Jayson Oweh DE PSU my first round TGT.

MAJBobby

Did this guy really run a 4.36 40? That's insane. 6'5" 257 pounds running 4.36? wtf? 

Has he ever played rb or wr?

39.5" vertical leap, over 11' broad jump, 21 reps on the bench, guy is an athletic freak.

Edited by Turk71

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Maybin wasn’t even close to Oweh athletic profile. And we are talking 30 not 11. 

inexperienced athletic Gifted QB traded up for how did that work out?

Inexperienced? Josh started 25 games at Wyoming and was a two year starter.  Im not going to bother to look it up but my guess is of the 2021 NFL draft prospects only Lawrence will have more starts in college - he had 40 becuase he had 15 starts as a Freshman.

For the record, I like Oweh too and he would be a steal at 30, but the Maybin parallels are a bit unnerving.

• Agree 1

Maybin

40 Yard Dash:4.78 seconds

Vertical Leap:38.0 inches

Broad Jump:124 inches

20 Yd Shuttle:4.38 seconds

Three Cone:7.52 seconds

Oweh

40 yrds 4.36 secs

vertical leap 39.5"

broad jump 134"

20 yrd shuttle 4.15 secs

3 cone  6.85 secs

Not even in the same ballpark athletically, not even close. Oweh is also taller and 10 pounds heavier.

I'm not saying Oweh will be good. I'm saying the Maybin comparisons are lazy and imo inaccurate.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

You did not convince me enough to move my support away from Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickerson at pick 30. 

I feel like if I were to take a chance on one of these edges, it's be Jalen Phillips. Provided his mindset is good and I strongly feel like he won't quit again. Dude is a beast. 

Similar to my thoughts on Ossai out of Texas a couple of weeks ago. I think if he makes an impact early it will be on a 3-4 team. If the Bills draft him then as a rookie his role is to play on some 3rd downs and rush mainly from a 2 point stance. I am not against them taking a swing at a high ceiling guy to play edge who might not be a day 1 starter though. Just think fans would need to be patient. I can well imagine the "Oweh is a BUST" posts at the end of his rookie year.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So in

2017 as a Frosh had 2 sacks. 

2019 as a SO had 5 Sacks. 

2020 Opted out. 

there is production trending up for him I don’t really think it will be a long development at all and would play in Epenesa Roll this year rotational learning more than playing. 

Can you put some context on those sacks? When and against who? I’m not for or against the player. I’ve seen a few posters say things like hard pass. One poster claims to be a PSU fan and says no. I wish those posters could give some reasoning.

As for the Josh comparison, the mental side is what flipped me. I was guilty of listening to all the pundits. Once Josh was selected I spent the next day doing my own research  that included a psychosocial assessment from afar.  I watched tape from Wyoming to the senior bowl. I knew by the next afternoon that Josh had a far greater chance of being good or great than being a bust. 

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

reason:

best pure Athlete in the Draft IMO. Size Speed off the charts. He will be at 30 because of the limited games (20). Former Basketball player but very raw in football. Can be perfect for a team that can bring him along slowly and I think the Bills can afford that. If he had more games he would not make it out of the top 10. 

they did it with QB and MLB. Now Beane goes the same model at the DE of the future. I have him graded as the 35th best player in the draft. 

will have to add maybe 10 pounds as a 4-3 DE but has the frame to do that. Rookie season a spot rusher while learning. Ceiling it super high and if developed properly I think by year 3 people will put him in the elite DE talk. 

i really just wish he didn’t run this 40 though as now may go earlier than I was hoping. Before this 40 he was going to be there at 30. Now I am sure there are teams thinking the same let’s take him at 22 and see what we can develop with that natural god given talent. 

Tarzan can swing from tree but Tarzan no play football in NFL. 😂

Foreal though he's too light in the behind for my liking u got to have tree trunks for legs to play DE and also a big round behind. I'm serious. He's body type is Maybinish! These kinds of players are scary ntm he didn't do much on the college level as far as putting up stats. I'll pass on him. 

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not only is he raw but he turns 23 in December. I would be all about taking a chance on him somewhere but not in the first round. 

Exactly what I was thinking yes he's a physical freak but age and lack of production would only make me comfortable taking him at the end of the 2nd rd at pk #60. I think that's his best value for us. 

reason:

best pure Athlete in the Draft IMO. Size Speed off the charts. He will be at 30 because of the limited games (20). Former Basketball player but very raw in football. Can be perfect for a team that can bring him along slowly and I think the Bills can afford that. If he had more games he would not make it out of the top 10. 

they did it with QB and MLB. Now Beane goes the same model at the DE of the future. I have him graded as the 35th best player in the draft. 

will have to add maybe 10 pounds as a 4-3 DE but has the frame to do that. Rookie season a spot rusher while learning. Ceiling it super high and if developed properly I think by year 3 people will put him in the elite DE talk. 

i really just wish he didn’t run this 40 though as now may go earlier than I was hoping. Before this 40 he was going to be there at 30. Now I am sure there are teams thinking the same let’s take him at 22 and see what we can develop with that natural god given talent. 

4.36 40 ... Former Basketball player but very raw in football. ... Shouldn't he be a Tight End ????

Considering only been playing football 2 years we expect a fully honed Football Player?  And then Opted out this year. 

He did not opt out this year.  He played 7 games in 2020 and produced no sacks.  For sure the athletic ability is there, but will he ever be a very good DE and pass rusher?

I am not opposed to the Bills selecting him, but he would definitely be a risky pick based almost entirely on his potential over his little production.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jayson-oweh-1.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He did not opt out this year.  He played 7 games in 2020 and produced no sacks.  For sure the athletic ability is there, but will he ever be a very good DE and pass rusher?

I am not opposed to the Bills selecting him, but he would definitely be a risky pick based almost entirely on his potential over his little production.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jayson-oweh-1.html

He would be a swing for the fences for any team at the end of the draft. If you hit it, you could have a future superstar. Or, you miss, and go on to the next pitch. The questions is, is there enough there to take the risk. His production is low, but the measurements are impressive. That's why we're even having this conversation. But is it enough?

I do think the Bills are a team that could afford the gamble.

2 hours ago, delirious said:

You did not convince me enough to move my support away from Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickerson at pick 30. 

I feel like if I were to take a chance on one of these edges, it's be Jalen Phillips. Provided his mindset is good and I strongly feel like he won't quit again. Dude is a beast. 

Doesn't the concussions concern you? I won't touch him until #60 . I want Azeez Ojulari 

Measurables

Age 20, Will be 21 in June

Height: (6-foot-2 1⁄4 inches)
Weight: 249 pounds
Arm Length: 34 3/8 inches
Hand Span: 10 1⁄2 inches
40 Time: 4.60 seconds
Bench Press: 28 reps

Career Stats

Games Played: 23
Tackles: 68
Tackles For a loss: 18.5
Sacks: 15.0
Forced Fumbles: 5
Passes Defensed: 2

2020 Stats

Games Played: 10
Tackles: 31
Tackles For a loss: 12.5
Sacks: 9.5
Forced Fumbles: 4
Passes Defensed: 2

Quick Summary

Best: Athleticism, first step, length, versatility, mental processing
Worst: Technique, consistency
Projection: A starting EDGE with scheme versatility.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I like Oweh, but I wonder if he’ll even get to us. Some smart people are putting him as the best DE in the class.

Some other people are saying only 6 years playing football and 1 year college starter ;) 

He looks to be a project type player with a huge upside.

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

An inexperienced DE from PSU.  What could go wrong?

He could always be an underwear model if the DE thing doesn't work out ;)

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Similar to my thoughts on Ossai out of Texas a couple of weeks ago. I think if he makes an impact early it will be on a 3-4 team. If the Bills draft him then as a rookie his role is to play on some 3rd downs and rush mainly from a 2 point stance. I am not against them taking a swing at a high ceiling guy to play edge who might not be a day 1 starter though. Just think fans would need to be patient. I can well imagine the "Oweh is a BUST" posts at the end of his rookie year.

I agree.  One thing that’s always in my mind with first round picks - especially ones later in the first - is second contracts.  If you take a Shaq Lawson, which is to say a player that’s probably going to be good, but not great, then that’s a tough second contract for the drafting team to give.  He’s almost certainly getting one, but from another team.  With high ceiling/low floor guys like Oweh it’ll be an easy decision either way.  If he flourishes, you pay him what’s expected on a first round pick’s second contract.  If he doesn’t, then he’s gone in 3-4 years.