With all the vet QBs moving on from their teams this offseason

Upgrade? Vets would want to be starters... Also no, Josh is the heart of this team, his teammates are 100% behind him. It's more can the QB come in and be as good of a teammate as Barkley while being better.... If they were let go they probably are not good to begin with.

Or cost too much money to even want.

If I HAVE to find a new backup send me Mitch Trubisky. 
Kid got a bad deal in Chicago and I blame a ton of that on Nagy who I don’t think is half the offensive genius he was made out to be. Mitch isn’t elite but he might be the best quarterback we can find who has a similar play style to Allen and still has room to grow. 

Locker room likely has very little to do with it.   The big issue is I'm pretty sure Bills won't have the cap space next year to pay an experienced high quality former starter  $4-5m to be a backup (plus, that is more then Josh makes right now... think about that).    Do that and they may be saying goodbye to even more key guys than they already will be. 

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I think at this point JA has established himself as the unquestioned starter for the Bills, and nobody they bring in would be able to change that. If they bring in a more talented QB to back him up I am sure McDermott would explain that he doesn't need to feel threatened.  

I would like to have a QB waiting in the wings who has a little more athletic ability than Matt Barkley.  That way they can keep running the offense in the same way even if JA (God Forbid) goes down with an injury. 

By the same token, I want to be fair to Barkley.  If they do bring in someone else, it should be done within the context of a training camp competition.  Barkley should have the opportunity to compete for his job, and the new guy should have to earn it.

I think we have plenty of room to be able to upgrade our backup QB position.

But it has nothing to do with the big names that are going to change teams after this year.

Those names will not seek backup positions anyway.

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Kid got a bad deal in Chicago and I blame a ton of that on Nagy who I don’t think is half the offensive genius he was made out to be. Mitch isn’t elite but he might be the best quarterback we can find who has a similar play style to Allen and still has room to grow. 

Mitch would be great in a couple years once he completely flames out on any starter potential. For now he is in the same class as Darnold. Guys looking to either keep proving they can be a starter on their current team or a starter on a new team. I would love either Mitch or Darnold once they have firmly given up on their hopes of ever being a starter again. 

Maybe Mariotta?

16 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Most definitely upgrade. I'd love to get an extended look at Webb today because we already know Barkley.

Not sure what you're insinuating about the locker room, but I see no issues.  The players know it's a business.

yeah I would too. Unfortunately Webb is not active today.

24 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

It may come down to economics.  With a tight salary cap they may opt to keep Barkley and spend the $ on OL.

Barkley is a free agent. If he wants to come back he'd need to take a paycut IMO. For the money he got in his last deal I have to think there will be alternatives.

I’m not really sure which QBs are free agents or which ones will get cut/traded, but the most intriguing QB IMO is Matt Stafford. With a team like the 49ers, Raiders or Colts, I think he could do some damage 

36 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

i would take Trubisky as well but Chi may turn around and resign him after all. Then again Mitch may tell them to pound sand and go elsewhere since they didn’t pick up his option. Either way he’s played decent enough recently he’ll want a chance to start whereever he ends up. Won’t get that here.

All backup QB's first option is a place where there's an open competition for the starting QB slot or next where the starter is on shaky ground. i.e. 2019 Tenn with Mariota as the starter so Tannerhill went there.  If both of those options fail, then go anyplace that wants you even if you know the only way you'll get to play is in blowouts, or injury. 

The third group is where the Bills fit in so not exactly getting prime pickings.  Likely either someone no one else wants or someone older maybe with a year or so left in his career