who is supposed Bills fan want to believe in the Patriots so much. Belichick never had back-to-back seasons with no Tom Brady. Before he had Tom he had plenty of losing seasons.

It proved true he isn't as good as Tom made him look. Bad drafting and bad spending on bad FA's caught up with him.

Edited by TBBills
  • Dislike 1

20 hours ago, TBBills said:

Patriots should work on getting above .500 before people really start to care if they are back again

The avg point differential between NE and their opponents was only 1.7.

Their blowout of the chargers certainly skews that a bit, but they beat the Jest twice and split with Miami.

It's going to take more than a one-season beat-down before I feel like we can think past NE on our schedule.

I am cautiously optimistic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, TBBills said:

Never seen someone who is supposed Bills fan want to believe in the Patriots so much. Belichick never had back-to-back seasons with no Tom Brady. Before he had Tom he had plenty of losing seasons.

It proved true he isn't as good as Tom made him look. Bad drafting and bad spending on bad FA's caught up with him.

Tom Brady isn't single-handedly responsible for all of their titles. Actually, they weren't really a perennial top offense until the late 2000s. The first couple Superbowl wins were primarily because of a great defense/special teams with Brady as a game-manager. Football is a TEAM game. If it was all on the QB then we would see guys like Dan Marino with 5 rings.

Belichick is a great coach. How can you deny this? Year after year he's adapted and evolved his offensive/defensive philosophy to fit the strengths of his team. Over 13 offensive & def coordinators under him went on to become head coaches. 

And for you to question my fandom = BS. I don't "believe" in the Patriots. I'm just being cautious because I've learned the hard way from rocking Rose colored glasses and drinking the red & blue Kool aid. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

I guess that the question at hand is "Should I fear the Patriots*"? The answer is that I do fear the Patriots*- but it is not like I feared them when Brady was on the team. I fear the Patriots* because this is the NFL, all teams are filled with world class athletes & with proper coaching, management, and some breaks could make a run at it (well, probably except the Jets, Jags, & Texans). When Brady was in NE it felt hopeless. Now I don't worry more about the Pat's than most other potential rivals. And oh yeah - f*** the Pats* - I hope they fail spectacularly!

I'm just happy to finally be on the side with the great QB. For so many years we tried to win the same way that BB is trying to win now and we would always fall flat on our faces while NE and Brady would always make the playoffs and be in the title hunt every year.

Get a lead, play our gaps fits and eventually scheme up a strategy to slow down the TE and we should be ok

19 hours ago, mannc said:

I doubt the Pats make the playoffs, but I agree that there’s no way Belichick rolls Cam Newton out there for another season; he was putrid.  It’s Mack Jones’s job to lose.

I dunno. I think they can compete for a playoff spot for sure. 

Unless MJ really shows something early, I believe Cam will get the nod. However, as you said, some more of that putrid play and to the bench he goes. The leash ought to be short. I suspect fans will be impatient and demanding change sooner than BB.