Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

44 mil seemed like a decent deal for both sides.  Am I wrong or is his cap hit in 21 5 mil?  If so Buf still has workable room left.  Imo any updrade on the dline comes at the expense of Addison.  He is good enough to stay but an upgrade makes him expendable.

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

44 mil seemed like a decent deal for both sides.  Am I wrong or is his cap hit in 21 5 mil?  If so Buf still has workable room left.  Imo any updrade on the dline comes at the expense of Addison.  He is good enough to stay but an upgrade makes him expendable.

It will be just under 8 million this year 

Edited by CaptnCoke11

29 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

yet you listed reasons you actually dont Trust him :)

That is one way to view it. I am really admitting that Beane knows more about it than I do. Brandon has information I do not. He also knows other moves he is making with the roster. I also know somethings about football but I am willing to admit I don’t spend nearly the time or have the resources a NFL GM does. That is why I trust Beane. He has shown he can put together a good team.

Seems like a lot of money. 

Other than our secondary I'm not really convinced we have a single player in our front seven that can't be replaced with a cheaper option with  near identical results. Hope I am wrong. 

Milano did play at that level during stretches though. But then of course you have the injury history with him as well. Definitely a gamble. Hopefully we can find or develop a pass rush still.

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

he may be able to get endorsement deals that a low-key guy like him would not get in other cities, IMO.  

also, he balls out on this deal, he is getting a MEGA deal somewhere after this.  

Probably not, will be hitting his 30s

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Only 7mil cap hit the first year.  Love it.  I think they can bring back Mongo and Williams.  Probably can’t get anyone else and I’m fine with that 

I would think Williams would have been signed first if he was willing to sign before free agency.

Bills gave up almost 30 points in the six games he missed.  Only about 20 in the ten games he played.  There were other factors at play but that's an eye popping stat.  This defense is so reliant on their LB's that he was a "must sign" in my mind.  I'm pleasantly surprised he took this deal as it's likely some team wildly overpaying for him in the open market.

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Bills gave up almost 30 points in the six games he missed.  Only about 20 in the ten games he played.  There were other factors at play but that's an eye popping stat.  This defense is so reliant on their LB's that he was a "must sign" in my mind.  I'm pleasantly surprised he took this deal as it's likely some team wildly overpaying for him in the open market.

Playing the devils advocate here, you would think that Edmunds would still hold his own without Milano right? 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Still remember Al Michael’s comments during the opener that year where he was yucking it up about how Gillislee got away from the Bills. Don’t get me wrong, I was bummed to lose Touchdown Mike, but the dig at the Bills was a little extra. As long as Milano stays healthy, that trade will be considered pretty damn good for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Playing the devils advocate here, you would think that Edmunds would still hold his own without Milano right? 

I'm way more sold on Milano than Edmunds and that's one reason why.  This gives me a lot more confidence that the Bills could cut bait with Edmunds without us having a huge hole at LB as a result.  We'll pry have two years to evaluate him.  

BTW....PFF was pretty darn close with their free agency prediction with Milano.

38. LB MATT MILANO

Milano has developed into a modern-day linebacker. He has the 11th-best coverage grade among linebackers since 2018, he’s been excellent matching up with running backs in single coverage and he’s held his own when asked to line up over the slot.

Milano’s tackling has been an issue, as he missed 36 over 2018 and 2019, and that adds up to a below-average run defender since entering the league. However, the coverage value makes Milano an intriguing option given the importance of being able to match up with opposing offensive weapons.

Contract Analysis: Milano showed he can be one of the better coverage linebackers in the NFL in 2018 and 2019, and his skill set fits well alongside 2018 first-round LB Tremaine Edmunds — a rangier, sideline-to-sideline linebacker with pass-rush ability. Injuries have limited Milano in 2020 so far, but his absence has also perhaps exposed a leaky Bills defense when he’s not available.

Prediction: Four years, $45 million ($11.25M APY): $20M total guaranteed, $15M fully guaranteed at signing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

i don’t think they are planning on saving money this year by him not making it to 12 games.  He’s no more likely to miss that many games this year than any of the remaining 3 years after this

That was not my contention, and I have no idea where this comes from.  I'm sure the Bills expect and want Milano to start 16 games.

However, if any provision of his contract incentives are labeled by the NFL "unlikely to be met", that portion will count against the 2022 cap even if he meets them in 2021

See Morse, Mitch

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm way more sold on Milano than Edmunds and that's one reason why.  This gives me a lot more confidence that the Bills could cut bait with Edmunds without us having a huge hole at LB as a result.  We'll pry have two years to evaluate him.  

BTW....PFF was pretty darn close with their free agency prediction with Milano.

38. LB MATT MILANO

Milano has developed into a modern-day linebacker. He has the 11th-best coverage grade among linebackers since 2018, he’s been excellent matching up with running backs in single coverage and he’s held his own when asked to line up over the slot.

Milano’s tackling has been an issue, as he missed 36 over 2018 and 2019, and that adds up to a below-average run defender since entering the league. However, the coverage value makes Milano an intriguing option given the importance of being able to match up with opposing offensive weapons.

Contract Analysis: Milano showed he can be one of the better coverage linebackers in the NFL in 2018 and 2019, and his skill set fits well alongside 2018 first-round LB Tremaine Edmunds — a rangier, sideline-to-sideline linebacker with pass-rush ability. Injuries have limited Milano in 2020 so far, but his absence has also perhaps exposed a leaky Bills defense when he’s not available.

Prediction: Four years, $45 million ($11.25M APY): $20M total guaranteed, $15M fully guaranteed at signing.

They’re using fancy math and formulas to make their predictions... not all that different than NFL teams do (albeit with their own individual tweaks) folks around here better get used to them fancy models and mathematics... 

33 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I wouldn't say must because I think we're at a point we are confident in getting to 30 points a game and wanted that money on the D line.  

But....Milano is important just his presence he is the only guy on that D that truly makes everyone around him better.  I feel like he's important against the run more so then the pass but it's close.  Great QB'S and TEs will do well but maybe the Chiefs game was total failure in game plan.  I swear these 2 better not be interviewing in January.   

He'd have been tough to replace.

Now the biggest thing is staying on the field.  That's always been my only issue with him.