Bills host WR Tanner Gentry for visit.

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Though "you can't go home again"; after the speed of the NFL game and throwing to guys like Diggs, Brown, and Beasley, Josh may find that the routes his buddy Tanner runs looks different to him. 

He would actually be a pretty interesting interview if he came here on how Josh has changed since college.

4 hours ago, mattynh said:

Hope I’m wrong but sign one guy while bringing in two more.  It’s just circumstantial but it feels bad to me.   When is the last time they had three wrs in three days?  Like I said hope I’m wrong.  

Imo, the Bills are preparing for a long playoff run (SB??). They live by the pass and that’s the method they plan to use in a ‘Ya Dance with who brung ya” scenario. We’ve been very fortunate this year regarding overall team health  while developing fine rotational players everywhere except QB.  We have a lethal arsenal at WR but it can all come crashing down quickly with injuries. Getting Josh’s college teammate is a coup as well as a flat out burner. 

Folks, we intend to WIN IT ALL this year! Again, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m thinking that Beane is doing his due diligence with Gentry and Jennings in regards to the upcoming draft. Another speed receiver is considered by some to be a need for the team. Maybe Beane is trying to shore up the position without using a draft pick. Not sure of Gentry speed, but we know Jennings is fast. The pick saved can be used on other needs like CB, LB, TE, EDGE. Remember, wizards never sleep

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Imo, the Bills are preparing for a long playoff run (SB??). They live by the pass and that’s the method they plan to use in a ‘Ya Dance with who brung ya” scenario. We’ve been very fortunate this year regarding overall team health  while developing fine rotational players everywhere except QB.  We have a lethal arsenal at WR but it can all come crashing down quickly with injuries. Getting Josh’s college teammate is a coup as well as a flat out burner. 

Folks, we intend to WIN IT ALL this year! Again, imo.

Yeah at this point it's clear that they can't run the ball well until they've worn out or demoralized a defense by passing all over them for 3 quarters..........so no point denying the strength.    I'm guessing Josh has been throwing to Gentry in offseasons as well as their time in Wyoming so if they are going to pick up a guy who might have to fill in if the whole starting WR corps gets put in covid protocol or some 2020 sh*t like that.....then it absolutely makes sense.

10 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’m thinking that Beane is doing his due diligence with Gentry and Jennings in regards to the upcoming draft. Another speed receiver is considered by some to be a need for the team. Maybe Beane is trying to shore up the position without using a draft pick. Not sure of Gentry speed, but we know Jennings is fast. The pick saved can be used on other needs like CB, LB, TE, EDGE. Remember, wizards never sleep

Might be something there too.    Futures contracts usually start getting signed in the next couple weeks.    

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

If you haven’t learned to expect the unexpected with Josh Allen yet, then I don’t know what to tell you.  

BTW - I’ll help you with your facts:

1) Gentry was never drafted.

2) Gentry was in the XFL earlier this year before the league folded so technically he was on a team.  

EDIT - Gentry was never drafted out of college.  He was drafted in the 3rd round of the XFL draft.  

Gosh, thanks for pointing that out. Makes my case that much stronger.

7 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I suspect we're seeing the Cleveland Browns effect in full operation here.  They lost all four starting WR's to covid.  If it could happen to them it could happen to anyone.  It's almost as if the Bills are assembling a shadow receiving group just in case.

Exactly what I thought.  

• Like (+1) 1

Some of the Josh Allen haters like to say he was only good at Wyoming because he had NFL talent he was throwing to.

Gentry was one of those guys. The dude made some amazing catches flying out of bounds and seemed to get open when Josh was scrambling. 

Big reason the Bills lost to Tennessee this year was passes bouncing off receivers for interceptions. Gentry won't let that happen.

3 minutes ago, BodyBagGame said:

Some of the Josh Allen haters like to say he was only good at Wyoming because he had NFL talent he was throwing to.

Gentry was one of those guys. The dude made some amazing catches flying out of bounds and seemed to get open when Josh was scrambling. 

Big reason the Bills lost to Tennessee this year was passes bouncing off receivers for interceptions. Gentry won't let that happen.

What?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BodyBagGame said:

Hollister, Hill, Gentry. All NFL talent. Josh was running for his life most games he's played.

That Patriots game was the best pass protection I've ever seen Josh have. It was beautiful. 

Hollister is probably the best of the bunch the others are on the bubble.

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Hollister is probably the best of the bunch the others are on the bubble.

And Hollister was barely used.

Hill will eventually get on a team that can run the ball.

I'm just saying what Josh haters have said.

I'm from Wyoming, love the Pokes. Saw Josh Allen do things nobody else can do. Have followed the Bills the last few years and have laughed and loved every minute of it!

Bill's fans are just like Wyoming fans!

1 minute ago, BodyBagGame said:

And Hollister was barely used.

Hill will eventually get on a team that can run the ball.

I'm just saying what Josh haters have said.

I'm from Wyoming, love the Pokes. Saw Josh Allen do things nobody else can do. Have followed the Bills the last few years and have laughed and loved every minute of it!

Bill's fans are just like Wyoming fans!

I'm a Wyoming Bills fan as well and no one was saying that, they were saying the exact opposite of that.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I'm a Wyoming Bills fan as well and no one was saying that, they were saying the exact opposite of that.

Other MWC fans were saying Josh had NFL talent around him. Which is kind of true.

But when you watch him play, you just know.

Hoping Gunner Gentry can do some damage for Wyoming next year.

When the announcers said who Josh Allen was throwing to in the playoffs last year I almost vomited. 

The Bill's shored up the offensive line, got rid of Gore, brought in Diggs and pretend like they are always in the 2 minute drill on offense.

That's when Josh Allen is best.

Someone mentioned I thinks on the Stills thread, Beane is thinking ahead so we don’t have happen to us what Cleveland went through with the contact tracing in their WR room.  I wouldn’t read too much into the implication with Beasely.  It might be a problem, might not.  No point in worrying about it.  Funny this is it was non contact and could’ve happened in practice. Thankfully he walked off on his own.

1 hour ago, BodyBagGame said:

There are no more Josh Allen haters. None worth mentioning anyway. If Gentry truly was a talent, he’d have been Drafted or given a decent NFL opportunity. Not the case. But he works well with Josh so he’s a back up plan.

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

There are no more Josh Allen haters. None worth mentioning anyway. If Gentry truly was a talent, he’d have been Drafted or given a decent NFL opportunity. Not the case. But he works well with Josh so he’s a back up plan.

There are plenty of Josh Allen haters out there still. Don't get jaded this soon.

As far as Tanner Gentry goes, you think the Bears can tell a good receiver from a bad quarterback?

Maybe Kyle Orton could have thrown a decent pass to Tanner Gentry?

2 minutes ago, BodyBagGame said:

There are plenty of Josh Allen haters out there still. Don't get jaded this soon.

As far as Tanner Gentry goes, you think the Bears can tell a good receiver from a bad quarterback?

Maybe Kyle Orton could have thrown a decent pass to Tanner Gentry?

Who tf is jaded and who tf are you? 32 teams have said ‘no’ to Gentry a couple times. Give it a rest.

1 minute ago, BodyBagGame said:

Maybe the Bills don't like guys that can catch the ball?

The only offensive players that have gotten serious playing time in the NFL that Josh played with at Wyoming are Hollister and vaguely Hill he's bounced on and off with the Falcons. Gentry is getting considered for a PS spot in week 17 and the Jets WR core still exists. If you want to say other MW teams said Allen was surrounded by NFL talent then maybe that was true comparatively to them. But nobody in the NFL described his situation like that, if there was NFL talent on his team it was mostly on the defense.

12 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

What goes on when a player comes in?

Would allen throw to a player like stills during the visit?

I ask because maybe they didnt have chemistry or maybe stills is looking for a long term or more money than the bills are willing to give

Or maybe its another practice squad player that knows Allen and this is a nothing burger

I would think Davis Webb would be the QB throwing.

Allen and Barkley need to remain away from anybody that could have a contact trace.

As the emergency covid QB they got Fromm almost locked in a bubble ;) 

6 hours ago, BodyBagGame said:

Didn't know you were an  I am a wanna be NFL talent scout.

Could you recommend I can't recommend a good quarterback and wide receiver for the Bears this year in the draft? Because I lack knowledge on all things.

Apparently they are laxking. (And spell check escapes me). 

Fixed.

Edited by Draconator
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Welp, my “worried about Beasley” light is blinking.

it wasn’t with Stills cause that made sense a month ago. Now it is.

Mine was blinking right after he went down, if it is an ankle strain like I think it is it will take 3 to 4 weeks to come back from and still linger.

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

One has to wonder if this visit has to do with something like Josh Allen’s voice in the organization pulling some weight. 

IE “Beane we need to bring in my old teammate for a look. He could add to us”. 

I just don't see Josh as a guy who would do that (use is "clout" to push for a specific player). That's just not who he is, at least in my opinion he's not "that kind of guy". That's more of a "Marcia" Brady or Troy Aikman move because they're a-holes. I would have to go with @buffaloboyinATL's take on this (see below)  and say it's more of Bean giving courtesy to Josh by looking at a former teammate that he has had chemistry with for a 'as seamless possible" transition in the game dealing with the loss of Beasley if it comes down to that.  

12 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I would assume this is a courtesy to Josh. He and Gentry had great chemistry in college. 

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

The only offensive players that have gotten serious playing time in the NFL that Josh played with at Wyoming are Hollister and vaguely Hill he's bounced on and off with the Falcons. Gentry is getting considered for a PS spot in week 17 and the Jets WR core still exists. If you want to say other MW teams said Allen was surrounded by NFL talent then maybe that was true comparatively to them. But nobody in the NFL described his situation like that, if there was NFL talent on his team it was mostly on the defense.

Except what you just said isn’t even factually correct.  Ever heard of Chase Roullier? You know that guy from Wyoming who delivered the ball to Allen at Wyoming and who has started basically every game that he has been healthy since he entered the league.  You know that guy who is about to be a free agent poised to receive a massive contract.  Guess you don’t consider offensive linemen part of the offense. 

5 hours ago, ColeB said:

If that’s the case, why didn’t they just draft him or sign him as an undrafted free agent?

Because his relationship with the front office and coaching staff is completely different now than it was 2-3 years ago. I would imagine they trust him much more now than they did then. Not to mention, team needs change...

4 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Except what you just said isn’t even factually correct.  Ever heard of Chase Roullier? You know that guy from Wyoming who delivered the ball to Allen at Wyoming and who has started basically every game that he has been healthy since he entered the league.  You know that guy who is about to be a free agent poised to receive a massive contract.  Guess you don’t consider offensive linemen part of the offense. 

That's fair I missed the one O-lineman he had that made it to the NFL.