It looks like Bills Management thinks it is the RBs.

Mostly it was run play schemes, and that our best O line combination was never on the field together at any point of the season, that and with Spain being an azs when it came to doing his job, and getting himself fired,  these facts fit very well with Beane’s remarks in the end of season PC, it really is not so complicated as to why our run game regressed from the previous season, all ya gotta do is look at what changed one year to the next, and the answer becomes apparent. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since the season ended the debate has been between those of us, myself included, who think the problem with the running game and the team's abandonment of it is because our RBs aren't very good and those who have blamed it on the O-line.  Well, so far based on the re-signing of Feliciano and Williams, it looks pretty obvious to me that Beane, who in his end of season PC indicated he wasn't pleased with the running game, doesn't think the O-line was the problem.  The starting 5 are basically locked in with the exception of LG, which will be either Ford or Boettger.  So IMO Beane knows our RBs suck and will be looking to upgrade at RB, not O-line, either in free agency or the draft.  

The lamest excuse I've seen for not upgrading the running back position is that Beane would have to admit he made a mistake drafting a RB in the 3rd round in each of the last 2 drafts.  Beane doesn't seem to be the type whose pride would cause him to keep the status quo at a position of need just because he drafted two 3rd round RBs.  If the Bills were so satisfied with Singletary & Moss as the top 2 RBs, they would have never tried to sign Bell in the middle of this past season.  

Yep.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not saying Levi Wallace is any sort of star, but he's decent, knows the system, and competent CBs are way valuable than RBs. The Bills were second in the league in both yards and points last season, and while their running game isn't great, offense isn't the problem. Bad cornerback play will really expose the defense, which needs to improve. Bad corner play is the sort of thing no defense can tolerate. My point is, in a season in which you're gunning for SB, do you want to weaken our pool of corners for a RB coming off a down year and who is kind of a nothing in the passing game?  

Oh you know I value CB play WAY above RB...........I like Levi but I am not certain he is even in their plans.    If they give him an original round tender........I think he's gone.   For nothing.    Lindsay is a more explosive runner than Etienne........if he's healthy he could even be the lead back.    And yes he was injured last year but all backs get injured.   Etienne looked greatly diminished last year.    Hunt has been a 4.2 ypc back each of the last two seasons.  Nice player but if you want to add speed Lindsay is much faster.     

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The passing game was also insanely effective which led to this team passing a lot more and not getting into a groove with the run game. I expect the offensive staff to try and work on the scheme as I agree with keeping the O-line together as I really don't think run blocking was the major issue in the ground games inconsistency. There were several games where the Bills were able to eat clock with a grind it out run game. The team just needs to find a way to take over on the ground when they have a lead.

We dont disagree....I was not saying I think the Bills offensive design was awful, I am just saying they tried to throw the ball, not run.  There were times they were effective running and times they were not, I think if they focused on it they could be better.  Tweaks to game plans, not overhauling.....

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since the season ended the debate has been between those of us, myself included, who think the problem with the running game and the team's abandonment of it is because our RBs aren't very good and those who have blamed it on the O-line.  Well, so far based on the re-signing of Feliciano and Williams, it looks pretty obvious to me that Beane, who in his end of season PC indicated he wasn't pleased with the running game, doesn't think the O-line was the problem.  The starting 5 are basically locked in with the exception of LG, which will be either Ford or Boettger.  So IMO Beane knows our RBs suck and will be looking to upgrade at RB, not O-line, either in free agency or the draft.  

The lamest excuse I've seen for not upgrading the running back position is that Beane would have to admit he made a mistake drafting a RB in the 3rd round in each of the last 2 drafts.  Beane doesn't seem to be the type whose pride would cause him to keep the status quo at a position of need just because he drafted two 3rd round RBs.  If the Bills were so satisfied with Singletary & Moss as the top 2 RBs, they would have never tried to sign Bell in the middle of this past season.  

The Bills supposed starting 5 only played like 3 snaps together last year. Constant shuffling preve ted them developing continuity  

Running and passing go hand in hand.  Success in passing makes the defense have to respect it making it easier to run in theory.  Our run game couldn't cash in the advantage they had when defenses were consistently focusing on the pass. (kc had 6 dbs on the field) I believe there are 3 reasons for this.

1. mediocre rb talent. 

2. Blocking TE  (that can't catch) that pretty much signals offensive intent

3. QB couldn't attack using only RBs and TEs.  Brady did this easily in superbowl (albeit with better talent at those spots)

2 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Was just saying this yesterday...its clear they aren't blaming the oline. So it's either scheme, or lack of explosive talent. 

I tend to think B. 

I think Bean does not want to create any gaping holes prior to the draft (ie. must get a guard/draft a guard to start).  I 100% hope we take OL at 30 if it's the BPA.  No problem having depth on OL.  

• Agree 1

The offensive line still can't run block lol 

and it's the GM's job to create a team with  little holes as possible.. letting Daryl Williams and feliciano walk would have just created more holes that he needed to fill

We have a line of finesse pass blockers basically. We have two above average runblockers .. Dawkins and Feliciano are probably above average.. Cody Ford has not shown he can run block as a guard

a move like this would not say beane thinks the line is perfect.. it means he doesn't want it to get worse and would rather have continuity.. we're a bottom 10 run blocking team 

Getting a better running back would just mean his talent will help him get more yards. He's not going to be running through bigger holes

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

There is a third option, personnel/play design!   Its hard to run well in 10 and 11 personnel.  Maybe they need to commit more to running...pound away a little more.

Yes, this.

Our RB's may not be elite, but they were met by the D at or behind the line of scrimmage way too much last season for me to me to want to place the majority of the blame for the running game with them.

The big thing with the online is also the blocking scheme and zone power run

Which is aka all blockers push out from there set base. Which as others have said is a poor scheme when we can't get any push on the dline.

Morse is better a pulling from the center position and blocking to the second level. Which is what was done a few times for big gaimes against Houston in the playoffs.

Ford when he does block well gets holding calls because he road grades the player in front of him.

This is also one of the reasons that Josh will run it in from the 5 yard line or less because the line can't push out in close quarters.

This is why are running backs don't score many tds

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Or maybe that they simply don't think they need to be much above average in the run game(they were 19th and stronger in some areas) and they can improve it with scheme.

They literally had a RB who averaged 5 yards per carry as a rookie in 2019..........and still used a third round pick on another RB.........so I don't think adding another RB would be some admission that they think their RB's stink.

My personal favorite is making a trade for Phillip Lindsay after Denver gives him a second round tender at a $3.4M cap hit.    Do the same with Levi Wallace and swap players.   Denver #1 need is at CB.....they need multiple....... and they play a zone system.    That dude is legit fast and has also produced and it will be a walk year.   

Better than trading a good pick for Hunt and then paying him $5M cap hit next year.........$5M in cap space got JJ Watt in Arizona........it's a lot this year.

I'm interested in Hunt for the right price, but this Lindsay/Wallace scenario you propose.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Possibly, but our passing attack in 10 & 11 pkgs is so explosive, to align any other way is to tip our hand what we’re Not going to do. Feliciano has shown much better at run blocking -which is a ‘tip’ as well, while Morse seems better suited to pass pro. I’m in the Big Back camp. A stout thumper with some wheels.

I think that's the thing. They have to figure out how to run out those sets and 'getting better players' isn't a realistic answer. Getting the right players is.. which a big ass thumper may be able to do more in those situations. The TE would also be extremely important to the blocking in the Bills offense which is where I think they'd be best set to improve. SOmebody who can catch and block. Maybe not amazing at either one, but competent at both. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Agreed the jury is still out on Moss as he was hurt last year but it’s obvious the Bills front office believes they missed in evaluating Singletary and thought he was better then he was 

4 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Given all these Bills RB thread criticisms, enjoying watching the Bills offense this year was apparently only enjoyed by the less knowledgeable fan.

I guess when a fan base is accustomed to offensive mediocrity for so long any improvement is looked upon with emphatic joy. Too bad only the "knowledgeable" fan got to enjoy it. 

We all saw the improvement. We also saw the short comings. If you think the running game wasn't lacking than I don't have the words. Whether it be personnel or scheme design, who knows? One thing is certain. We won't get any further than last season until it's corrected, but I'm sure we'll still have an entertaining offense. 

The debate of whether it was scheme, line play, or personnel ended when Antonio Williams got a chance to play against Miami. I know it was garbage time, but he hit the hole harder than moss or singletary did the entire season. I trust my eyes, and I was convinced from that game alone that he should’ve immediately been the new rb1

Edited by billsgpr88