Milano should have been benched

Back2Buff

2 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Go back and focus on edmunds. He was terrible. Arm tackles which backs and other break , gets stoned at the line , was driven yards backwards by the opponent’s tight ends , drops back all the time behind the sticks or yardage need for a first down and waits for the ball carrier to come towards him as he never drives thru a tackle or hit.  If this is a pro bowl lb , guys like Conan , bennnet, spikes, etc should be HOF by now. Milano does cover well , does make tackles for loss , deflected passes today , and does cause fumbles ( was in on the stop that should have been ruled a fumble today).  Both LBS today were hampered by Frazier’s crazy’s drop back schemes today. 

Other than the whiff on 4th and 1 on Taylor at the end I thought Edmunds was very good. 

Milano did have a really poor game by his standards, although on first look I thought the wide open pass to Doyle was on Tre. 

It's certainly fair to be concerned about Milano's play - not sure what the deal is with so many fans who can't stand some very specific concerns being discussed.

This topic will become a very big deal in the offseason when the Bills have to decide if they are paying him an estimated $13M/year the last time I heard a number for Milano.  Based on his performance this season, and his injury troubles (he's undersized, so it's no surprise he gets hurt), I'd have trouble with him getting a big contract.

He does a lot I like, he plays with great fire and usually when healthy, great speed, but particularly on a team that starts only two LB's, I don't think they can afford to make someone his size be one of the two.

Maybe if they could find an elite NT with size to compensate?

• Like (+1) 1

No doubt, Milano had a bad day.  Watching him @ the stadium, it was pretty apparent that he was being picked on in the passing game.

That one deep TD bust looked like he was actually a Tre White bust, but that aside Milano was consistently beat in the pass game.  Tough day.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

You know our players are going up against really good players too. You don't win every play.  

Just the same we need to play better

I got more appreciation of Rivers

Rivers is not still playing in his 17th season at age 39 because he's a slouch.  He's spent most of his career without a good enough team around him.  He knows where to go and he gets the ball out fast.  In particular, this game plan was designed to help him get the ball out fast.

Reich is a very good coach.  Hindsight gives me a different perspective on how much of the Eagles 2017 offense was Pederson and how much was Reich - we now have 3 years of data saying "just maybe Reich had a lot to do with it.  He sounded VERY confident before the game that he had "solved" us.  He said after the game "I didn't think they could stop us, and they couldn't".  Well, not quite, Frank - you did have two punts, two FG (one missed), and two TOD to go with your 3 TDs, so there was some "stopping you" involved.

Did we make some mistakes on D that we need to fix and put some stuff on film other teams will look to exploit, sure.  But that happens every Sunday.

We also had some stunningly good defensive play, and the higher the stakes were the more it counted.  Reich said in his postgame presser that he was sure the play where our D stuffed them for a 4 yd loss on 3rd down would be a walk-in TD.  The previous down was supposed to be a TD too.  I think it was Hyde who met the RB in the hole and said "me or you, fellow, and it's gonna be ME".

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Yes not his best game. Agree seems like TW blew the coverage on wide open TE TD. A couple plays he was certainly beat on but he also made some plays and  along w Poyer saved the day ( oops not so much). Who exactly should have come in for him? Does the fact they may have out schemed us factor in ? 

If the Colts had won the game, their MVP would have been their O line. That was a championship caliber O line without question. I don't think any defense from any other team would have had success against them. For all the talk about how bad the D played, they showed up when it mattered in the red zone. And they really put the clamp down on Indy's final drive

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

It's certainly fair to be concerned about Milano's play - not sure what the deal is with so many fans who can't stand some very specific concerns being discussed.

There's a difference between discussing very specific concerns, and just dumping on a player with the title of this thread and the OP.

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

There was way more than 1 play.

He jumped Offside in first half which resulted in a huge free play to Indy.

OHMIGOD a player drew a penalty, KILL HIM.  If he jumped Offside consistently in the game, or every game, this would be a problem.  But he doesn't and didn't.

I'm not going to bother with the rest.  You have no idea what lane he was supposed to be in on a blitz and NEWS FLASH: we have rookie RBs who enable key plays by blocking great players like Bosa.    It happens.

6 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

If the Colts had won the game, their MVP would have been their O line. That was a championship caliber O line without question. I don't think any defense from any other team would have had success against them. For all the talk about how bad the D played, they showed up when it mattered in the red zone. And they really put the clamp down on Indy's final drive

Totally!  Once they set the tone against our line, things got tougher on our backers.  They played outstanding and gave their statue QB a clean pocket.  Kudos to that group.  I have zero worries about Milano, save for when my kids finish the bag and I don’t get one.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

All I can say is that when Klein was sent on a blitz, he got home

When was Klein sent on a blitz yesterday?  Klein literally played three (3) defensive snaps.  He had 0 tackles, 0 QB hits, and 0 sacks in those 3 snaps.

If you're comparing how a different player performed against a different OL in different game plan, I'm sorry that is just silly.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Edmunds is an anomaly for sure. I’m not a big fan. He’s around the ball a lot as you’d expect from a MLB, but he’s a head scratcher for me on many plays.

It’s a football chat room. Relax. I’m pretty sure Milano isn’t on here. It’s OK to ‘chat’ about the game. That’s the definition of a CHAT ROOM . 😉

This is a Chat  Room?

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

This topic will become a very big deal in the offseason when the Bills have to decide if they are paying him an estimated $13M/year the last time I heard a number for Milano.  Based on his performance this season, and his injury troubles (he's undersized, so it's no surprise he gets hurt), I'd have trouble with him getting a big contract.

He does a lot I like, he plays with great fire and usually when healthy, great speed, but particularly on a team that starts only two LB's, I don't think they can afford to make someone his size be one of the two.

Maybe if they could find an elite NT with size to compensate?

I totally agree with everything you said here. I really thought Milano had a stinker too...it does not erase the good he's been, but it really needs to be broken down.

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm not sure I have ever seen a worse performance from a LB.  Every single play the Bills were beat on was because of him.

The guy was blitzing the wrong lane, missing tackles, not staying with his man in coverage, and consistently out of position.

They needed to make the switch early to go to Klein and Milano should have been glued to bench.

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm not sure I have ever seen a worse performance from a LB.  Every single play the Bills were beat on was because of him.

The guy was blitzing the wrong lane, missing tackles, not staying with his man in coverage, and consistently out of position.

They needed to make the switch early to go to Klein and Milano should have been glued to bench.

Thank god you are not a Bills coach.

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Let's also be honest with ourselves and notice that this D was best when Milano was a rotational player.  When Milano was playing just 3rd downs, and Klein was playing the majority, this D was rocking.

Good point honestly. I hadn’t really thought of it that way. Klein appeared to be one hell of a good pass rusher when used properly.