New to the Thread

27yanks

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Also, if you want to make a great first impression and show your deep knowledge of the Bills and the players: Start a post asking why the Bills don't give Christian Wade a chance, especially noting how good he looked in those preseason games last year.

And how about a Mike Jasper reference?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 27yanks said:

Signed up 4 years ago, just been reading. Some excellent writes out here. Could someone enlighten me on ROE's for posting, I'd like to not be an embarassment to the wall. BTW just in case your interested, I have a 51 year run with the Bills. 

2 things I learned early 1) make the title meaningful if you are starting a thread 2) do a quick scan to ensure someone hasn’t already posted the topic

1 hour ago, 27yanks said:

Signed up 4 years ago, just been reading. Some excellent writes out here. Could someone enlighten me on ROE's for posting, I'd like to not be an embarassment to the wall. BTW just in case your interested, I have a 51 year run with the Bills. 

I can try.  I've been lobbying for some newbie guidelines to be posted here but the "Round Tuit" hasn't arrived

A look at the guidelines under "Browse" is a good idea.

Posting:

-"Golden rule" covers 95%, assuming you're the type of chap who isn't personally "up" for a "golden shower" (or worse)...If you are, find a different rule - PLEASE

-Be reasonably civil.  If someone is an idiot, assume this is already evident to most here and does not require that you point it out.  Just point out WHY their take is bad.

-If you have a negative or contrarian POV, and state it with some evidence, it's fine.  If you reiterate it with additional arguments or evidence, that's fine.  If you're going from thread to thread just piling on the same 'ol "he sucks" "he's so bad" repetitive take, that's called crusading and it's not OK.  Expect to get warned and eventually tossed on your ear.  In theory, we would also toss people who crusade with endless positivity, but in my 12 years on the board I can only remember this happening once.

-If someone gets personal, don't get into an extended personal back and forth with them.  Maybe answer once, then walk away.

-Respect copyright.  If you're quoting from a published article, provide a link to the source or if print, name the source and author.  Quote limited excerpts, ideally using them to highlight your own thoughts on said article

Starting threads:

-Before starting a thread, scan over the first couple pages and try searching on a couple words.  If there's already a thread that's reasonably appropriate, consider adding to it

-Put enough substance into your OP post to support discussion.  A one or two sentence opinion probably belongs as an add to an existing thread (1-2 sentence Q may be fine)

-Use a title that reflects the content of the thread and isn't just a player's name or ends in ...... with the completion inside the thread

-If you have your own blog or website or content, don't use this board just to self-advertise your site.  After you've established yourself as a contributor and regular participant, well then.  The judgement is "are you a regular contributor here who also wants to share stuff you put up elsewhere, or are you trying to use Scott's board as free advertisement to divert traffic to your own site?"

If you can't figure out how to do something or want to know if something's OK, just ask

Most of us mods try to keep our fangs filed regularly and respond to civil PMs.

We respond to uncivil PMs too, but you may not care for the response heh

30 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

And how about a Mike Jasper reference?

That casts a Big Shadow for sure

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Question for admittance: What does "Belinda" mean?

Belinda was a board member way way back. He/She had uncomfort with posts that were subject line only.

Reaction: When posters would post subject line one only, they would start the post with "Belinda." That way people knew not to click through, which was important in the days of slow telephone modems.

That's my memory at least, Belinda is about 25 years ago.

3 hours ago, 27yanks said:

I like the Guidry world series pic.  

That was a 9 inning gem.

Game 4.......October 15, 1977 in Los Angeles.......4-2 win for Yanks with a Reggie Jackson HR.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Technically, any time you start a thread you are "new to the thread".  The forum is another matter.

Thanks for pointing that out. You are correct

10 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Whatever you do, don't ask anyone here for help with your homework.

Homework!!!

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like the Guidry world series pic.  

That was a 9 inning gem.

Game 4.......October 15, 1977 in Los Angeles.......4-2 win for Yanks with a Reggie Jackson HR.  

Great times!!!

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

So after THAT long, you must be "Done With This Team" after every loss, correct?

Those are the best posts here after games, do that and you'll flourish.

It's all part of the process. I must say these posts and all the others I have gleamed over make my day. Some truly talented writers and then we have those that shouldn't been smoking the $%#$@#$ during English class. Tons of memories!!

5 hours ago, 27yanks said:

It’s kind of crazy how insightful some the posters are here. I feel insignificant at times. Probably one of the smarter message boards I’ve been on.

A big annoyance of mine is when your title is longer than the actual content you post. If you have, like, a one sentence thought, I don't think it warrants a new thread. Just find an existing thread to put it in.

Some people like to post a brand new thread for every little thought that enters their head. Try to contribute to the community and foster good discussion.

Err on the side of NOT posting a new thread. Find every opportunity to put your thoughts in an existing thread. If there is no place for it and you think it is meaningful and well developed THEN start a thread.

If you are referencing a tweet, a video, an article, or some other existing content, embed it or at least link to it in your post.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2