Jets, Chargers request to interview Brian Daboll for HC

YoloinOhio

People seem to forget what an utterly dysfunctional dumpster fire the Bills were when McD arrived.

I think that McDermott/Beane have illustrated an effective blueprint of how to build a strong organization out of a completely dysfunctional one. If the Jets, or any other organization, allow Daboll to arrive with his own GM (and, assuming Daboll has someone he thinks he can work effectively with), give them carte blanche on personnel, and building their culture, and are willing to spend the money to follow their priorities, then it really doesn't matter which organization Daboll goes with. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

People seem to forget what an utterly dysfunctional dumpster fire the Bills were when McD arrived.

I think that McDermott/Beane have illustrated an effective blueprint of how to build a strong organization out of a completely dysfunctional one. If the Jets, or any other organization, allow Daboll to arrive with his own GM (and, assuming Daboll has someone he thinks he can work effectively with), give them carte blanche on personnel, and building their culture, and are willing to spend the money to follow their priorities, then it really doesn't matter which organization Daboll goes with. 

Be a hell of a thing to have on your resume if you succeed. Some people would want the challenge. On their terms of course. 

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Jets, Chargers request to interview Brian Daboll for HC

There’s a chance, though likely a small one, that he really enjoys his current position.  

He’s pretty much always been an OC and maybe his personal (vs team) goal is to be recognized as this generation of coaches best offensive mind.

Let’s hope.

Never too late for a billboard.

It’s almost anticlimactic Daboll will probably end up in LA.  If he gets it, I’m happy for him.  He’s given us three good years and helped us towards a chance at a championship.

I am with the crew that Dorsey hopefully has been groomed for his next step.  I don’t see McD blowing up the scheme they’ve designed for Allen and crew.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, hemma said:

There’s a chance, though likely a small one, that he really enjoys his current position.  

He’s pretty much always been an OC and maybe his personal (vs team) goal is to be recognized as this generation of coaches best offensive mind.

Let’s hope.

Never too late for a billboard.

Yeah who wants one one of those 5+ million a year head coaching jobs.  

6 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It does happen, but not very often.

‘On February 6, 2018, McDaniels was announced as the new head coach of the Indianapolis Colts.[19] However, McDaniels withdrew from the position on the same day and announced that he had decided to stay with the Patriots.’

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Atlanta is a decent situation. Matt Ryan is there and you can draft and develop a kid behind him. Ownership seems patient

I think this may be a key for Daboll: patient ownership that doesn’t try to override the decisions of hired football minds. Going off that premise I’d imagine the Jets and Jaguars aren’t contenders. The Chargers and Falcons may be the most likely choices.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I feel like he can afford to wait a bit. I wouldn't blame him if he thinks Houston is the perfect opportunity, though

Why Houston ? Great QB but limited draft choices, debatable ownership who ran Gaine out to support BOB, cap issues. LAC is imho by far the best option. JA light QB decent D and skill players-GM he’s know since hs. New stadium 🏟 where 9-7 from 7-9 is very possible. 

20 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Why Houston ? Great QB but limited draft choices, debatable ownership who ran Gaine out to support BOB, cap issues. LAC is imho by far the best option. JA light QB decent D and skill players-GM he’s know since hs. New stadium 🏟 where 9-7 from 7-9 is very possible. 

Division is wide open.

Go to Houston and you have the best QB in the division. A horrific defense that only needs a few pieces to become mediocre. Really just missing picks this year.

I don't think its the best option, but going to LAC means praying to split against the Chiefs every year.

42 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think this may be a key for Daboll: patient ownership that doesn’t try to override the decisions of hired football minds. Going off that premise I’d imagine the Jets and Jaguars aren’t contenders. The Chargers and Falcons may be the most likely choices.

Are the Jaguars viewed as an impatient franchise? They've generally given all of their coaches a very long time to prove themselves with the exception of Mularkey going 2-14 in his one season as a coach. Coughlin got 8 years (granted he was legitimately good). Del Rio got 9 years despite only 2 playoff appearances. Bradley got 3 years despite winning a total of 14 games. And Marrone got 4 years.

I think the Jags are a sneaky good destination; the major drawback is the fairweather fans/London relationship if you view that as a bad thing. But you get to walk into Trevor Lawrence, a boatload of other future picks, and the ability to pretty much build a team from scratch to your liking.

Chargers definitely seem like the most likely for Daboll though.

3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

OCs do fine monetarily... these guys that take the next step aren’t about the money it’s about ascension to the top of the career ladder, climbing that mountain.

he was already over a Mil/yr at Alabama, probably is in buffalo too and has far better job security than making a leap to a new organization, where anything can happen. 

if he moves it’s because he wants to be the guy

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood