Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

Well Big Ben is sitting so we might not see much of Allen or the rest of the starters unless they play them for the lead or just a couple of snaps and coast into the postseason. I personally would like to see our back ups beat a 10 win dolphins team.

8 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

super early forcast but looks like its going to snow

Imo Singletary and Moss need to start the whole game. They need reps before the playoffs and we have hardly run the ball this season. 

why do they need reps...they have been playing and practicing all season except Moss was injured a bit

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Well Big Ben is sitting so we might not see much of Allen or the rest of the starters unless they play them for the lead or just a couple of snaps and coast into the postseason. I personally would like to see our back ups beat a 10 win dolphins team.

If Flores sticks with Tua the whole game, I think the fins are in trouble no matter who plays QB for the Bills.  I expect JA to play the first half.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DolFAN93 said:

Flores for sure prefers Tua's passiveness instead of Fitz. I don't think he's a game manager, he's lead multiple game-winning drives already, but I do understand why you feel that way. His play has been on-off. 

That's the next step. As much as I'd like to blame the supporting cast, which is a factor, when will he elevate the team when things aren't looking the greatest? I believe that's why Flores keeps starting him; he's hoping that spark eventually comes on consistently.

From his play as a Dolphin, his arm strength hasn't been an issue. Tua has made those exact throws that Chris stated in his article. Stats only tell a percentage of the story, actually viewing the games fills in the rest. If any other QB threw for 90 yards in a game would you assume they struggled or their arm strength wasn't strong enough to make the throws? 

Time will tell.

No, I wouldn’t assume. It’s blatant that his arm is weak. I’ve watched him play well before he was drafted by the Dolphins. The defenses do not need to cover all parts of the field against him, because he can’t hit all parts. There is little margin for error when you lack arm strength. If he makes a late read and actually attempts to throw the ball (which he’s not doing, look at his YPA), it’s getting picked. There’s no argument here. 

I'm not prepared to say Tua has a weak arm.  What I think I see is a hesitation to throw into coverage at the moment.  I think the play calling reflects that.  And it is never more obvious to me when they put Fitz in.  Fitz's decision making is so much faster and at the moment, more confident.  I think Tua will be fine.  He just needs more reps. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, wjag said:

I'm not prepared to say Tua has a weak arm.  What I think I see is a hesitation to throw into coverage at the moment.  I think the play calling reflects that.  And it is never more obvious to me when they put Fitz in.  Fitz's decision making is so much faster and at the moment, more confident.  I think Tua will be fine.  He just needs more reps. 

I’m looking forward to seeing Tua throw in Orchard Park. The Bills will fully prepare for a dink and dunk passing game. 

With Tua I see a Pennington or Edwards type arm talent. Not great not bad. But anticipation will cover for it. But that will be after game slows down and he understands the difference between College and NFL open. 

I see a Tyrod Taylor (without the legs) as a thrower. Will opt for the safe pass over the open riskier pass. Now the question will be is that Tua or is that being coached into him. Either way it won’t be good enough long term. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

With Tua I see a Pennington or Edwards type arm talent. Not great not bad. But anticipation will cover for it. But that will be after game slows down and he understands the difference between College and NFL open. 

I see a Tyrod Taylor (without the legs) as a thrower. Will opt for the safe pass over the open riskier pass. Now the question will be is that Tua or is that being coached into him. Either way it won’t be good enough long term. 

This. And you’re not going to dominate in today’s NFL, long term, with that style of QB. If the Dolphins had Herbert, I’d be concerned. Him and Allen going at it for years would’ve been Kelly-Marino. That’s not happening with Tua. He’s a game manager, just like Tyrod, and we know exactly what that produces. You might make the playoffs, you might be competitive, but you’re not winning the Super Bowl (barring some fluke set of circumstances). 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

This. And you’re not going to dominate in today’s NFL, long term, with that style of QB. If the Dolphins had Herbert, I’d be concerned. Him and Allen going at it for years would’ve been Kelly-Marino. That’s not happening with Tua. He’s a game manager, just like Tyrod, and we know exactly what that produces. You might make the playoffs, you might be competitive, but you’re not winning the Super Bowl (barring some fluke set of circumstances). 

Yep and there is more than TT that shows that (interesting that Tua is also referred to as TT lol). Need a QB that will take the risk every now and then. When you are scared of a TO you will also be scared to make a throw you need to make. Eventually team catch those offenses see Steelers. 

his passing heat charts look exactly like Taylor’s a Big U. All the “safe” throws. Even the deep throws are safe outside the number throws. A big void in the middle > 20 yards. 

but as a rookie ok that might be what the game plans are. Limit TOs let’s defense keep you in games, maybe even score for you and steal some wins. It has been working for them this year feasting on an easy schedule. However he needs a big step next year or they need to seriously look at another QB. Otherwise they will spin their wheels like they did with Tannenhil there. 

13 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

This...

1507588078_billsgamesquishfish2small.thumb.jpg.68cc0fbfb6b9b595526854249d30d663.jpg

Not quite but close. Forecast calls for a mix of snow and rain with temps in the mid-30s.

13 hours ago, DolFAN93 said:

Thank you. You guys have every right to be confident, but some of y'all are speaking as if we're the Jets or Jaguars. We've had some bad games but have also hung with you guys earlier in the year and were a few missed penalties away from beating the defending SB champions.

Hey, I bet that Miami would be better than the Pats. Flores is a good coach and you have a lot of talent and draft picks. I'm not sold on Tua but you can always grab another QB this draft.

I don't know if I see quite Chad Pennington level rag arm. He had one of the worst arms of any mildly successful QB ever.

I really think Tua's problem is an inability to read defenses, a fear of the pass rush, and resisting the urge to leave the pocket. He's not exceptionally mobile, and does not have the arm strength to make big plays outside the pocket. His fundamentals break down too quickly when pressured.

Tua's in a spot many rookie QBs are or have been. He's got the talent to be solid...but the next level is what most rookies go through; what is his work ethic and drive to overcome the fact he's not Herbert or Lamar? Does he have the intelligence to self-analyze his weaknesses?...the humility to hear it from his coaches... and the resolve to do the work he will need to do to fix?

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, wjag said:

Fitz takes more chances..Tua plays it safe

59 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Fitz has a pretty weak arm. So does Brady. Does not hurt him them so much. 

That being said, I agree Tua seems limited. I dont know if he's the guy. 

There's been more buzz about Allen doing this, but I think quietly, Fitz has been re-working his throwing motion and mechanics the last couple seasons.

He seems to have more "zip" on the ball and to be throwing long balls without that maximum effort.

It wouldn't surprise me if Fitz has had his throwing motion digitally sequenced and focused accordingly, or worked on some of the same rotational throwing stuff that Allen worked on.

30 minutes ago, nucci said:

Fitz takes more chances..Tua plays it safe

I think another way to say that is Fitz is confident in what he's seeing - read and react.  Tua is thinking about it.

This is common with young QBs.  Allen's first 2 years in the league there were complaints about him taking too long to throw.  Still does at times, but getting better.

Paradoxically, it's something you want to see because you don't want early-career Fitzy or Winston just "Bombs Away!".  Allen could have gone down that route but last year after the Pats game McDermott and Daboll had a sit-down with him and he changed state.

2 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I dont love the idea of playing phins 2 weeks in a row. Last time that happened we neefed Frank Reich to turn around the greatest comeback ever. 

There’s a good chance the bills will

be playing the browns. Or colts.

If Dolphins beat the bills presumed backups, they’ll lock up the 5th seed.

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Fins can still get in with a Browns, Colts or Ravens loss even if they lose.

Browns are most likely candidate...Steelers backups have a history of keeping teams out of the playoffs on the road in week 17...

That's like saying the Dolphins have a history of being undefeated...none of the PIT backups were on that historical team. This is a silly take.

5 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Buffalo weather Sunday 1/3.  50% chance of snow, temp 32-37 degrees, wind off the lake.  Tua might not ever come out of the locker room.

It's only fair.  Buffalo had to go to Miami in September and play in that heat and humidity.   

• Like (+1) 3