Bills roster: under contract, RFA, UFA (Sal C tweet)

I guess this is why a good draft will be more than ever important this year, as it replaces expensive players with cheap talent. I think we are slated to have seven picks, which could make a huge difference in this calculation. This will be an interesting off-season.

One thing I do wonder is this: if most teams are in the same position as the Bills, there will be a lot of free agent talent and an insufficient number of teams with $ to sign the talent. That could mean that free-agent players will need to take pay cuts just to work. We might also see teams renegotiating contracts at a lower rate, on the understanding that the player will otherwise get cut (and have a difficult time finding a new team). Just speculating.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Tolstoy said:

I guess this is why a good draft will be more than ever important this year, as it replaces expensive players with cheap talent. I think we are slated to have seven picks, which could make a huge difference in this calculation. This will be an interesting off-season.

One thing I do wonder is this: if most teams are in the same position as the Bills, there will be a lot of free agent talent and an insufficient number of teams with $ to sign the talent. That could mean that free-agent players will need to take pay cuts just to work. We might also see teams renegotiating contracts at a lower rate, on the understanding that the player will otherwise get cut (and have a difficult time finding a new team). Just speculating.

I suspect a fair amount of this.  Do you take a paycut for a guarantee in 2022 instead of being released?

Example - base salary if 10m and you have a 2.5M bonus that was already paid so your cap is 12.5, and your dead is 2.5.  If you hit the market, you won't get 10 - you may get something like say 5.  There's also possibly a limited amount of interest from teams, if you are cut after the initial frenzy you may only have a couple of interested teams. 

You negotiate to lower your cap hit to 2.5 base salary in 2021 and maybe convert some money to 2022 base salary.  Throw in a roster bonus for 2022, maybe some performance escalators, guarantee some base salary for 2022.  The idea being... i don't want to take a paycut, get hurt, and tank my value beyond 2021 - a cheaper extension gives you a bit more security.  

Some of those guys I really like but we will have to say goodbye to some. I have a feeling Marlowe is gone. I really liked his game and will miss him if he leaves.

6 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

The Cap will tell us who stays.  I think Roberts is gone, and bills go back to Mc Kenzie for returns.  He really is a returner and a receiver.

I think you are right.

Edited by Beast

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Coach Sal tweeted a useful spreadsheet of the Bills players under contract, restricted FA and unrestricted FA (blue) next year.

Thought it would be interesting to look at.  If I missed this elsewhere LMK.

Discuss.

image.thumb.png.691a51f58bc6fcacda65858423d73c57.png

Who/What position are your priorities? 

Recall that RFA gives the team a chance to match a contract offer to the tendered player, or to get a draft pick if they can't/don't match.  The choices of tender are 1st, 2nd, or original round so it's not much help with a player signed from a late round or UDFA.

Priorities to re-sign:

Corey Bojorquez.  He can be maddening, but he can also coffin-corner and turn aside a team's attempts to flip the field.

Daryl Williams.  If the question is "who can play RT?", I don't think Cody Ford is the answer.

Matt Milano.  We may not afford him, but try.

Isaiah McKenzie.  Has that quickness you can't match.

Jon Feliciano.  I hesitate here.  It will depend upon what he wants, but he's the perfect backup center and (both sides) guard

Ike Boettger.  I hope he's depth, but I'm not sold on Cody Ford making it through a season at this point.

Nice to have, make an offer:

Andre Roberts

Dean Marlowe

Andre Smith

Matt Barkley (I think they hope Fromm is the long-term center, but competition is good)

So long:

Trent Murphy

Josh Norman

Brian Winters

Ty Nseckhe (if we can re-sign Williams, and depends on what they think of Bates as a Tackle)

Jordan Devey

Tyler Kroft

I’m a bigger believer in Webb than Fromm simply because he has more physical talent. He impressed me in the Cal games I watched too. The Bills did talk him up late in the season, and maybe that was for a reason.

Edit: Not a bad read: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-davis-webb-has-become-the-most-intriguing-qb-prospect-in-the-nfl-draft/

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So this is alot of Captain Obvious stuff, but it will be interesting to see who is resigned from the aspect of what those players are willing to sign for.

Ty Nsekhe is an interesting dude. He's 35, he signed in Buffalo for 2 for $10 mil. Where does he go from here? Does a 35 yr old want to play for a "bad" team as 16 game starter or come back to Buffalo as a swing Tackle? Depending on what he is looking for in $, he would be a valuable reserve.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I would let roberts walk. 
Kick returns are getting rare, Hyde worst case scenario can handle punts. McKenzie as well. I’m just over the special teams only players at this point. We value versatility all over I’m not sure why we can’t get a receiver or running back who can handle returns and also contribute on the offense. Taiwan Jones could play offense they just chose to never use him. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I’m a bigger believer in Webb than Fromm simply because he has more physical talent. He impressed me in the Cal games I watched too. The Bills did talk him up late in the season, and maybe that was for a reason.

Well, for starters, and I hadn't appreciated this, Webb has that size trait you can't coach - he's almost the same size as Allen, and he has some athleticism.

Webb was drafted in the 3rd round, and Fromm in the 5th round, and maybe that was for a reason.

Webb was said to have looked better than Fromm in camp.  The knock on Davis Webb seemed to be that he lacked accuracy.  Well, as we've seen, accuracy can be improved with the right kind of effort.

One scouting report said

Player Comparison: Matt Moore. Webb reminds me of Matt Moore in that they both have quality arms with some athleticism. Moore didn't evolve into a starter, but he is one of the better backup quarterbacks in the NFL. I think Webb could end up being similar to Moore.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Coach Sal tweeted a useful spreadsheet of the Bills players under contract, restricted FA and unrestricted FA (blue) next year.

Thought it would be interesting to look at.  If I missed this elsewhere LMK.

Discuss.

I think they look for a cheap back-up at QB as they already have Fromm and Webb.  If they can find someone better cheap - ok, but my guess is they have 3 guys they are comfortable with if needed.

RB they have 4 guys - I don’t know what their thoughts on Wade really are, but my guess is the top 3 set them up and if they can find another cheap vet or a draft pick they will be set.

WR - I think Roberts is gone and they would like McKittrick (LOL) back, but I think like Milano - they will let him look at FA and see what offers he gets.  That is the position they will look to replace either via the draft or FA - speed WR with return ability and can run the jet sweeps.  My guess is it is McKittrick back and we are set.

TE - I know everyone wants better production, but I really think unless someone falls in the draft and can’t be passed up - your TE room is set with the 5 guys they have - assuming Sweeney clears health wise - which I would expect.

OL is a mess and I expect that to get the most attention.  I think they will work hard to re-sign Williams and Mongo to have some continuity, but I expect them to lose depth and need to find depth from the draft or cheap FA.  This is where we need to figure out how to proceed and make sure we protect our QB.

DE - I think Murphy is gone - that leaves you 6 guys - maybe some restructuring of contracts, but I expect help comes from the draft.

DT - I think one or 2 may be cut or restructured to free up money - I think they have some options, but I don’t expect wholesale changes - it will be Oliver/Phillips and hopefully some depth.

LB - I think they want Milano back, but will let him test FA - I think they will be looking for help here - draft picks/veteran FA something to help cover their weakness.  Maybe a cut of a guy like Klein or a restructured contract to help afford others.

CB and Safeties- I think the contracts say it all - UFA’s are gone and they draft for depth.  The numbers are ok in each spot. 

Special Teams - you try to keep them all by re-signing your RFA and they should be set.

I think the team we saw in 2020 will be mostly identical to the 2021 team with minor tweaks along the way.  I do not see many big changes coming as the Salary Cap will prevent that, but I think they will work hard to keep a good group together.

37 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

So this is alot of Captain Obvious stuff, but it will be interesting to see who is resigned from the aspect of what those players are willing to sign for.

Ty Nsekhe is an interesting dude. He's 35, he signed in Buffalo for 2 for $10 mil. Where does he go from here? Does a 35 yr old want to play for a "bad" team as 16 game starter or come back to Buffalo as a swing Tackle? Depending on what he is looking for in $, he would be a valuable reserve.

Ty Nsekhe is someone I totally root for due to his story, and his history of giving back to his community.  In the games where he's had to come in, I thought he's played very well.

When he signed at that figure in 2019, the expectation was he would start or compete for a starting job and he was paid accordingly.  Then we drafted Cody Ford and they platooned.

My impression is that Nsekhe probably can't hold down a starting spot for a 16 game season, but he may want to try.

I would expect them to tender the RFAs, although I don't know what they think of Smith. I also don't know what values they would put on them.

The biggest problem there, is that the 2nd round tender, which I would prefer to use on Boettger and Wallace is expected to be about $3.4 million. I just think you need to find a way to do that, because both guys were undrafted, and have proven to be starters, albeit not necessarily top notch.

The other alternative is to give them proper deals. Boettger might be doable, but Levi is likely to need to be given more than we want atm, so a 2nd round tender is the best option I would say, assuming we want to keep him.

Bojo will likely get a deal, that is less than the tender, but will run for a few. I think he'd be advised to take it, as it isn't as though he should be overworked in this offense. Heck, at the rate he's being used, he might have a 20 year career. ;)

I quite like Norman, but he isn't the player he once was. Cap restrictions will be a 'walk', especially as Gaines will come back, and Jackson has a shot. Not averse to drafting a good CB if the value shows up, but if they tender Wallace, with Gaines coming back and Jackson emerging, I don't think we will be any worse off at a minimum, and might actually be better from the get go. Gaines did well here previously, and if not for Covid, could well have been our #2 CB again last year. He just seems to 'fit' the system.

Guys who I see as definitely gone, are Murphy, Norman, Winters, Devey, Kroft.

Probably, or possibly gone. Barkley, Yeldon, Jones and Roberts. Nsekhe. Marlowe (although I think he will eventually return on the cheap again)

Wanted, but who knows if they can get the deals done - Milano, Williams (they should be priorities tbh), Feliciano, McKenzie.

The likes of Barkley, Jones and Nsekhe, could well get offers, but they will be cheapskate deals, due to the cap/pandemic situation. Much will depend on their respective desires, but I don't see big queues forming anywhere for them anytime soon.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I agree with everything but Milano. I think he’ll want a lot and he’s always injured. I’d like to use that money elsewhere.

its going to be a buyers market in free agency, I think we can upgrade in many spots especially since we’re a contending team and will attract good free agents who want to pad their stats for a year or two. 

Also, I like Mckenzie but if we can get someone like Curtis Samuel instead I’d be happy. We do have the Panthers connection McDermott can lean on. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

Great thread!  I was searching around for this info, and it's good to have it all in one place like this. 

Like others, I agree w/ the recommendations.  I'm a little stronger on keeping Feliciano - love his spirit and versatility, and we have to hang onto those good linemen as best we can.

Unfortunately, I think Milano might be gone.  Someone will offer him a big contract that will be tough to match. With his injury history, it's a little too risky to lock him up at that kind of $ level.

And I don't know why, but I'd love to see them re-sign Norman.  He didn't do too much, but he brought emotion and leadership to the team at times, and just seems like a Bill.

14 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I like him, for the most part. But like some others on that D, he might fit better in a 3-4. Perfect for a 5-tech.

When Star gets back, I cannot imagine they keep three 1 techs (Harry, Star and Butler).   Unless Harry can still go 3-tech (he looking reallly big these days) , I'm thinking Harry goes if Butler dead cap hit is too big.  Anyone know what that is? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

When Star gets back, I cannot imagine they keep three 1 techs (Harry, Star and Butler).   Unless Harry can still go 3-tech (he looking reallly big these days) , I'm thinking Harry goes if Butler dead cap hit is too big.  Anyone know what that is? 

I think Butler, despite his size, is more of a 3-tech, penetrating DT. The Bills were mostly putting guys out of position this past season.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Lol I found myself doing the same when I didn't see Oliver in the game.  

DT to me is the biggest need on the roster.  I am not counting on Star there better be a real plan here.   

DE is a close 2nd.  

Then RB. 

Breaking news we have a D line problem.  

We really really need AJ and Oliver to be significant contributors.  

My sense is AJ will get a great offseason program in and be 100% better next year.   And when Star comes back and takes over the 1-Tech, Oliver will go back to 3-tech full time and be back penetrating and disrupting the way he was drafted to do.   Losing Star this year was a bigger deal than most realize.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, for starters, and I hadn't appreciated this, Webb has that size trait you can't coach - he's almost the same size as Allen, and he has some athleticism.

Webb was drafted in the 3rd round, and Fromm in the 5th round, and maybe that was for a reason.

Webb was said to have looked better than Fromm in camp.  The knock on Davis Webb seemed to be that he lacked accuracy.  Well, as we've seen, accuracy can be improved with the right kind of effort.

One scouting report said

Good info on the Moore comp! Moore was always kind of an ideal backup - the guy that gets you to 2-2 when the starting QB has a separated shoulder or a hamstring injury. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One scouting report said

PS - this is a good read too if you haven't seen it yet: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-davis-webb-has-become-the-most-intriguing-qb-prospect-in-the-nfl-draft/