Who are the odd men out on DL after we drafted Rousseau and Basham?

Just now, Melon said:

And that means Beane doesn't think he's good and will not dress?

Means he doesn't think he can contribute right away.  Which I said is why he isn't being dressed but will need to take up a roster spot, so you are losing a player from another position.

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Means he doesn't think he can contribute right away.  Which I said is why he isn't being dressed but will need to take up a roster spot, so you are losing a player from another position.

You're losing murphy and johnson and gaining rousseau and obada.  Who plays where and when - whatever... its still an upgrade.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Seeing how Rousseau won't be dressed this year, he's gonna have to be an extra and another position is where a player will be lost. 

He won't be dressed? Is he gonna play nekkid? I like the pick even more now.... 😈

3 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Daryl Johnson is going to have a tough time making this team.

One would presume so, but Brandon Beane last night every time he was asked about Rousseau and Epenesa as the future kept saying "and Darryl Johnson". Of course we are in April, things change but he made a real point of throwing him in that mix on multiple occasions. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I would guess we end up rolling with Hughes, Lotulelei, Oliver, Addison, Epenesa, Butler, Phillips, Obada, and Rousseau.

Is Johnson PS eligible anymore? If not, then maybe they keep him over Phillips or Butler, but I doubt that. 

Apparently the question of PS eligibility rules is up in the air still.  I had heard earlier that the same rules as last year would apply: veteran players can be placed on the practice squad etc. 🤷‍♂️.

14 minutes ago, Melon said:

I think we need to look at the DEs specifically

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa

Johnson

Obada

Rousseau

Beane has kept 5 DEs before so I think Beane does it again. I think it will come down to Johnson versus Obada unless Addison is cut for cap savings but I am not sure of the impact that would have.

FWIW, there may be clues as to the Bills FO thinking in the guaranteed money

We finally know what Obada's contract is.  His cap hit is $1.5M, with $1M in salary, $0.3M in signing bonus, and $0.2M in roster bonus.  But Spotrac reports him as having $800M guaranteed, which would probably mean that half of his salary is guaranteed.

Addison's salary is being reported by Overthecap as "fully guaranteed".  This is not uncommon when a player takes a haircut - they want to get something in return, and a lower, but fully guaranteed, salary is usually that thing.  So if we cut Addison, it will actually COST us cap as he still has a void year extending his signing bonus through next season. 

Jerry Hughes is the one who can be cut with significant cap savings.  This is the last year of his contract, so he can be cut with $6.3M of cap savings.

Darryl Johnson has a cap hit of $0.874M with savings of >$0.8M if cut

Or, there may not be clues - certainly last year, the Bills were willing to roster/dress/activate less expensive players over more expensive players (Murphy etc)

• Like (+1) 1

I think the roster battle is between Addison and Johnson.

Johnson is a key contributor on STs.  Addison is done after this year (he may have another year left on contract, but he's done), so if you keep him, then it better be worth losing Johnson.  

I think Addison will be the odd man out.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

One would presume so, but Brandon Beane last night every time he was asked about Rousseau and Epenesa as the future kept saying "and Darryl Johnson". Of course we are in April, things change but he made a real point of throwing him in that mix on multiple occasions. 

Hmm.  I didn't see that, which is why I presumed what I did.  Maybe Beane and McDermott envision some sort of competition where Daryl Johnson could beat out Addison with a great training camp.  Unfortunately, there isn't room for everybody.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

So who you sitting?  You sitting Obada, who has much more NFL success?  What you doing about special teams with Johnson?

This guy ain't seeing the field unless 2 DEs get hurt.

Lets revisit this post when the season comes around.  Just like when you said McDermott would never win anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The DL is overpriced, and Beane is going to need the money to sign Josh Allen.

Addison re-structured so it will help him stay. Cap savings for Hughes puts a target on his back.

The wildcard is Star, especially if they draft a DT.

Johnson stays just for Special Teams alone.

5 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I think Hughes gets traded.

He's the only one worth anything.

We arent in re-build mode. Or even build mode for that matter.

It would make no sense to trade away our best pass rusher when we are trying to tweak the roster and prime the pump for a Championship run.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jerry Hughes is the one who can be cut with significant cap savings.  This is the last year of his contract, so he can be cut with $6.3M of cap savings.

Thought of that too but Hughes is our best DE and produces extremely well even at his age. Not sure that $6.3 million could be spent better than on Hughes. Good point on Addison - I think he's on the roster for sure.

Going to come down to Johnson or Obada - maybe one get's dealt for a mid-rounder.

• Like (+1) 1