Jump to content

Who are the odd men out on DL after we drafted Rousseau and Basham?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

 

Means he doesn't think he can contribute right away.  Which I said is why he isn't being dressed but will need to take up a roster spot, so you are losing a player from another position.

 

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

 

Means he doesn't think he can contribute right away.  Which I said is why he isn't being dressed but will need to take up a roster spot, so you are losing a player from another position.

Your taking he needs development to mean he won’t dress, before the kid has so much as stepped on the field. You don’t like the pick we all get it. But he’s a first round pick he will be in the rotation. He produced in college with 15.5 sacks, had a valid reason for opt out. Seems like a good kid who wants to be here. A lot more to like than not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you look at it, the Bills have the same body type DE over and over.

 

Johnson is 6'6" 4.82

 

Obada is 6'6" 4.63

 

Epenesa is 6'6" 5.04 

 

And now Rousseau is 6'6" 4.68 

 

So there is redundancy there. 

 

You would think the DE's they would keep are Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Rosseau and the last spot between Johnson and Obada because neither has been a starting caliber pro. 

 

 

DT is Oliver, Zimmer, Star, Butler, Phillips. 

 

Maybe the Bills try and trade Oliver while he still has draft stock upside and keep Zimmer? 

 

Because the way it stands now, Oliver is not an every down player, he's not been a difference maker.   

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Rousseau is ready and shows well in camp, I could see the bills going leaner on defensive tackle

 

Add in that the bills have been able to find production from practice squad and wavier wire pick ups at defensive tackle

 

Kind of a lets keep the most talent and see how it goes, if it isn't working look to pick someone up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

 

He's just not very good.  Has a lot of work to do.  Is not a top 4 DE on the roster.

He has a lot of work to do but he instantly gets snaps on 3rd downs rushing inside. Its not even a question really. We used shaq the same way at times

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

 

He's just not very good.  Has a lot of work to do.  Is not a top 4 DE on the roster.

 

So it is your thinking that a first round pick, in a position of need will not dress for the season, am I hearing this correctly? Because if I am, you are seriously confused, nuthin but luv, but...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in the minority, but I really like Daryl Johnson. Every time he is on the field he makes things happen. Coming in he couldn't have been more raw, but he has worked and you see an NFL player forming there. He is also a key special teams guy. He is still very young and I believe Beane when he talks about Johnson with the Epenesa's and Rousseau's of the world. Eventually, this is what all of our DEs will look like. Super long and big and tall. The Hughes and Addison types will be phased out imo. 

 

If guys wind up on the chopping block, imo, its would be an interior guy since these guys can play inside as well. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

 

So it is your thinking that a first round pick, in a position of need will not dress for the season, am I hearing this correctly? Because if I am, you are seriously confused, nuthin but luv, but...

 

It's a position of need, but Rouse is not the immediate fix to it.  Please tell me who you are sitting?  Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Obada, or Johnson who plays a HUGE role of ST.  Most likely 4 will be dressed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

 

It's a position of need, but Rouse is not the immediate fix to it.  Please tell me who you are sitting?  Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Obada, or Johnson who plays a HUGE role of ST.  Most likely 4 will be dressed.

 

I thought Addison would get cut/moved, but his pay cut and restructure indicate that he will be on the team this pear, per Buffalo Rumblings:

 

Quote

 

Addison will save the Bills $2 million by taking a pay cut. We reported on those details earlier.

 

The two sides also changed the structure of the deal. He gets a roster bonus of $1.9 million up front instead of the originally scheduled $800,000. His base salary dropped by $3.1 million as a result; $2 million to the pay cut and $1.1 million as a new roster bonus. Also, the team guaranteed $3 million of his salary. He’ll be back this season for sure.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Maybe the Bills try and trade Oliver while he still has draft stock upside and keep Zimmer? 

 

Because the way it stands now, Oliver is not an every down player, he's not been a difference maker.   

 

 

 

I don't want to be rude, but I don't know how you can possibly believe that. Just because Zimmer had one flashy play last season doesn't mean he's even close to on par with Oliver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

 

It's a position of need, but Rouse is not the immediate fix to it.  Please tell me who you are sitting?  Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Obada, or Johnson who plays a HUGE role of ST.  Most likely 4 will be dressed.

Why is it that fans default to the GM and HC can’t deal with having this guy on the roster? How lame is that, really... as if that scenario has never happened before in the football world...,  on to round two, Go Bills!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

 

So who you sitting?  You sitting Obada, who has much more NFL success?  What you doing about special teams with Johnson?

 

This guy ain't seeing the field unless 2 DEs get hurt.

I would start him over both those guys you mentioned easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I don't want to be rude, but I don't know how you can possibly believe that. Just because Zimmer had one flashy play last season doesn't mean he's even close to on par with Oliver.

I'm not saying I'd do this tomorrow, but Oliver is the 9th overall pick and there hasn't been much to see. 

 

When we talk about lineman on their way out, how does Oliver not start coming up now? 

 

When we talk about odd-man out, Addison is expensive, so is Star. There is definitely a glut of DEs now, all in the same mold. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I know it is little bit early but I am curious what do you guys think.

A "little bit early"?  That is a major understatement.  🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

DT is Oliver, Zimmer, Star, Butler, Phillips. 

Maybe the Bills try and trade Oliver while he still has draft stock upside and keep Zimmer? 

Because the way it stands now, Oliver is not an every down player, he's not been a difference maker.  

 

🙄

Whether or not you agree with it, the defensive philosophy of McDermott and of Frazier is that no DLman, especially no DT, is an every down player

So when Oliver is playing 48-68% of the snaps, that's because their philosophy is to rotate DL

 

Don't get me wrong, I like Justin Zimmer.  I hope he takes a step, and I hope we have a place for him.  I liked him when he peanut-punched Cam Newton, and I liked him even better when he damned near ran down Tyreek Hill from behind in the AFCCG.  He's my guy.  But the idea to trade a first round pick who (according to McDermott) was "playing very well" at the end of last season and who gets 50% of the snaps, in favor of keeping a guy who has bounced around 3 teams and managed to work his way up to 25-35% of the snaps, is just weird.

 

12 minutes ago, wppete said:

Addison is a gonner. 

 

He's no longer under contract after this season

 

If you mean this season?  No way, he'll stay.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • No_Matter_What changed the title to Who are the odd men out on DL after we drafted Rousseau and Basham?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...