Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This post doesn’t make sense to me. McBeane have done an amazing job. But you couldn’t question trading up Zay Jones? Or trading for Kelvin Benjamin? Or signing Trent Murphy? Or repeatedly trying to make Peterman a thing? 

you know it’s ok to love a team and question a few decisions. And I don’t think I’ve seen one post not saying Matt isn’t a good player. But he does have some health concerns (tough dude but he is undersized) and even with the “discount”, it’s a lot of money that some think could have been used for something else that might be a bigger need. 

what’s up with our society that everyone just wants to live in echo chamber of the same thoughts? 

So your gonna cling to what happened three years ago? And ignore his taking the blame for screwing up, and then doing a far better job after that? 

No GM is perfect, we all know that,  but by all measurable standards the Bills have been doing really well in player acquisitions (draft & FA) over the last two plus years, and the trend is that it will continue as such. Beane’s success percentage is top five in the whole damn league, I’m not gonna search for it but there was a thread comparing all the teams success percentage a week ish back and showed this to be the case.  Anyway, it’s gonna be an exciting off season, with much happiness and gnashing of teeth, enjoy it. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, everyone does. I am just saying you are allowed to question things and not totally agree with everything.  And it’s ok. 

Not arguing at all. My point was clear. These negotiations are not one and done deals based solely on market value as so many on here like to imply, predict or lament. The market changes by the year, and maybe by the hour at this time in the offseason. What seems like over paying today, can seem like a steal in a month or two. I’m honestly amazed that an NFL GM sleeps at all. They’ve got to be under tremendous pressure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

So your gonna cling to what happened three years ago? And ignore his taking the blame for screwing up, and then doing a far better job after that? 

No GM is perfect, we all know that,  but by all measurable standards the Bills have been doing really well in player acquisitions (draft & FA) over the last two plus years, and the trend is that it will continue as such. Beane’s success percentage is top five in the whole damn league, I’m not gonna search for it but there was a thread comparing all the teams success percentage a week ish back and showed this to be the case.  Anyway, it’s gonna be an exciting off season, with much happiness and gnashing of teeth, enjoy it. 

And no said he hasn’t been. Some of you get too sensitive about things.  There has not been one negative thing said about Milano the player. The only question (for discussion since this is a discussion board) is could the money have been spend in another way to help the team out more.

I mean we could have a cult here and just all say how awesome everything is all the time (and it’s been an awesome time to be a Bills fan no doubt).  But personally, I like differing opinions if they are rational. So saying Milano is a very good player but could the money be used for a more premier position is a fair discussion and it has been a fairly reasonable back and forth. JMO. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Not arguing at all. My point was clear. These negotiations are not one and done deals based solely on market value as so many on here like to imply, predict or lament. The market changes by the year, and maybe by the hour at this time in the offseason. What seems like over paying today, can seem like a steal in a month or two. I’m honestly amazed that an NFL GM sleeps at all. They’ve got to be under tremendous pressure. 

Oh I definitely agree with that. I think some of the projections of what Milano could have gotten on the open market are a little off because the cap went down and there are going to be more quality FAs because of all the cuts teams have to make. 

but for sure, GM is a really tough job and we have a very good GM.

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This post doesn’t make sense to me. McBeane have done an amazing job. But you couldn’t question trading up Zay Jones? Or trading for Kelvin Benjamin? Or signing Trent Murphy? Or repeatedly trying to make Peterman a thing? 

you know it’s ok to love a team and question a few decisions. And I don’t think I’ve seen one post not saying Matt isn’t a good player. But he does have some health concerns (tough dude but he is undersized) and even with the “discount”, it’s a lot of money that some think could have been used for something else that might be a bigger need. 

what’s up with our society that everyone just wants to live in echo chamber of the same thoughts? 

Isn’t his cap hit this year like 7 mil? The larger money doesn’t kick in until the cap gets elevated after this year and the guy missed 4 regular season games in 3 seasons before this season. I personally think all the injury concern talks are wildly overblown. 

Like you said, there are plenty of opportunities that you can legitimately question the FO. I’m failing to see how this is one of them. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Good player, and seems like a fair deal for both sides money-wise.  I am tired of crappy TE coverage, though... and missed tackles, guys getting plowed through, dragged, run over, etc.  Not putting that all on Milano, but I was looking at his spot as an opportunity to tweak the roster.   Not complaining he's back, but between injury history and the above, I'm feeling this one about a 4 out of 10 on the inspiring signings scale.  

1 minute ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Good player, and seems like a fair deal for both sides money-wise.  I am tired of crappy TE coverage, though... and missed tackles, guys getting plowed through, dragged, run over, etc.  Not putting that all on Milano, but I was looking at his spot as an opportunity to tweak the roster.   Not complaining he's back, but between injury history and the above, I'm feeling this one about a 4 out of 10 on the inspiring signings scale.  

To be fair to Milano, a LB covering TEs is pretty much always a terrible match that every team with a good TE will try to target. I think Milano is definitely one of the better cover LBs in the nfl.

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Isn’t his cap hit this year like 7 mil? The larger money doesn’t kick in until the cap gets elevated after this year and the guy missed 4 regular season games in 3 seasons before this season. I personally think all the injury concern talks are wildly overblown. 

Like you said, there are plenty of opportunities that you can legitimately question the FO. I’m failing to see how this is one of them. 

So we just aren’t counting this season? How does that make sense? You can’t just ignore seasons in the nfl. He is a smaller guy at his position. I love the way he plays but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he has missed 12 games while Tremaine has missed 1 at a a much more physical position. 

these are small nitpicks on a really good player.  I won’t want to pay an OLB big bucks unless they are an elite pass rusher.  But again, Milano is a very good player. 

1 minute ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Like this. Instead of using a high draft pick to replace Milano, we can now spend it to bolster a position of need like DE,CB or dare I say..RB!

We have spent 3rd picks on rbs in back to back years. That’s a huge investment in rbs in this era of football. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And no said he hasn’t been. Some of you get too sensitive about things.  There has not been one negative thing said about Milano the player. The only question (for discussion since this is a discussion board) is could the money have been spend in another way to help the team out more.

I mean we could have a cult here and just all say how awesome everything is all the time (and it’s been an awesome time to be a Bills fan no doubt).  But personally, I like differing opinions if they are rational. So saying Milano is a very good player but could the money be used for a more premier position is a fair discussion and it has been a fairly reasonable back and forth. JMO. 

Oh I definitely agree with that. I think some of the projections of what Milano could have gotten on the open market are a little off because the cap went down and there are going to be more quality FAs because of all the cuts teams have to make. 

but for sure, GM is a really tough job and we have a very good GM.

Don’t misunderstand me, it’s just that some here expect our GM and HC to be perfect and when they are not the “ I told you so” nonsense rears it’s head, humans don’t do perfect, and back and forth debates really do need to reflect that fact. I fully expect Beane to have at least one or two acquisitions that don’t pan out every season, it’s a given imo, 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So we just aren’t counting this season? How does that make sense? You can’t just ignore seasons in the nfl. He is a smaller guy at his position. I love the way he plays but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he has missed 12 games while Tremaine has missed 1 at a a much more physical position. 

these are small nitpicks on a really good player.  I won’t want to pay an OLB big bucks unless they are an elite pass rusher.  But again, Milano is a very good player. 

an injury plagued season can happen. plenty of players have had at least one year where they missed a bunch of games. i guess that makes them a concern too? the point is how about we look at the big picture instead of just ONE season when we form a narrative. the dude missed 4 freaking games in 3 seasons before this and now all of a sudden he has one season where he misses a chunk and its a concern..... you dont see an issue with that thinking?.... and again, 7 mil is big bucks? by the time his 11 mil a season kicks in the caps will be massive again.

again, i feel to see how theres much, if anything, to complain about with this signing. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

Maybe we need to wait for the contract details.. but wasn't this board previously touting 10mil/year for Milano as walk-away from the table money?

I think what you’re saying is right, but that was with the belief that 10 mil would be on the books this coming season, which would have complicated what to do about Williams, Feliciano, etc.  which is fair to criticize .  Since finding out that only 7 mil is on the books this year as a result does improve things when it comes to that. Now I’m thinking if we can’t Sign Williams and/or Feliciano etc, the  Milano deal really isn’t the driving factor now . 

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

To be fair to Milano, a LB covering TEs is pretty much always a terrible match that every team with a good TE will try to target. I think Milano is definitely one of the better cover LBs in the nfl.

And, I think the real issue is.. where’s our TE that makes it tough on opposing LB’s to cover them? 

• Like (+1) 1

This is a great deal for all sides. 

The guys on WGR brought up a great point this morning: everyone said over the last year that there was probably no way the Bills could keep White, Dawkins and Milano. 

Not only did we keep all 3, but the cap is not too tight, especially considering the drop. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Can you point out his lack of availability beyond this season? You referenced it twice...  what other long significant stretches did he miss in past seasons? 

He broke his fibula in 2018. It happened late in the season so he only missed the last handful of games but obviously would have been much more if the timing of the injury was towards the middle or beginning of the season.

Back to back years with games missed with hamstring injuries after that season. This year being the worst in terms of games missed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I did not see this posted above, but I didn't read all 26 pages in fairness.  This is  breakdown by Matt Warren prior to the signing based on recent comparable LB deals. 13+ million was expected .. so we did get a nice discount.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/2/2/22260683/contract-projection-for-buffalo-bills-linebacker-matt-milano-2021

Yea on the market $12.5-13.5m AAV was my thinking. He has left a bit of money on the table to stay in a scheme he knows and fits and that is a sensible move because Milano is not a scheme fit everywhere. He isn't even a scheme fit in every type of 4-3 base. There are about 10 teams in the league where I think he really fits what they do and I think had he gone to somewhere that doesn't suit his skillset he might have been one of those big FA disappointments who is cut after 2 seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gambit said:

Still have to score on that defense that smacked us around. 

That is our biggest problem. Our offense is one dimensional. Part of growing out of that will be the continued development of Allen which I am sure will continue to happen. We need to utilize the RB's and TE's in the passing game more.

5 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

late response on this I know ... but I would argue that this move, in comparison to releasing your entire O Line as the Chiefs just did, does get us closer to beating them.

We have to hope the Chiefs defense loses some key pieces in their secondary. Their defense is designed to specifically shut down the way we run our offense through our WR's. We either have to change the way we play offense or hope they change the way they play defense. 

• Like (+1) 1