Did D. Williams Make a LOT of $ Tonight?

Just now, NickelCity said:

Maybe. It depends on priorities. I wouldn't be surprised if we let him walk, as much as I love his play.

I would love them to keep him but paying Dawkins, Morse ( assumed for 2021) and resigning Feliciano for around $6m.. you can’t keep them all!

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I would love them to keep him but paying Dawkins, Morse ( assumed for 2021) and resigning Feliciano for around $6m.. you can’t keep them all!

It simply means we move money from the DL to the OL....Our DL is currently the highest paid front-four. I can't see them carrying that forward next year...I expect to see  Butler, Jefferson, Murphy all gone.   Epenesa and Oliver have to step up along with Star. 

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

It simply means we move money from the DL to the OL....Our DL is currently the highest paid front-four. I can't see them carrying that forward next year...I expect to see  Butler, Jefferson, Murphy all gone.   Epenesa and Oliver have to step up along with Star. 

We get rid of those three and we'll have to replace them with probably two FAs. It would just leave holes. Murphy certainly seems almost certain. Butler and Jefferson considerably less so, though obviously they are both possibilities.

But if you get rid of them, that leaves under contract :

DEs:  Addison, Epenesa, Hughes, Darryl Johnson

DTs: Lotulelei, Oliver and Phillips

Since we run an eight-man platoon, those seven alone would require us to bring in probably three guys, certainly two.

I'm hoping we find a way, but I can't see much chance of keeping Milano, Feliciano and Williams. And Williams is the one who will maybe be the most expensive of the three. My guess is MIlano is the #1 priority of the three. I just don't see them having enough to keep Williams. If they do find enough, it'll likely be by creating new holes elsewhere, holes that will have to be filled one way or another.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Bills are winning by having very good to excellent players in most starting positions, and having injuries heal up at the right time. 

The generally have 8s (out of 10) at lots of spaces.  The few that are better than 8 (Allen, Diggs, Beasley, White) are leaders and get paid like leaders.  The 8s get paid very, very well but not as much as what some other team for whom an 8 is a big upgrade would be willing to pay.  Jordan Phillips was an 8 last year and got the big contract from the Cardinals.  I don't think he's played like an 8 this year. 

The Bills' secret sauce is all those 8s.  Hyde, Poyer, Dawkins, Edmunds, Milano, Very good to excellent players in a lot of positions.  This is a much better model than having one or two 9s or 10s, and a lot of 5s and 6s starting.  The Bills have tried that many times and it doesn't work out. 

The Bills need to keep all their leaders, and as many of their 8s as possible, but it's hard because 8s want to get paid like 9s or even 10s, and there are teams willing help out.  Williams is playing like an 8, and he'll probably follow Phillips somewhere else.  We can't pay him like a 9 or 10.  We should be able to pay him like a true 8, and if he wants to accept that and stick around, that would be just fine.  I just doubt that will happen.

Watt is a 10 and he was neutralized by that 8. You could argue that a lesser RT - a 7 or 6  - yesterday mightve lost us the game. All it wouldve taken was one timely strip sack or Watt having 2-3 drive killing sacks. 

The most i saw of Watt yesterday was him taking a breather on the sidelines. 

Resign Williams. Im more comfortable drafting a starting LB in the 2nd or 3rd rd than i am a top 5 RT in the NFL - which is basically what Williams is. 

Now that we have our franchise QB we need to keep adding to the OL and offense, not subtracting from it. Let McD work his magic on the defensive side. We need to continue to give Allen weapons and most importantly time in the pocket to use those weapons. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Yeah, we need to bring him back.  It sucks the cap is possibly going down. 

I want Milano and Williams back and then write the blank check to Allen the following year 

I think you will see a lot of one year deals because of this.  Its not a Bills problem, it's a league wide problem.

Edited by Billzgobowlin

Beane will put the best O-Line he can in front of his franchise QB.   He knows that as Allen goes, the Bills go.  The O-Line is not the place to start pinching pennies.  I'd rather they release John Brown (I'm sorry Smoke, I think you're great) and use that money to resign Williams. 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, appoo said:

Don't believe the Bills can pay him market value. Over 6 years he got paid 12M, so he's not going to give the Bills a discount ,he'll have earned his first big contract. You're looking at 4 years,  8M+ a year + 9M bonus

~14M

If Williams agrees to $8-9M/year, it's a no-brainer.  I pray that's all he's looking for.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

We get rid of those three and we'll have to replace them with probably two FAs. It would just leave holes. Murphy certainly seems almost certain. Butler and Jefferson considerably less so, though obviously they are both possibilities.

But if you get rid of them, that leaves under contract :

DEs:  Addison, Epenesa, Hughes, Darryl Johnson

DTs: Lotulelei, Oliver and Phillips

Since we run an eight-man platoon, those seven alone would require us to bring in probably three guys, certainly two.

I'm hoping we find a way, but I can't see much chance of keeping Milano, Feliciano and Williams. And Williams is the one who will maybe be the most expensive of the three. My guess is MIlano is the #1 priority of the three. I just don't see them having enough to keep Williams. If they do find enough, it'll likely be by creating new holes elsewhere, holes that will have to be filled one way or another.

Zimmer is a RFA who I'm sure they'll tag.  And I could see them sacrificing Morse for Feliciano.

I think Williams is a guy that you could let go and then sign another player that needs to sign a 'prove it deal'

All assuming he prices himself out of what the bills cap will allow. You can sell a free agent that you come here for a little cheaper, make you look like an all pro and then you can make bank the following year

Its gonna be a weird off season where players are gonna want to play here

I think he's going to cost us John Brown on offense. Can't have both. 

1 minute ago, Da webster guy said:

Morse restructures or he goes.  Astro says Bills scouting college Centers hard this year.

A lot of what happens with Williams is going to be influenced by his play in the post season.  If he continues to ball out I can't imagine Beane not throwing him a legit offer.

Yeah a young center is needed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think he's going to cost us John Brown on offense. Can't have both. 

Yeah a young center is needed. 

Agreed. This offense has been fine without Brown so id let him walk if that means keeping Williams. Williams is in the prime of his career. Allen is a stud and every resource in this franchise has to go into protecting him and giving him weapons.

Could you imagine waiting 30yrs to find our franchise QB and then not giving him a damn OL to protect him or weapons to showcase his talent? 

A stud tackle > good WR in my opinion. Brown is good at what he does but hes a limited WR and replaceable. 

Id resign Williams even if it means Milano has to walk too. Again, we’ve been OK without him. 

First 3 rounds of draft in no specific order:

TE

OL (guard or center)

LB (if Milano leaves - DL or DB if we resign Milano)

we have two 5th rd picks next yr so we can add some quality depth to OL/LB as well 

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

The most i saw of Watt yesterday was him taking a breather on the sidelines. 

Yeah what was the deal with that?  He took himself out, what I thought, a lot in that game.  Even some key downs he was on the sideline

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Agreed. This offense has been fine without Brown so id let him walk if that means keeping Williams. Williams is in the prime of his career. Allen is a stud and every resource in this franchise has to go into protecting him and giving him weapons.

Could you imagine waiting 30yrs to find our franchise QB and then not giving him a damn OL to protect him or weapons to showcase his talent? 

A stud tackle > good WR in my opinion. Brown is good at what he does but hes a limited WR and replaceable. 

Id resign Williams even if it means Milano has to walk too. Again, we’ve been OK without him. 

First 3 rounds of draft in no specific order:

TE

OL (guard or center)

LB (if Milano leaves - DL or DB if we resign Milano)

we have two 5th rd picks next yr so we can add some quality depth to OL/LB as well 

I guess John Brown could also restructure. We'll have to wait and see. We still need that speed element to complete the offense. 

Its great to see Allen and the offense succeed without Brown because it was a worry of mine. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede