Why Mahomes is Mahomes

zow2

On 2/1/2021 at 3:42 PM, jeremy2020 said:

One of those things is not like the others. 

Dude can’t stay healthy and will never live up his draft status. But he was their leading playoff receiver last year and is a threat on the field. He’s been a starter (when healthy) for 3 straight SBs.  Shame he is made out of glass. 

20 hours ago, Success said:

You don't think Allen has self confidence?

Gotta disagree on that one.  Allen plays w/ almost 100% confidence, imo.  I never see him really hesitate.

The only slight thing I’ve say to this and it rarely happened this year, but there were a couple of games where you can tell Allen got rattled.  It happens to almost every qb except Mahomes because he could be down 35-0 and still might come back. 

• Agree 1

On 2/1/2021 at 2:02 PM, Nextmanup said:

We need a thread for this?

Come on, man.

Maybe if he sees this has gown 7 pages long so far, he gets motivated enough to start a new one selling ¨Why Allen is Allen¨ ... or sort of

On 2/1/2021 at 2:05 PM, zow2 said:

Saw him in an interview, and he's talking about how cool it would be to be the repeat champs, etc..  He's excited for it.  He wasn't being cocky or arrogant, but he just has a confidence and swag about him.  The guy is not rattled whatsoever by the big stage and the big moment.  He knows going in that he will play well, it's not even a question.  That combined with his arm, athletic ability and QB IQ, is a pretty lethal combination.  

Got to give you props for the prediction, he was an essential part of a lethal combination 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/3/2021 at 4:06 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

The only slight thing I’ve say to this and it rarely happened this year, but there were a couple of games where you can tell Allen got rattled.  It happens to almost every qb except Mahomes because he could be down 35-0 and still might come back. 

Well, this aged well.  Mahomes is a great player but he sure looked a bit rattled today.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, this aged well.  Mahomes is a great player but he sure looked a bit rattled today.

Lol i loved the notion in the OP that a guy looking calm answering softball interview questions means he's gonna be calm on the field when his big name players aren't getting open and his offensive line can't pass block 🤣 id be calm too if I knew when a play broke down i could just float a ball near kelce or hill and they'd probably make the play but apparently it's possible to take all that away as a defense  

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/3/2021 at 5:06 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude can’t stay healthy and will never live up his draft status. But he was their leading playoff receiver last year and is a threat on the field. He’s been a starter (when healthy) for 3 straight SBs.  Shame he is made out of glass. 

Allen never really looked rattled to me this year except for the first quarter against the chiefs he looked pretty amped up and missed a few throws high.  He's a master of the whole 'everyone on my team letting me down and I have to make plays myself to try to win the game' scenario as thats what most of his career has been so far lol. Mahomes is rarely in that scenario where he can't evade the pass rush and find someone more or less wide open but boy did he find himself there tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Wow...

So much hyperbole to reflect upon after such a poor effort today 

Lol the supposed greatest football player to ever walk the face of the earth has now looked pedestrian at best for 75% of the super bowl quarters hes played on a team that is now over the salary cap and his big mega deal kicking in next season.  Listening to Tony romo talk about how he could challenge Tom brady's career resume while the chiefs were getting absolutely annihilated by Tom Brady was pretty surreal.

• Agree 2

I don’t see it as getting rattled rather than he is so confident in his arm and players, he thinks he can keep running back and evade the rush.  His tackles are put in a bad spot, as many know guys like Brady move well in the pocket, but they help their tackles stepping into the pocket.  Not me saying it, but Cosell on matchup the weekend if the Bills/Chiefs game.  In that game though, our edge guys couldn’t get in fast enough and it was our guy Allen doing the same thing.

Mahomes is a great QB, maybe, currently, the best in the NFL. However, If what Allen did against Houston last year was widely considered a "meltdown," then this should be the intro clip for all analyses regarding Mahomes' performance last night...

On 2/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, ScottLaw said:

People just looking for an excuse because Allen isn't Mahomes.... the best QB in the game. 

I guess being the beat qb in the game sometimes isn’t enough huh???

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Mahomes got beatdown by his daddy:

If Brady would have faced the pressure Mahomes faced last night he would passed out on the geritol by halftime. No comparison. The beat down was the Tampa oline vs the KC oline. One got it done, the other didn’t.

Loved watching Mahomes look like Sugar High Josh.   He won’t be talked about like that this week, but it goes to show you how a dominant D line can make any QB look average.  He was running wild, throwing wild and looked every bit flustered. Every zig and zag he made he had a Buc chasing or closing in on him.  

Here’s a new stat for me. 

according to NextGen Stats, Mahomes scrambled for 497 yards BEFORE throwing the ball.  Nice.  

Edited by wjag
  • Agree 1

Another thread it’s fun to come back and revisit.  This Super Bowl can be remembered as “The Mahomes Meltdown” — running backwards, making desperation heaves...and he STILL had Romo licking his balls.  So much for “Mahomes is Mahomes because you’re never out of it.”  Everyone watching that game knew it was over in the 3rd quarter.

For someone talked about as the GOAT as regularly as Mahomes is, tell me the last time a “great” QB had a worse performance on the biggest stage of all.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, eball said:

For someone talked about as the GOAT as regularly as Mahomes is, tell me the last time a “great” QB had a worse performance on the biggest stage of all.

Reminded me of how helpless Manning looked against the Seahawks in his Super Bowl loss.  A big bad defense can do that to even the best of QBs.

This game reaffirmed one thing to me (in over 50 years of watching football)... that a solid defense and good coaching schemes can take away or minimize the biggest offensive threats.  The Bucs neutralized Mahomes, Kelce and Hill.  That was the plan, and they executed it.