Who are the odd men out on DL after we drafted Rousseau and Basham?

Star and Addison are the least valuable.

Bam Johnson is really good on special teams and a breakout candidate so I don't see him going.    They can rationalize Obada as both a 3T and DE.    Zimmer is an energy player that I don't think they will want to let go.     

This is kinda' where keeping Addison and Butler didn't make a great deal of sense.........but I see them keeping 10 DL on the 53 anyway.  

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Bam Johnson is really good on special teams and a breakout candidate so I don't see him going.    They can rationalize Obada as both a 3T and DE.    Zimmer is an energy player that I don't think they will want to let go.     

This is kinda' where keeping Addison and Butler didn't make a great deal of sense.........but I see them keeping 10 DL on the 53 anyway.  

Disagree about Star, Ed Oliver was our only other effective NT. 

I think we add another NT today, see who wins between Butler, Phillips (who can play both) and Zimmer (very athletic) 

I can see the 2021 IDL being:

NT

Star

Rookie

DT

Oliver

Butler vs Zimmer vs Phillips

4 DTs in total and 5 DEs

6 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I think Hughes gets traded.

He's the only one worth anything.

And then our pass rush will be worse.  Much worse.  This is really the stupidest idea ever. It’s unbillievable tbh

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I honestly think Hughes gets cut/traded or Addison cut.  

Seems like they like Johnson, and i highly doubt they cut Obada after just signing him in FA.   Epenesa and Rousseau are locks.  

Or they keep all 6, given Rousseau, Epenesa and Obada can all kick inside on passing downs. 

32 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think we add another NT today, see who wins between Butler, Phillips (who can play both) and Zimmer (very athletic) 

NT

Star

Rookie

DT

Oliver

4 DTs in total and 5 DEs

Harrison Phillips played much better towards the end of the season..........I expect him to be back to his 2019 form when he was clearly outplaying Star.........but he is another one who isn't very impactful.     

Zimmer is just a 3T.......he can't play the 1T or NT effectively.   Butler can play both.

Contrary to popular belief the second half of the season defense was quite good against possibly the Bills toughest schedule in decades........not sure what a 32 year old Star has to offer at this point.    Bills can't cut him because of the dead money hit, but they could IR him and just eat the rest of that foolish contract.    I agree that they pick up a DT in the draft yet or in UDFA.    Damon Harrison would be a big improvement over Lotulelei too and he played for around $2M last season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I could see McB throwing some money at Hasson Reddick next year, who would replace Hughes or Addison. As AJE and GR develop. 

Addison will be a healthy scratch by week 6 if he even makes the team. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Harrison Phillips played much better towards the end of the season..........I expect him to be back to his 2019 form when he was clearly outplaying Star.........but he is another one who isn't very impactful.     

Zimmer is just a 3T.......he can't play the 1T or NT effectively.   Butler can play both.

Contrary to popular belief the second half of the season defense was quite good against possibly the Bills toughest schedule in decades........not sure what a 32 year old Star has to offer at this point.    Bills can't cut him because of the dead money hit, but they could IR him and just eat the rest of that foolish contract.    I agree that they pick up a DT in the draft yet or in UDFA.    Damon Harrison would be a big improvement over Lotulelei too and he played for around $2M last season.

Phillips did come back from being a healthy scratch mid-season to play better. He is still a very limited player. Assuming they draft a 1-tech DT he will be one of the 4 or 5 current players on the bubble to make the team. 

8 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I see posts about trading Hughes but I really question whether we can get enough value in trade. Who is going to offer up valuable picks or players for him at his age... only someone who is a 2021 contender. I can't see trading him for a 2022 4th rounder from a playoff team.

I can't imagine any team trading for him or Addison based on their contract regardless of leave of pick.  Just being able to trade either, I believe reduces the cap hit to the Bills compared to cutting him.

The only one I see with any trade value is Phillips due to cheap contract.  Would they trade Epinesa?? Probably he too would have value.

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

NT

Star

Rookie

DT

Oliver

4 DTs in total and 5 DEs

Um...AFAIK, Phillips doesn't play 3TDT like Oliver and Butler and Zimmer

He's a 1TDT like Star

He lined up as a 3TDT at times last season when the Bills were using 3TDT as a "good conduct prize" for trying to bust your but at 1TDT

But I don't think 3T is Harry's strong point, any more than playing 1T is Oliver's

I don't think either of our rookies (so far) are types to succeed as a 1T

So OP, you might need to change that to "Odd Men Out"

The main issue is we can't PS this year's draft pick

I don't think we part with Lotulelei (cap, also 1T), Addison (cap) or Hughes (experience, leadership) this year

Oliver also likely gets more time as a 3rd year 1st rounder.

But we clearly can't keep everyone we got on the roster

• Like (+1) 1

• No_Matter_What changed the title to Who are the odd men out on DL after we drafted Rousseau and Basham?
42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So OP, you might need to change that to "Odd Men Out"

The main issue is we can't PS this year's draft pick

I don't think we part with Lotulelei (cap, also 1T), Addison (cap) or Hughes (experience, leadership) this year

Oliver also likely gets more time as a 3rd year 1st rounder.

But we clearly can't keep everyone we got on the roster

Addison could still go out the door pretty easily as a June 1

Currently we have, what, 15/16 DL on the roster?  Clearly the math does not line up in keeping that # on the active roster.  Sure there are a few that would be easy to PS or cut (i.e., Cox, Love)....yet, I also think that Johnson is safe as Beane made a point to acknowledge him in the conversation about Rousseau.  I actually think Addison and/or Hughes may not make it out of camp.  Addison is just not that effective. He may be a good mentor early on and in camp, but then his work would be done and it would be an easy cut.  Butler also is expendable. This gets us closer to 10.  I think the youth movement on the DL is actually upon us now, not two years from now.  Really, if we played Basham and Rousseau how much of a drop off would it truly be from what we saw from Addison or Oliver last year, honestly?  Not much, in fact it could be an upgrade. Regardless, the camp battles will be healthy and helpful to our defense moving forward.