Some Jets fans angry at punter Braden Mann for making tackle in victory over Rams

HOUSE

As a fan of really good football, I hate the idea of Lawrence going to the Jets and having his career ruined, just like Sam Darnold has, so far.  Lawrence has the talent to be a star but he won't get a chance if he goes to that loser of an organization. 

OTOH if the Jets DID get Lawrence, they'd cut or trade Darnold, who could then join a professional football franchise and we could see what he's got going.  The worst thing is that he goes to New England and Belichick turns him into a great QB.  

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I live in the market n usually listen in the car to sports talk.

Jet fans are furious, depressed and confused. Especially with Josh emerging as a bona-fide superstar,  they are really desperate. I almost feel bad for em. I've been there, we all been there , they'll be ok. 

Did you listen to this?

I was hoping for the most epic rant ever but he was pretty chill about it all.  Maybe in retirement he moved on 

They REALLY need to do like the NHL and have a lottery. What is doing the competition committee that this is an issue every year? No fanbase or team should want to lose deliberately! As it stands now, it makes indeed no sense for them to win, and that's the issue

10 hours ago, jletha said:

I dont quite get it honestly. How often does the consensus #1 overall pick QB work out? Not a ton. Many times the best QB from a class comes later. Just feels silly to get your panties in a bunch over this. Luck was good I guess but not a world beater, never made a SB. Ryan and Stafford are solid but beatable. Kyler, Burrow the jury is still out (but Herbert looks good). 

This is a joke, right?

7 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Of course, Cleveland did it a couple of times....and got Myles Garrent and Baker Mayfield with their #1 picks.  Leaders now on both sides of the ball.  So, the backside of the 0-16 can be good we are seeing further down Lake Erie.  (glad we did 't go that route though)

And most of the players and coaches during those bad years are now gone, so why would the players and coaches have any incentive to contribute to a tank?

14 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I get the fans being mad about losing out on Lawrence, but c'mon...rooting to go 0-16 is just awful.

And these players have pride, are playing for jobs & future contracts, none of them are wanting to be have 0-16 go on their records, so don't s*** on them for still doing their jobs.

It's funny to watch it not be us, but these people needs to keep some perspective lol

I totally get why as a fan you'd want your team to lose more to bring in a guy like that. I was there for most of the second halves of the year during the drought. 

But blaming the players for trying to win? Completely nuts.

It shouldn't have to be said for the eighteen millionth time, but there is no such thing as a tank in the NFL. It doesn't exist, and won't as long as there are no guaranteed contracts. Rebuilds? Yup. From the GM's perspective, this makes sense. But the players and coaches know they're competing for their careers on every play. Their film is their resume and the last thing you want to show is a resume with major recent regression.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think I find it funniest that Jets fans think Darnold is the problem.

Darnold is part of the problem. 

5 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

You don’t play to lose.  The Jet could trade down from #2 - acquire more picks this year and the next year, and add more talent.

and still get their QB a year later...plus they already have a bounty of draft picks from the Adam's trade.  

The Jets are set up well for the next GM/HC pair to succeed with or without Darnold

13 hours ago, Utah John said:

OTOH if the Jets DID get Lawrence, they'd cut or trade Darnold, who could then join a professional football franchise and we could see what he's got going.  The worst thing is that he goes to New England and Belichick turns him into a great QB.  

The Pats** have, in general, done a poor job of succession planning and not just at the QB position. As it stands right now, they won't have a chance at the top QB picks in the draft. Plus, the Tannehill story with and without Gase should make Darnold a fairly hot commodity in the used QB market. With both these factors, Pats** are highly likely to pursue him. The other likely reclamation project is Wentz but I think he is unlikely to regain what little form he showed early in his career.

13 hours ago, Utah John said:

As a fan of really good football, I hate the idea of Lawrence going to the Jets and having his career ruined, just like Sam Darnold has, so far.  Lawrence has the talent to be a star but he won't get a chance if he goes to that loser of an organization. 

This happens all the time.  The Bengals are doing it with Burrow now.  Someone mentioned Luck not winning a SB, but picking him was just about the only thing that front office did right.  They got him no protection and no playmakers to speak of.  It took some time for the previous regime’s players to be replaced but it just got progressively worse every year.  By the time they righted the ship Luck was broken.

That is just the kind of thing that happens with poorly run organizations.  Even when they find quality players they find ways to ruin them.  The Jest are a very poorly run org and they’ll find a way to mess this up.  It doesn’t matter if they have the first pick and take Lawrence, it doesn’t matter if they take Fields with the second pick or if they trade back for a haul.  They’re gonna mess this up somehow. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

The Pats** have, in general, done a poor job of succession planning and not just at the QB position. As it stands right now, they won't have a chance at the top QB picks in the draft. Plus, the Tannehill story with and without Gase should make Darnold a fairly hot commodity in the used QB market. With both these factors, Pats** are highly likely to pursue him. The other likely reclamation project is Wentz but I think he is unlikely to regain what little form he showed early in his career.

It certainly could go that way, but I think in a good situation Wentz could be very good.

No player ever wants to be part of a team that goes 0-16. Most of those players aren't going to be there for that rebuild, why would they care if they help 5 years from now? They want to win and play the best they can.

22 hours ago, Process said:

Is this what it feel like to be a Sabres fan?

Losing out on McDavid was definitely the Trevor equivalent for the Sabres organization.

Everything was aligned.........it was clear for a long time that the Sabres were going to have the most ping pong balls in the lottery..........McDavid is from suburban Toronto.........the Sabres already draw a lot of fans from Ontario and figured to get a bunch more with a local superstar........the Leafs were in a bleak situation, a superstar/success purgatory, and ready to have a generation of young fans poached..........McDavid was living with a family of Sabres fans and pleased with the idea of playing close to home and just assumed that he would end up in Buffalo.

The financial impact alone that it could have had on the Sabres organization was enormous.

Instead they just got this other "very good" player who was a native of a place that FOR SURE nobody in Buffalo wanted their star player to be from.

In fairness to Eichel he's done his best and not requested a trade despite the organizational ineptitude.

And maybe someday it will work out........but that McDavid miss really hurt.    

And McDavid wasn't loving going west to Edmonton and it hasn't exactly panned out great for them either..........but to have the top star in the league be on the Sabres and a local to a good portion of their fanbase would have been massive for the franchise.   

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/25/2020 at 12:05 PM, Big Turk said:

No player ever wants to be part of a team that goes 0-16. Most of those players aren't going to be there for that rebuild, why would they care if they help 5 years from now? They want to win and play the best they can.

I think that depends on the players contract and positions.  If I’m Denzel Mims, I’m praying that we lose so we can get Lawrence.  Same for Becton and most rookie and possibly 2nd year plauers