Why Mahomes is Mahomes

zow2

32 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

#87 and #10

And Andy Reid has pretty much always had good QB's and offenses. He made McNabb a star. Alex Smith had a career year with Reid, Kelce and Hill. 

Yes, Mahomes is talented in his own right but he's been eating from a golden plate since day 1.

Remember when #87 and #10 were on the team in 2017 and Alex Smith threw for a career high 26 TDs?  Mahomes threw 50 the next season and 28 of them were to players other than those 2 guys.  In fact only 3 were to players who didn’t play with Smith.  Any guesses who caught those other 3, Mr. Rib?

Edited by Billl
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s faced very little adversity. 
Hill has barely missed more than 2-3 games and stayed healthy. Kelce is mostly always healthy. He has the perfect setup. Always has since day one. I think people forget how great that team looked with Alex smith sometimes. 
Of course he’ll still be good without those guys but I doubt they dominate the league if Kelce tore an ACL or Hill broke an ankle or something. 
He’s human. He throws a lot of bad balls too. He’s a top 5-10 quarterback with just about any supporting cast but he’s not just sooooooooo much better than any other quarterback to ever play after 3 seasons. I don’t want to take away from his accomplishments cause he still had to execute the offense and make those throws. There’s a happy medium to OH MY GOD HE IS THE BEST EVER and he’s a product of the team. 

It’s true he gets a lot of time, his guys are usually schemed wide open and there are a lot of plays designed by Ried that maximize talents and mismatches. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Billl said:

Remember when #87 and #10 were on the team in 2017 and Alex Smith threw for a career high 26 TDs?  Mahomes threw 50 the next season and 28 of them were to players other than those 2 guys.  In fact only 3 were to players who didn’t play with Smith.  Any guesses who caught those other 3, Mr. Rib?

I don't deny Mahomes is elite. But I also know he's had arguably the best offensive personnel AND play caller/designer since he came into the league. 

Is it wrong to admit both?

56 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

One of those things is not like the others. 

Right .. but he's still a threat you have to account for. Which opens things up for Mecole and Tyreek, etc

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Sammy Watkins?  He’s nowhere near in the same league as the rest.

If anything Mecole Hardman is better

I agree, someone of his talent/speed has to be accounted for so it opens things up for the others. 

25 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Right .. but he's still a threat you have to account for. Which opens things up for Mecole and Tyreek, etc

I agree, someone of his talent/speed has to be accounted for so it opens things up for the others. 

You can say the same thing about just about anyone on their roster.  At this point in his career, he’s hardly a player teams need to game plan for.  Let Sammy Watkins beat a team, go ahead

.....as if you all want to hear it....another Mahomes advantage....he's a grounded family man...married to his HS sweetheart (who he can trust completely) ...she's pregnent with their first child....they bought the womens soccer team in KC...he bought a piece of the Royals...they've set down roots....but the thing that just came up this week....Mahomes bought land in KC...buidling a new house and full size football field with lighting etc....to working and practice with his teamates whenver he wants.

Mahomes is going to be one of those guys like Manning....that demands his guys compete ant practice..and he has the credentials to pull that off.  He's a 24/7 football eating breathing and drinking machine.   

• Eyeroll 1

48 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

.....as if you all want to hear it....another Mahomes advantage....he's a grounded family man...married to his HS sweetheart (who he can trust completely) ...she's pregnent with their first child....they bought the womens soccer team in KC...he bought a piece of the Royals...they've set down roots....but the thing that just came up this week....Mahomes bought land in KC...buidling a new house and full size football field with lighting etc....to working and practice with his teamates whenver he wants.

Mahomes is going to be one of those guys like Manning....that demands his guys compete ant practice..and he has the credentials to pull that off.  He's a 24/7 football eating breathing and drinking machine.   

If you have an in-road to speak to him...for the love of god tell him to throw in a salad once in a while.  Bowel obstructions are no joke.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's the most naturally gifted passer the NFL has ever seen and it's not really close.    

He also doesn't have any negative characteristics that could be his downfall.

If he stays healthy the top QB spot is his to lose for the next 10 years.

It's not?

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's the most naturally gifted passer the NFL has ever seen and it's not really close.    

He also doesn't have any negative characteristics that could be his downfall.

If he stays healthy the top QB spot is his to lose for the next 10 years.

Yeah but we have Tre White so there!  🙂

Edited by Bill from NYC

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

Saw him in an interview, and he's talking about how cool it would be to be the repeat champs, etc..  He's excited for it.  He wasn't being cocky or arrogant, but he just has a confidence and swag about him.  The guy is not rattled whatsoever by the big stage and the big moment.  He knows going in that he will play well, it's not even a question.  That combined with his arm, athletic ability and QB IQ, is a pretty lethal combination.  

Yeah, it's just sad that because they're going to be so good for so long, Bills fans will start hating him (if they don't already).

He already is notorious for being passed on by the Bills, so the more he wins, the more people think "could that have been us?" but to see him have an easy time against the Bills in-game, his success will just turn him into a Tom Brady-like heel to our fans.

Being a Texas Tech guy, I've always loved his attitude & watching him play. Talk about a guy who is used to throwing in the wind, it wasn't an issue for him in the insane winds in Lubbock. The thing that makes him really great is you can tell the stage is never too big. He doesn't feel that extra pressure. Not from the fans, the moment, the opponent, the hype, etc.

Glad Josh is coming into his own though. Even if he never reaches the same heights, a single Super Bowl win (or even appearance) would mean the world to me & other Bills fans. I'm still hoping it doesn't end up being a Wentz or Goff situation where he's great for a year, then falls back down to earth, but I have to think his work ethic is what will keep him improving instead of falling apart. Josh holds himself to a high standard, which means he will bust his ass to improve. 

I just hope the one thing he learns from Mahomes is to drown out the hype, the pressure & the moment, and just comfortably play his game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not?

I mean, he sat on the bench 1 year, then gets his first year as a starter (same year as Josh) and throws for 5,097 yards, 50 TD's, is named the MVP, and was beating the Patriots in the AFCC when he left the field. 

Since then, won a Super Bowl and lead his team to another. If he starts his first 3 seasons with a 5,000+ yard/50 TD year, MVP selection, Super Bowl win, SB MVP, and ANOTHER SB win...yeah, that is unprecedented. 

I can think of some pretty great starts to a career, but this is another level. AND the way he does it needs to be remembered. You now see other QB's trying to do no-look passes, passing with their non-throwing arm, back foot/cross body passes to the center of the field, etc. just to see if they can get away with it.

Josh can sometimes, but the majority of other QB's couldn't...and not as naturally as Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I mean, he sat on the bench 1 year, then gets his first year as a starter (same year as Josh) and throws for 5,097 yards, 50 TD's, is named the MVP, and was beating the Patriots in the AFCC when he left the field. 

Since then, won a Super Bowl and lead his team to another. If he starts his first 3 seasons with a 5,000+ yard/50 TD year, MVP selection, Super Bowl win, SB MVP, and ANOTHER SB win...yeah, that is unprecedented. 

I can think of some pretty great starts to a career, but this is another level. AND the way he does it needs to be remembered. You now see other QB's trying to do no-look passes, passing with their non-throwing arm, back foot/cross body passes to the center of the field, etc. just to see if they can get away with it.

Josh can sometimes, but the majority of other QB's couldn't...and not as naturally as Mahomes.

A tiny fraction of his passes are these trick passes.  Those don't make him the greatest passer by far in the history of the NFL.

He has yet to lead the league in passing yards.  Brees did it 3 years in a row and 8 times total, twice passing 5200 yards and 4 times of the 8 were over 5000 yards.

Marino, in his 1st year as full time starter (also his 2nd year in the league), he threw for 5084 yards and 48 TDs.  He made the PB his first 5 seasons in the league and was an All Pro in years 2,3,4.   In their first 3 years as starter, they both threw for just under 14,000 yards, Marino 122 TDs and Mahomes 114.  This was 37 years ago.........

Mahomes is a great passer on a team that passes a lot to a bunch of very good receivers.  The best passer ever (and not even close)?  Not yet...

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Agree 2

What makes Mahomes an unusual talent and therefore special is that much like a short stop he can throw the ball with accuracy from almost any platform. It frustrates defenses to no end. Just when they think they have him trapped, he tosses, or fires the ball to a receiver who just a split second ago was covered. Most other QBs are typically running for their lives by that point.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1