Draft grades are in

With a low position in the draft and few skill position needs, a boring draft with middle of the pack ratings is hardly a surprise.  We can argue about running back, but the premier guys were gone.  I don't know that Gainwell offered Buffalo a lot more than Matt Breida.  Buffalo could have gone with a CB in round 1, but the top tier gues were all gone, and even some of the second tier guys.  Rousseau was clearly the better value.  I take Beane's word that the the picks they made followed the values they had  assigned to prospects.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Interesting that these scores also matched up with what most of us were feeling: the AFC East teams helped themselves greatly in this draft, along with Cleveland having a good draft.

I am sure that every team feels they "helped" themselves and made their team better . 

Also, each team's goals are different. Jags would be keen on climbing from the worst team to, say, the top of the bottom quartile. For the Bills, it is all about how can we go from third best to Superbowl winner. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I expect you know what I mean

Glamorous would be a star RB or WR or even TE, maybe a stud 1 Tech, or anyone who would be day 1 starters.

I guess our use of the word “glamorous” differs as it relates to NFL draft picks. 

43 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

They're in.

Very silly this early, but in. 

About three years from now we'll know how good the draft actually was.

Fun to talk about now, though. That's fair enough, but it doesn't mean anything.

And by the way, ever notice how the teams with two 1sts are always near the top for being smart? And the teams with few early picks ... nobody thinks they picked well. And the teams with higher picks tend towards the top of the rankings as they generally have splashier picks?

All part of the fun, but it's all silly.

All you can grade now is based off of big boards.  If you felt like you got players off the board who help immediately, or were largely valued more than where you picked - i guess you consider that a win.  

30 minutes ago, H2o said:

Draft grades are in?

tenor.gif

Ok this is almost as bad as the Peter Pan video we keep seeing over the years.

no flaming op.  I just don’t care.  3 and 4 years ago, ok. This one doesn’t matter.  We won’t even know on defense until Addison and Hughes retire.  We won’t know on offense until what we decide in three years on our tackles.  This draft really is an unknown.

53 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Who is Thor Nystrom and why is he so angry?

He's Rotoworld's (Now NBC Sports Edge) lead college football/draft guy.

I'd say he's pretty much the only person that does grades the right way. His average grade is a C rather than guys like NFL.com dude giving almost every team a B or A.

57 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They don't.  Teams with fewer picks were dinged with the bottom 3 being the rams, seattle, and houston.

Also ignored is the fact that chicago lost a 1st round pick to acquire the player that is giving them such a high mark.  So...

I think the Rams, Seahawks, and Houston were dinged a lot for the players they actually took as well though. Obviously having fewer picks makes it harder to have a "good" draft, but those teams all took players that analysts didn't really like.

I think it's a fair grade overall. I would say the Bills got an 'A' for value, maybe a C+ for addressing needs. After round 2, it looks like they basically went BPA 100%, with no regard for positional needs. 

You could argue this is better than a B, if you believe that BPA is the best way to go. As we have seen, having an overabundance of talent at a position can allow a team to address needs via trade early in the season. For example, Beane has a stable full of solid O-line vets and prospects that will certaily yield assets later on. Talent is always at a premium, even where you don't need it!

Edited by skibum

All of the teams should grade each other's drafts like they do in Eurovision. Instead of nul points for Russia because they annexed Crimea, we could have teams giving nul points to teams in their own division.

Like with Eurovision, the overall winner hosts the draft next year.

Edited by Blokestradamus

46 minutes ago, MJS said:

I read Kiper's analysis. He basically graded the Bills lower because he wanted them to draft a running back. Seemed petty.

Kuiper graded the draft like an lazy college English prof.  3 As, 3 Cs and everyone else gets a B.  Hilarious he’s still stealing money from ESPN.  He used to be the only guy dialed in to front offices and did a great job of monetizing that info.  But now he’s just living off of that very old legacy.  He brings nothing to the table anymore. 

Most of these guys lowered the Bills grade because we didn't draft a running back.  In fact, if you didn't go in the direction they would have gone for your team, your draft grade was lowered.  I think you could turn around and grade the egos of the respective draft graders via this chart.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Kuiper graded the draft like an lazy college English prof.  3 As, 3 Cs and everyone else gets a B.  Hilarious he’s still stealing money from ESPN.  He used to be the only guy dialed in to front offices and did a great job of monetizing that info.  But now he’s just living off of that very old legacy.  He brings nothing to the table anymore. 

While I'll agree his content isn't as quality, i do think the guy watches a ton of film on players, and isn't afraid to be wrong.  Someone praised him about the picks in 2018, but he was quick to remind them of his Jimmy Clausen pick.  I respect it 

Edited by dneveu

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

While I'll agree his content isn't as quality, i do think the guy watches a ton of film on players, and isn't afraid to be wrong.

Kuiper was never a film guy.  It was all connections and getting info from team.  Now maybe that’s changed.  Or you’re thinking of Mike Mayock who always did his own study.  Not that Mayock looks good doing an actual GM job.  Yeesh 

A guy on WGR quit his job because of the Josh Allen pick. 

Can't remember his name but I've heard of Josh Allen lately!

Instant reactions can be fun but don't mean much. On the plus side for the kid who quit WGR, almost any job you could imagine pays more than working behind the scenes in radio. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

I expect you know what I mean

Glamorous would be a star RB or WR or even TE, maybe a stud 1 Tech, or anyone who would be day 1 starters.

I think Groot might be a day 1 starter.  Let Hughes and Addison come in on high leverage passing downs.

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Chart shows a compilation of draft grades.  We all know that there’s limited value in immediate draft grades, but they’re something to discuss now that we are entering the post draft NFL void.  Flame away 

Basically, if you ignore your own scouts and pick according to the consensus lists, you had a great draft.

That's what these always are. Realistically, no one really knows how this will turn out. It was inevitable the Bills would end up in a spot like this because all they took were basically unknowns with known quantities still on the board. This FO has given me no reason to doubt them, and if Mel Kiper and the PFF guys were better than team scouting departments, they'd be working in them.

Sidenote, but I am very weary of Justin Fields after finding out he's going vegan. People might laugh that off, but think about the best athlete you know of who is vegan. The Blue Jays got Josh Donaldson prior to 2015, and that year he won MVP. Over the course of his time here, he started dating a militant vegan. All of a sudden, he was constantly injured, despite it not really being an issue in the past. His play sharply declined. I do not think Fields will be a success story, especially in a more physical sport.

Edited by Boxcar
  • Like (+1) 1