The Trevor Lawrence Situation

Teddy KGB

2 hours ago, Chicharito said:

I seen a clip somewhere of a new interesting way to settle the #1 pick and tanking debate. The guy says forget the pro bowl nobody watch’s or cares especially one week before the super bowl. Why not take the 2 worst teams and let them play for the right to draft number 1. I wish I could find the clip. I like the idea personally. I think it would get huge ratings!

I bet if the team that lost got the #1 pick it would get even bigger ratings

2 hours ago, Chicharito said:

I seen a clip somewhere of a new interesting way to settle the #1 pick and tanking debate. The guy says forget the pro bowl nobody watch’s or cares especially one week before the super bowl. Why not take the 2 worst teams and let them play for the right to draft number 1. I wish I could find the clip. I like the idea personally. I think it would get huge ratings!

This doesn't work at all.  Say it is Jets vs Jags.  Why would Sam Darnold play a good game and setup putting himself out of a job? For that matter why would any player who has a contract expiring at the end of the year risk injury right before free agency to help a team they won't be on next year?

Well.. Trevor Lawrence may be out of the picture for the Jets but I think Justin Fields is a very good prospect.. but at this point I think they’d ruin any QB they draft.. Trey Lance to the Pats is a scary thought however.. the top 3 QBs this year all look solid to me.. Haven’t had much time breaking them all down but there’s definitely some talent at QB this year..

when does he have to decide?  if the Falcons were to, say, trade Matt Ryan this offseason, I could see him staying in hopes that Atl has the #1 pick.  

That said, Jacksonville is a MUCH better destination than NYJ.  Jax has a #1 RB, and a good WR corp.  NYJ's have none of that, one top of their general dysfunction.  

15 hours ago, msw2112 said:

A lottery might make sense for the NFL.  Perhaps the bottom 3 teams would have their draft order determined by a lottery.  Teams might tank a little bit to get into the bottom 3, but they would be less likely to do so if their odds of getting the top pick were 1 in 3 or less (less if they weighted the odds more for the worse records like the NHL does).  The NHL lottery has too many teams.  I think the NBA's (with which I'm not that familiar) works a little better?

I like the NHL one.  That way it encourages teams not to tank, but your odds increase the worst you are.  It helps teams (like the drought Bills) escape from their eternal 5-7 win seasons.  

17 hours ago, Chicharito said:

So realistically there’d be QBs playing for their team’s right to take their replacement?  With a roster full of players that checked out weeks ago?  That ought to work out great.  It also might encourage more teams to tank since they’d only have to be second worst to have a shot at it.  I don’t think the league wants the scrutiny of a weighted or straight up lottery, but that’s where this likely ends up.  Not a perfect solution, but a way better one than the two worst teams in the league playing an extra game for the first overall pick.

On 12/24/2020 at 7:55 AM, RyanC883 said:

when does he have to decide?  if the Falcons were to, say, trade Matt Ryan this offseason, I could see him staying in hopes that Atl has the #1 pick.  

That said, Jacksonville is a MUCH better destination than NYJ.  Jax has a #1 RB, and a good WR corp.  NYJ's have none of that, one top of their general dysfunction.  

Yeah, the Jags will get healthy as soon as they dump Marrone, but I don’t think the Jets are as bad as you think. If they get the right coach and a decent QB, they could turn things around pretty quickly.  They’ve actually drafted well the past couple years.

On 12/23/2020 at 5:38 PM, 947 said:

I don't even know if the Jets have a #2 on their roster. Mims? could develop into a potential good WR2.

They have PLENTY of #2 on their roster

On 12/23/2020 at 6:33 PM, djp14150 said:

to be fair ..2022 likely different teams. Pats coukd tank.

I think Jags are better than their record. They had QBs injury issues. If new gm does drastic personnel change like a defense flip then they can be bad next year.  This season they actually lost something like 7 games by one score.

early possibke teams picking top 5 in 2022...

Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, New England, Houston

I might disagree with all 5

that's just me, though

Assume the Jets or Jags land Lawrence.  The cupboard is bare in both places, so this kid is going to get KILLED if he goes to either of the J teams.  If I'm him, I stay in school and hope for a better team to draft me first in 2022.  I'd want to avoid a tire fire for the next 4-5 years.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but who wants to play for either the Jets or Jags?  They'd need a complete overhaul in the front office and coaching staff for me to want to play in either place.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:00 PM, section122 said:

This doesn't work at all.  Say it is Jets vs Jags.  Why would Sam Darnold play a good game and setup putting himself out of a job? For that matter why would any player who has a contract expiring at the end of the year risk injury right before free agency to help a team they won't be on next year?

Some ideas sound sooo good....

....until valid points like this come in and wreck it!! :beer: