How Many Primetime Games?

elijah

How Many Primetime Games Will The Bills Be Scheduled In 2021?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. How many prime time games?

• 5+

We hadn’t had any prime time games for years. Not because we sucked -though we did, but because when we played PT during the drought, we were repeatedly drubbed. Networks/fans want competitive games. Bills/Steelers ‘19 is precisely what is desired. We’ve become actual media darlings though as Josh continues his incredible play and McBeane continue to add great new players. But now, the shoe may be going on the other foot somewhat. IIRC, @Arizona was one of only a couple 4pm games that day last season, so much of the nation was tuned in and saw a fantastic game and finish. That turned out to be an anomaly. Otherwise, we were Goliath to the Leagues David, annihilating Pittsburgh, NE*, Miami, Denver & San Fran. Then followed up those  jaw-dropping performances with 2 dramatic playoff wins.

Given all the networks now involved, 7 PT games wouldn’t shock me. Gone are days of season-long 1pm Kickoffs.

16 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Bills at Chiefs would be an awesome opening Sunday night game. Somehow the league will mess this up though and give this a 1PM time slot so they can schedule the Giants at the Cowboys instead. You know because that game is more important 

its because Giants/Cowboys will draw about 5x the audience given the size of those fanbases.  its all about the ad revenue and eyeballs my friend

Four sounds about right, but I could see five given the 17-game schedule.  There are three PT games per week, plus the Saturday games at the end of the year — so let’s call it 55 PT games overall (110 teams).  That’s a lot of opportunity for the good/popular teams, and as has been noted, the Bills are drawing national interest because of Allen and their offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

its because Giants/Cowboys will draw about 5x the audience given the size of those fanbases.  its all about the ad revenue and eyeballs my friend

I think that's a little overrated. I think people do care about matchups and in a lot of instances I believe most people will watch simply because it's football. I usually don't care what the matchup is, even if it's two teams I don't care for I will watch every Sunday night because it's football. Not because the Giants are playing the Cowboys. I think most football fans are watching either way

13 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I went with 4, plus throw in 1 or 2 more Sunday 4:25 starts

Isn't there a rule stating the max number of prime time games a team can have?

Just read the schedule is expected to be released May 13th.

I always thought it was five so I looked it up...not sure how old this is:

"Individual teams may make no more than four appearances on NBC during the season. Only three teams may make as many as six prime time appearances (Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, and Saturday night combined).[22] The remaining teams may make a maximum of five prime time appearances. In addition, there are no restrictions amongst intra-division games being 'flexed'."

https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/NFL_on_television#:~:text=Individual teams may make no,of five prime time appearances.

I want to believe that it will be five prime time games for the Bills but they never seem to be on more than three or four times, even when they are really good. That said, I will say four but will not be surprised if it's finally five given the 'Josh Allen Factor'.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Bucs - Thursday night opener

Chiefs - Monday night football

Steelers - Sunday night football

Titans - Late season Saturday night football

patriots - Monday night football

Steelers and Bills on SNF seems like a good bet. Last two years they played on SNF.

I was thinking four but I wonder with all the new QBs and QBs changing teams, that it may be more spread out this year. Would not be surprised if it is 3 and then they get flexed into two more late in the year.  

Monday night games are terrible for me.  I miss half the game by the time I make it home from work.

20 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Possible

NO

TB

KC

IND

TEN

division games

with Brees retiring, this game doesn't have a primetime feel to it.

I feel like the Bills will get more Sunday night games this year.   I think 2 Sunday nights, a Monday night and a Thursday night game.     Pitt Monday night, TB Thursday night, KC and NE on Sunday night.

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I was thinking four but I wonder with all the new QBs and QBs changing teams, that it may be more spread out this year. Would not be surprised if it is 3 and then they get flexed into two more late in the year.  

Monday night games are terrible for me.  I miss half the game by the time I make it home from work.

Move to Portland, Maine. Keep your board name, problem solved. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

The downside to being good - I'm going [hope they let me] to only one game this season - with two friends from out-of-town. 1pm start is what works, with tailgating, return flights, etc. I'll pick the suckiest opponent and hope it doesn't get flexed.